• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I don't think it is an issue of supporting the Board or getting behind them or not.

The issue for any up and coming manager is simple. Can this club provide me with the platform on which I can develop and achieve?

It is already clear that many in the game simply do not agree that Villa can meet their ambitions.

The club does not have the financial resources to kick on to the next level.

Lerner is known to be looking for new investors. How secure does that make the club in the short and the medium term?

The squad needs some major surgery, five or six significant buy and not just one of two. I reckon most managers can see that they are not going to be able to get these resources.

Hence the issue with Moyes. If he likes Everton and Kenwright he might as well stay there if Everton are fighting for the same kind of league position as the Villa!

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, am I the only person in the world that things McCleish could actually do ok here and is a decent manager?

However, if he were appointed (I don't think he will be) then sadly some elements of our support will work overtime to ensure he is never seen as a success, whatever he does.

Bit like Houllier then

Hes the cheapest option

Not if we have to pay £5M compensation he's not!

Why aren't we looking at Hughes?- because he walked out on Fulham!!!...

Erm hang on a moment didn't McCleish, in far more a acrimonious circumstances.

The whole thing makes no sense and for the first time in a long time I agree I don't think MM knows much more than any of us!

It is not going to be McLeish.

The board discounted Hughes for the same thing McLeish has just done.

There are other managers available who would make more sense.

I'd say there is no chance we'd look past other managers to go out of our way to hire someone who goes against our 'loyalty' stance and is disliked by the fans.

People are on a wind up making this link.

Why are the club making so many approaches for different managers. Surely you identify the man you want then contact his agent and try to get him in. If he doesn't want it then you move on to the next target. You don't speak to 10 different managers many of whom are not suitable and then pick the best one.

Mysteryman

From a position of relative calm having received what I considered on Sunday night a message that I presumed had been conveyed to the person by the inner sanctum I have to hold my hands up here and say I am not 100 percent sure NOW . Unlike the Hughes one where I am 100 percent I think my messenger and me was premature with saying it won't be McCleish !

The words coming back to me ' We can't keep discounting everyone and nothing is impossible ' leads me to think there is a consideration of McCleish . I think it would be the biggest mistake of Randy's ownership if true as simply McCleish will not be given any time no chance and will be berated . He would need to win our first 6 games playing like Barcelona to have any chance with the fans . For what it's worth he comes across as a decent guy and if he had come to us from anywhere but Blues I think he may have a chance but that and the dire football throghout his reign simply cannot see how it would work and why we would want him . I still though don't think we will appoint him but I aint nowhere near as sure as I was now as obviously other targets are looking less likely and they are keeping options open .

Meltdown begins guys!

I said yesterday that MM had been guessing all along. I got a few pelters for that.

I posted yesterday morning that McLeish was being considered, and people just kept on quoting drivel that MM had posted. 'See, MM says he aint coming here so just shut up youre wrong'.

This MM bloke has you lot hanging off his every word and wont hear a bad word said about him.

Mugs the lot of ya. :winkold:

Like i said yesterday...its McLeish.

"I told you so's" really do say a lot about a person in my opinion, people want to hold on to any hope they can, and ITK posts help no matter if they are wrong or right.

Nobody likes a smart arse and its not done yet as bad as it is looking.

Not so much of a told you so, more of a wake up call to the numptys who believe every word this bloke writes.

I posted a bit of ITK yesterday and got abuse for it. Uncalled for. Dare i say it, you were probably one of the ones dishing out the abuse.

Who are you to call everyone a numpty mate? and why should we all listen to you?

Fair do's you got something right, but that doesn't mean your a forum god, and give you the right to slag off MM. He's tried and trusted and very honest about if he know's it or it's a rumour.

Don't see the problem you have with him.

Just listening back to the monday night club on 5live. I am really starting to hate Pat Murphy, what a clearing in the woods.

I agree, up until the last few weeks I always liked Pat Murphy and thought that he was one of the good reporters when it came to Villa i.e. fair and straight to the point, not overly negative and not overly positive.

But he has been a massive prick over the appointment (or lack of) the new manager. I can only assume it because we are conducting our business privately and not letting on to the press. I'm sure this doesn't make their job easier and they therefore have to make stories and are often pissed off off about the whole thing!

Why are the club making so many approaches for different managers. Surely you identify the man you want then contact his agent and try to get him in. If he doesn't want it then you move on to the next target. You don't speak to 10 different managers many of whom are not suitable and then pick the best one.

Just being diligent.

Unlike most fans, it seems, Randy is not willing to go purely on common opinion or general reputation - he'd rather get them in, listen to them and make up his own mind.

I can't see how that is a bad thing.

You don't speak to 10 different managers many of whom are not suitable and then pick the best one.

Thats exactly what you DO do.

I think its called "shortlisting" You interview/contact a range of potential candidates and see what comes out. It doesn't hurt to chuck in a couple of wild cards either.

I'm not worried. It won't be McLeish.

We paid MON off, we've paid off GH this season, there is no way by the Power of Greyskull AND Paul McGrath that we will pay off Small Heath for appointing AM.

8) Relax people. Breathe.

I've always supported Randy and The General, particularly over that rat **** O'Neill last season, and I think they're good guys but even considering McLeish shows such a colossal lack of judgement it makes me seriously worry about their competence for the first time.

