• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Those of you wanting Rijkaard, Villa will do their homework on him as well as interview him, if they feel he warrants an interview. Just because he has a big name in football does not guarantee that he'll get an interview though. By the same token, Moyes MIGHT decide that he's taken Everton as far as he can and MIGHT decide on freshening up his career, stranger things have happened.

Clearly, Aston Villa don't really give a shit how the media report their stories. That makes Randy the better man. He does things HIS way, screw the reaction of the media. It's only us fans who care about what the media say about our club, and that's because so many fans are taken in by the opinions of newspapers/radio/television etc. Ignore it all. Have faith in Randy. We will get the Manager Villa feel will take us forward, not the man the media tell us to get.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rijkaard ticks the boxes for me. He has the name and his experience outside the UK outweighs the fact that he has yet to work over here but I think the investment he would want may be likely to be similar to what Rafa would have wanted so this and his lack of PL experience may make him unlikely (which would be a pity).

I would like to see Moyes but can't see him making the move so for me it all points to Hughes and we need to forget any concerns we may have had about his deciding to leave Fulham (he may have done it because it would be easier for us to get him as we had him as a candidate before MON left and I don't see why we should hold his ambition against him).

The Martinez thing has made an appointment more difficult and the list of names is being reduced as candidates rule themselves out or we rule them out. We need to get this done soon to try to keep the likes of Downing & Bent at our club, to stop the press negatives about us (which will otherwise begin to stick) and to do a few deals on players coming in before other clubs have had their picks and we are left with much reduced options. If we would be prepared to pay Small Heath compensation :winkold: surely we could pay Fulham something to get Hughes in place now or make another appointment that will show without doubt that the Wigan boss was just a fall back option.

I think you're missing the point.It is only worthwile for Moyes to move to a club where he thinks he can achieve his goals.There are'nt that many teams bigger than Everton, and as said previously i just think we have more funds, which will enable him to hopefully achieve these goals.

So people what has been happening.

Not a lot by the sounds of the last three pages talking about conspiracy theories on whether terrorists were behind the 9/11 & 7/7.

I mean come on, what a joke this board has become.

Anything Villa related to report?

I also disagree about MON style football not breaking into the top 4. Are you forgetting we very nearly made it 2 seasons in a row? If MON had been a little bit more tactful with his transfer budget and not played the same 11 players every single game where possible there is absolutely every chance we would of made it using the style of play he used. It was effective... love it or hate...

i just think we have more funds

But do we have enough to fill the gap between 9th & 4th Rotterdam1982? For me, Moyes can afford to sit and wait for a top 4 job to fall into his lap unless he sees Everton's lack of investment likely to see his stock fall next season because they will drop like a stone down the league. But I would back him to be able to use what limited funds he had to keep them where they have been for the last few years anyway.

Think our best is now going to be Coyle.

Moyes isn't realistic, why ruin what you've done with Everton by turning your back on them and joining a club who, at best, are on a par with them.

If Coyle comes in, continues Houllier's footballing philosophy and signs Daniel Sturridge, then I'll be a lot happier about the forthcoming season than I am at the moment.

If it takes someone 9 years to realise something that was plainly obvious to most people several years ago then I would worry about giving that person a job. Could you imagine how long it would take this person to realise that something wasn't right with the team!

EFC appointed Moyes from Preston. They were taking a chance on a manager who had NO previous experience in the PL and no doubt some of their fans were seriously underwhelmed.

Having taken the football club into a CL position once, he's built Everton into a top 6 side, who have consisitently been one of the toughest teams to play against, despit the fact that his best players have been also consistently sold from under his feet. Like Martinez he probably feels a sense of loyalty to a club who were willing to give him a chance at the very top level.

Everton are in financial woes and they simply haven't got the clout to go out and buy a Darren Bent.

From the ITK i've heard he has been and will remain our No 1 target since the day MON walked out on the club.

Nothing has changed the difficulty appears to be prizing him away from EFC and if we can't then it would make sense to have a Plan B.

