• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

It does seem that Villa fans expectations have risen a lot in the last 5 years and thats because of the investment we got. I cant believe the amount of people who would be upset at the thought of giving a Hughes, a Coyle or a Martinez the job concerns me a little.

In the past 20 years we've highered Brian Little, who had very little Premier League experience (can you imagine that appointment now?) to John Gregory who was at Wycombe, the internet would explode if we gave Gary Waddock the job this week. Both did very good jobs.

Many fans have been writing on here we need a manager whos won things or a manager who has champions league experience etc, i think these fans need to get real, because we arent Chelsea, Man Utd and we dont have Man Citehs money.

i agree with the first and last parts of your post however you go off on an erroneous tangent in the middle. appointing brian little was more like when bolotn appointed owen coyle or more so when liverpool first got dalglish. ex player - and in the case of dalglish and little "legendary" ex players coming back to their home club. they are always going to get given more leeway and goodwill from the fans than someone who is just a hired hand.

if sid was given the job tomorrow people may be concerned at his lack of experience but we would all want him to succeed and give him every chance to do so. it wouldnt be the case if it were say, steve mcclaren - or gary waddock!

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting post from the general, surprised he didn't blame MON somehow.

He claims in terms of ambition it doesn't matter who we appoint, well let's see how Stuart downing and Darren bent feel next summer if we have a crap season.

Also it's extremely patronising considering this is the same board that took ages to then hire houllier and see us in a relegation battle until the 37th game of the season. Randy is also a man who has made shit managerial appointments in a sport he does actually know a lot about.

a quick point, we were clearly out the relegation battle once we beat West Ham tbh ...(not saying that's great, but was hardly 37th game)...

but anyway, a more important point, highlighted in bold. You clearly don't understand the word then do you?

what has ambition got to do with having a crap season or not?

we could get Ancelotti and finish 8th - we showed 'ambition'

we could get McClaren and finish 6th - no 'ambition' ...

now I'm not saying that's what would happen but hiring someone who you don't believe is 'ambitious' doesn't mean that therefore you must have a crap season or else the owners clearly aren't going to put him in charge if they believe that. :?

i think it is you who doesnt understand the word. ambition is NOT having a good or bad season, it is the POTENTIAL to do well.

we will have shown ambition in appointing a top manager, it shows that we want to try and be as good as we can

we will have NOT shown ambition if we get a shit or meh manager, it will show that all we expect is an average season

ambition is not a fact or an end result, it is the thoughts of how well you CAN do.

that is why we appoint a shit manager, our top players will go and we wont get top players in. because they will look at the AMBITION of the club

it is pretty basic, i cant understand why people are having difficulty ?

appoint a top manager and it shows ambition, it creates positivity amongst the players and fans and investors. it gives a BETTER chance , not 100 guarenteed but a BETTER chance of doing well

that is why there are top managers, not becasue they have fancy names, becasue they are successfull above the majority of other managers.

I'd rather pick a manager who will do well rather than people thinking 'he will do well' ....although even better if he fits both points.

ambition is a really shit word.

we will have NOT shown ambition if we get a shit or meh manager, it will show that all we expect is an average season

quoted you, again, what does that even mean? if we get a shit or meh manager? firstly, everyone has differing opinions on managers so it's not as simple as 'he's shit - he's good'

players leave due to the success of the team, not because of the 'ambition of a manager'....

It's just a stupid, pointless word which means very little and I think that shows in the way you described it. People harp on about 'ambition' as if it's some huge issue ....yet when described it's as simple as 'it will show that all we expect is an average season' ....which firstly isn't true and secondly means absolutely **** all, because results are what you need.

we will have shown ambition in appointing a top manager, it shows that we want to try and be as good as we can

If we appointed Owen Coyle for instance, it would be with the belief that he was the right man for the job and that he could push this club forward. That would be the ambition of Lerner, the board and Owen Coyle. Just because his name might not be as big as an Ancelotti doesn't mean the ambitions of the team and board are lower. :?

