Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

TimothyAbraham Timothy Abraham

#MCFC goalkeeper Shay Given is definitely one of those under consideration by #AVFC boss Alex McLeish to replace Brad Friedel as number one.

TimothyAbraham Timothy Abraham

The major obstacle for #AVFC signing Given - as with any player leaving #MCFC these days - is reaching agreement on wages.

Latest from our friend Tim.

Are we friends again now? :winkold:

Apologies for yesterday, always were pals, just like being honest mate. So whats the chances of this one happening?

Depends on Given and in particular what he wants with wages and/or whether an agreement can be reached with Citeh.. McLeish has definitely put the feelers out though.

Is the Foster thing dead, or are we willing to wait?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought on signing younger players.

Maybe we are looking for a slightly older player in a vital position because we keep having our better younger ones pinched.

So we could keep Given for 4/5 years. where as Foster could attract interest from say Arsenal in a year or two if he is great.

Mirror reporting it's going to be done soon for 4Million and 65k a week deal.

Jesus. Whoever is signing the cheques needs their heads lookin at. Makes absolutely no sense from a financial point of view.

And here was me thinking that MoN had left.

Mirror reporting it's going to be done soon for 4Million and 65k a week deal.

Jesus. Whoever is signing the cheques needs their heads lookin at. Makes absolutely no sense from a financial point of view.

And here was me thinking that MoN had left.

Good players = more points = more money for the club (from a number of streams).

Football is all about gambles.

The only realistic alternative seems to be Foster and we all know there a number of roadblocks with that deal happening.

I really dont think wages will be a stumbling block. Given seems very genuine, more interested in the football than money. He has been sitting on the bench with City for a year now and will be itching to become a regular somewhere again. He will definitly push for the move. Met him about 8 years ago and asked him to sign for Villa, he laughed. Nice bloke and has been a top keeper, has 3 top seasons left and will be a great signing for us if it happens.

The only realistic alternative seems to be Foster and we all know there a number of roadblocks with that deal happening

Plenty of players GK's out there. Kuszak, Al-Habsi, Kameni, Ruffier. None of those are unrealistic. They are all younger than Given and they all have the advantage of actually having played football in the last year.

Signing Given makes no sense

The only realistic alternative seems to be Foster and we all know there a number of roadblocks with that deal happening

Plenty of players GK's out there. Kuszak, Al-Habsi, Kameni, Ruffier. None of those are unrealistic. They are all younger than Given and they all have the advantage of actually having played football in the last year.

The 2 premier league goal keepers you've listed are not as good and the other 2 have not played in the premier league so there is an additional risk attached.

It isn't always about making money or bringing players on. Sometimes its about here and now. SG would come straight in and do his stuff for 2-3 years at least. The fact he's not played much in the past 12 months could also be turned into an advantage, especially after his shoulder injury.

I'd have him over Kuszak, Al-Habsi, Kameni all day long. Dont know anything about Ruffier so cant comment on him.

Kuszak barely played last year, 2nd last game of season sticks out for me. He was disasterous and I've yet to talk to a Utd fan that rates him.

Al-Habsi- average, would struggle with more pressure on him at a bigger club. Wigan is his level.

Kameni- decent but not quite at Given's level

I just cant shake the feeling that shoulder injury of his will recurr after five games of the season, leaving us with an expensive cripple on the books whilst having to make do with Andy Marshall in goal for rest of the season.

Worst case scenario of course :lol:

I'd say the medical would be very thorough.

Also if IRC he's shoulder problem was that it kept dislocating. Similar to curtis davis. It's quiet common and the surgery fixes the problem, yet the recovery time is a long.

He'd be well over that now and champing at the bit to get going again.

Very experienced prem and international keeper. Great bit of business for me.

I just cant shake the feeling that shoulder injury of his will recurr after five games of the season, leaving us with an expensive cripple on the books whilst having to make do with Andy Marshall in goal for rest of the season.

Worst case scenario of course :lol:

I agree. The last two Villa players who had shoulder injuries didn't exactly set the footballing world on fire - Luke Moore and Curtis Davies :(

(Edit - due in part to the original and subsequent recurrences of injury I would think BOF)