I think they were seriously considering appointing him and will talk to him but after the (completely justified) fan reaction they will look each other in the eye and say "are we going to do this?" and decide no. It would show such contempt for the fans' wishes and feelings and instinctively Randy in particular doesn't like trouble.

We'll look back and laugh about this. Possibly. :D

Erm - the only one we know for certain the club has actually approached is Martinez.

Everything else is pure scuttlebutt, ITK, chinese whispers and Twitshit.

Sure, perhaps where there is smoke there is fire, but we keep coming back to the fact that only Faulkner & Lerner really know what's going on. Who knows if even Generall Krulak knows?

Make of this what you will.......

Friend of mine got friendly with a relative of Kev macs a couple of weeks ago whilst travelling.

Got a text last night saying she says its Mcliesh.

Now i obv dont know the full conversation with Kev mac, and Im inclined to go with MM on this 1 and say Kev Mac knows no more than us.

Hes the cheapest option

Not if we have to pay £5M compensation he's not!

Why aren't we looking at Hughes?- because he walked out on Fulham!!!...

Erm hang on a moment didn't McCleish, in far more a acrimonious circumstances.

The whole thing makes no sense and for the first time in a long time I agree I don't think MM knows much more than any of us!

This.

None of this makes sense, also if the chairman of sha is to be believed we made an approach whilst AM was still in charge,doesn't sound like the way we do business at all.

Does no one else want to join us? It's the only reasonable explanation if we are scraping the barrel to talk to AM.

What's this I see about people mentioning comments by the General saying Eck would do better with our resources, I can't find this?

This is the one people are up in arms about. Don't know if it is actually him or not though.

"Richard, you know I am not going to tell you anything. I will say that the uproar over McLeish is absolutely uncalled for....he certainly has proved he can manage in the big leagues...just imagine what he could do if he was with an owner who supported him."

"First off, NO ONE is confirming a rumor...I am just stating a belief. You all cling to the fact that he has seen his lads relegated twice...well, the first time he was not with the Club long enough to make much of a difference. Secondly, ...look at the owners he has worked for and their support of him monetarily. Then look at Randy and what he provides to his Managers. Third, look at his record with other Clubs...as a Manager and player. Check with Sir Alex and ask him about the man...you will get an entirely different sense. All I am saying is that the fact that he managed BCFC should not be the driving factor. Those fans who X the man out because he managed our biggest rival just seem to miss the point. YES, Randy and the Board understand the feeliings of the Fans...we are neither deaf nor blind. At the same time, whether it would be this man or any other, we need to do what we think is right for the Club. NO action is taken without HUGE input from many knowledgeable people. Honest to goodness, if a single man can cause all the fans to abandon ship, that is a sad state of affairs. What you are basically saying is, "Randy, let us pick the Manager...we know more than you, those who are advising you, those who are in the game and know the individuals, those who make a living recommending managers and players, etc. etc" Sorry, that just doesn't seem right to me. Again, I am not confirming the rumor...just simply stating my feelings...as a FAN!!!!!!!!"

There are a number of things about all this that have really wound me up and despite trying to keep my on counsel I have to put them out there.

As a footballing business I would expect my club to consider all options when it comes to the choice of manager, even if in the long run the chances of actually appointing them are slim. This is part of due diligence and shows that you are doing things in the right way.

As a footballing business I would expect my club not to be influenced by uninformed external influences. At the end of the day the Chairman, CEO and Board stand or fall by their own decisions and need to be free to make those decisions and also not to be rushed into a poor decision, as I think the comments from GK were trying to convey.

The only comment that has actually come out of VP was in relation to Martinez after Whelan spoke to the press to say we have made a formal and professional approach to Wigan to ask to speak to their current manager.

There have been no other comments coming out of VP but every ex-player/manager/journo with someone prepared to listen to them knows what the hell is going on in VP and unfortunately this is what is widing people up. Idle speculation and poor journalism from people who have no sources inside VP to give them the inside track.

As a footballing business I would expect my clubs legal advisors to seek the opinion of another club as to the position they feel is in existance in respect of a manager who has just resigned so if they did choose to speak to that person they would not end up in a ligitious position.

Pannu(Pingu) has stated that for all he knows RL has flown out to meet AM to discuss the vacant position at Villa. Likewise for all I know RL may have flown to Vegas to have a night with cheap hookers, drinking whiskey and blowing the family fortune on Red.

ALl this talk of protesting about a manager that the bookies think we will appoint will do nothing but to provide the idle press with more column inches and add to the growing furore that Villa is a club in crises and doesn't know what they are doing, which I actually believe they do.

Don't get me wrong, I think the appointment of AM would be wrong on so many levels but that is my personal choice. I also though Saunders moving to the scum was his biggest mistake ever at the time, but being somewhat older and wiser now I can see the political motive RS had behind the move in respect of shafting the Bendalls.

Lets give this time. If it turns out that AM is appointed protest in what ever way you want. Don't go to games if you want, but please, please, please don't listen to every bit of tripe being spouted by the great multitude of people in the know, because really they don't.

UTV VTID

It's going to be McLeish. There are no smoke and mirrors as our board are not savvy enough to conduct a diversion campaign. Lerner has an atrocious record of appointing managers - a record he seems set to continue with. The board are PANICKING. Choppy waters ahead folks.