So those business people didn't too bad when bagging Darren Bent or when they supported MON to the hilt to challenge the top 4! Have they made mistakes? Yes I'd say they have just like any other chairmans do. However would I want anyone else running the club not a chance, they've been at the club 5 years now and do they know everything what goes on in the game, no but who does but I think they have a fairly good idea. We have fans jumping on the bandwagon because of the shit printed in the press. We will get the right manager, and if people seriously think we're targeting the likes of Grayson they're deluded.

ambition could be replaced with "statement of intent" if you prefer.

to be hypothetical for a moment:

when chelsea started getting really serious they brought in mourinho who had just won the european cup - it was a statement: "we arent **** about any more, we are getting the best and you better be ready..." gary megson was a promising up and coming manager at the time, but would it have sent out the same message if they got him instead?

i agree that "showing ambition" is an ambiguous thing to say and proves nothing in itself but i totally understand what brummybloke is getting at. if you bring in someone who is known as a "scrapper" manager who might just be able to save your premier league skin you bring in mick mccarthy and show the world what your expectations effectively are for the forthcoming season. if you bring in someone who is either a) a proven "winner" or B) an up and coming manager who is highly regarded, you are shouting from the rooftops that you intend moving the club upwards and on to bigger and better things - in other words, you show ambition.

Many fans have been writing on here we need a manager whos won things or a manager who has champions league experience etc, i think these fans need to get real, because we arent Chelsea, Man Utd and we dont have Man Citehs money.

But the board did try for Ancelotti

So those business people didn't too bad when bagging Darren Bent or when they supported MON to the hilt to challenge the top 4! Have they made mistakes? Yes I'd say they have just like any other chairmans do. However would I want anyone else running the club not a chance, they've been at the club 5 years now and do they know everything what goes on in the game, no but who does but I think they have a fairly good idea. We have fans jumping on the bandwagon because of the shit printed in the press. We will get the right manager, and if people seriously think we're targeting the likes of Grayson they're deluded.

what happens when chairmen sign players is shevchenko.

when you let the manager pick who to buy you get darren bent.

us bagging bent wasnt because lerner decided we needed him, it was because houllier did and lerner trusted his judgement. couldnt do anything else could he really? after all it was only 4 months after he had appointed the guy to manage the team...

the fact that we were slow to replace mon and are now already slow to replace houllier is fact, it is nothing to do with opinion or what anyone has written in the press.

what happens when chairmen sign players is shevchenko.

when you let the manager pick who to buy you get darren bent.

us bagging bent wasnt because lerner decided we needed him, it was because houllier did and lerner trusted his judgement. couldnt do anything

else could he really? after all it was only 4 months after he had appointed the guy to manage the team...

the fact that we were slow to replace mon and are now already slow to

replace houllier is fact, it is nothing to do with opinion or what anyone has

written in the press.

What the hell are you on about now. The business men who know **** all about football concluded the Bent deal, Houllier even stated he left it to men at the top of the football club. You say slow but it takes time to get the RIGHT manager in. If we want the likes of Grayson on the Ellis type of manager it would have been done by now.

Southgate anyone?

Nope and I don't think you would find many who disagree with me on that one.

he has been periodically suggested during these threads and pretty much universally met with *facepalm* reactions!

I think I'd rather the club took their time and made the right appointment, rather than jumped at the chance to hire a manager and make the wrong appointment.

But judging by a lot of posts recently, there's a number of people who just want a manager signed now. Ridiculous really. Why not just go and get Steve McClaren now, because he'd clearly take the job?

I'm happy Lerner and Faulkner are not just going to jump at getting a shit manager and get it over with. Fulham got Jol. Well done to them, a manager I rate highly. But chances are he wanted to go back to the capital more than anywhere. We might have even approached him over the possibility but knocked us back. We don't know. So people should stop making assumptions that our board aren't acting quickly enough.

The longer this thing rumbles on until July, I'd say the higher the chance that we'll end up appointing Mark Hughes. And that wouldn't be an all together bad thing. Decent manager. Ideally we'd want him sooner than that, but I'd rather get Hughes in July than McClaren this week.

I mean the players are still on holiday! This is not the same as having no manager five days before the season.

The General asked for 'patience and calmness over the next week OR TWO'!!

Great......we should be on Next Manager pt8 by then!

And if at the end of the possible 'two' weeks we sign someone of the calibre of Grayson or Mcleish, what sort of 'signal of ambition' will that create?

Tempted to have a bet on Curbishley.

Will probably be met with negative reaction on here from his playing days but his managerial record is very good. Far better than Martinez's record.

The only black mark against him is that he bought some real dross at West Ham.

My shortlist would be Moyes, Van Gaal, Ranieri, Coyle, Curbishley and Sanchez Florez but I think only 2 of them would come to the Villa.