I think Coyle would be brillant, he manage to get Bolton out of the relegation zone last season, played really well this season with limited resources, got a semi final in the FA Cup, his team played good football and had a never say die attitude, shown by the amount of late goals scored by them. I personally thought he should have been our first choice from the off. Especially if you seen the way Burnley played when he was in charge, beating loads of team in the Carling Cup, getting promoted, playing really well whilst they were here and then you saw teh affect of what happen when he wasn't in charge.

My 1st choice for the Job.

Think our best is now going to be Coyle.

Moyes isn't realistic, why ruin what you've done with Everton by turning your back on them and joining a club who, at best, are on a par with them.

If Coyle comes in, continues Houllier's footballing philosophy and signs Daniel Sturridge, then I'll be a lot happier about the forthcoming season than I am at the moment.

I think we offer Moyes a better chance of success than he currently has at Everton. I think its pretty obvious that he's taken them as far as he can under current circumstances. He has never and probably never will be given a substantial amount of transfer funds.

I think the jo he has done at everton on such a tight purse and such transfer restraints is brilliant. I think as it stands with the clubs that Everton would like to compete with spending money and considerable money at that even with his managerial skills he's fighting a losing battle and he must know it.

Villa would offer moyes a job that would be secure, I think randy would like a long serving manager and he would provide him with funds, okay they might not be on same level as city but 2/3 times what he would get at everton.

For me Moyes is the man id like in charge and i think if we got the opportunity to talk with him then he's join. imo.

TimothyAbraham Timothy Abraham

@

@bbcwmmiketaylor @astonvilla_view Indications I've had from people close to #EFC that Moyes would only leave if he is offered huge backing.

1 hour ago

Huge as in probably Man City and Chelsea huge! Wish it was Aston Villa huge!

Not sold on Coyle, initial thought is that the job is too big for him. Then I think Harry at Spurs, he's made a name as a wheeler dealer at the bottom end of the prem and has done okay (well more than) at Spurs since being given a shot. Gut still thinks the Villa Job might be too early for Coyle.

I think the one manager that has been linked with us that i would most want to be a success at Villa is Simon Grayson....

Does that mean i want him? Not necessarily but i would wish him all the best and wouldn't be too upset.....

really like the guy and the way his teams play football

I also disagree about MON style football not breaking into the top 4. Are you forgetting we very nearly made it 2 seasons in a row? If MON had been a little bit more tactful with his transfer budget and not played the same 11 players every single game where possible there is absolutely every chance we would of made it using the style of play he used. It was effective... love it or hate...

I agree with this ^^^

For me what MON did was almost a copy of when we won the League in 1980/81. He played a settled side with primarily counter attacking football & didn't use many players at all over the season. I found this very interesting as it highlighted exactly how the game has changed since then... you now have to have a bigger squad. We saw the late season burn out over & over as we are now competing against teams with practically 2 teams of 11 at their disposal.. the problem we have is funding the second 11 at a suitably high standard to compete in that final 3rd of the season.

The MON era was invaluable in that it has clearly shown a way forward in my eyes..

1. Can we compete with our 1st 11? ...............Yes we can..just about though it does need attention now since O'Neill left.

2. Can we compete over a season? ...............Not without a stronger 2nd 11 & a manager capable of using them properly.

I don't think we are a million miles away.. we have a solid though improvable youth set up which does regularly feed decent players through & this is an advantage we have over virtually every other club already. We just need to step that up another gear Ajax style & we need a strong manager in place to see this & have the philosophy to put it into place. It will of course take several years of hard work & key to it all CONSISTENCY! something we certainly did not have last season!

Of course this has to be done whilst bringing costs into line with new regulations which is a disadvantage when put against Man U & to a much lesser extent Liverpool & Arsenal, we will be in the same position as regards teams like, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, Newcastle, Everton & 1 or 2 others But the rest it will give us an advantage over. Importantly the only real difference will be the like of Chelsea & Man City will be reigned in a bit which can surely only help in the long run?

Now add in our superior youth set up & we can indeed look to start closing the gap ...

We just need a manager now :lol:

As we go through yet another round of searching for a manager it would be interesting to know the level of season ticket sales to date compared to that of the same time in the previous 5 years. The way things are going Randy Lerner could set some sort of record for the lowest average attendance in a season as well as the highest during his tenure.