• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Just come on to VT to see what is being said about the story plastered all over the front page, back page and page 4 of today's Sunday Mercury about the Villa wanting McLeish. Not much to see here then.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting post from the general, surprised he didn't blame MON somehow.

He claims in terms of ambition it doesn't matter who we appoint, well let's see how Stuart downing and Darren bent feel next summer if we have a crap season.

Also it's extremely patronising considering this is the same board that took ages to then hire houllier and see us in a relegation battle until the 37th game of the season. Randy is also a man who has made shit managerial appointments in a sport he does actually know a lot about.

After the last 12 months I don't see any problem in questioning certain things.

What should we do then march on VP demand everyone leave and let the fans take over?

Obviously not, but i really dont see what you can do.

Just relax and let them do it, as some have said we deserve to have owners like West Hams or Blackburns the way we stamp our feet when not getting we want, in the time we want and in a particular way we want.

I can't imagine for one second that Moyes would leave Everton. Why would he ? At Everton he almost has security of tenure, he likes the club and the club likes him.

If Lerner and Faulkner have plans for Hughes why would they have gone through the Martinez exercise ? Wouldn't make any sense.

I would like to think that they would at least consider interviewing Rijkaard. If we are to improve the quality of our football, who better to build our organisation from top to bottom than a qualified player and manager whose roots are deeply based in Total Football.

We are not going to be able to compete with Chelsea, Spuds, Arse, Plop and the Mancs teams unless we upgrade from the over achieving MON tactics and continue on from where Mr H left us.

It would make sense to me to bring in Rijkaard and have him install a Barca system in the Academy and the Club as a whole. Randy must not make the mistake of settling for the mediocrity that lurks in the list of potential managers.

Managers like Hughes, Moyes and Benitez will keep you in the Premiership but between them apart from a couple of pieces of silverware that Benitez accumulated none of them have had the success that Rijkaard had at Barcelona.

Many people credit Rijkaard as the man who developed the youth academy there, though in reality it has been around for over 30 years, but seriously excelling in the last 10... way before Rijkaards time.

I think it is wrong to give so much credit to one person, as it is very much a team effort, on top of which the credit is going to the wrong person.

Also, as Villa have created more England internationals than any other team, and almost half our squad is from the youth team, do we really need to invest in this much more? I think Cowans and Co. are doing a magnificent job and it does them discredit talking about shaking it up.

The reality of the situation is we need to keep our top players at the club and not sell them. This is where the problem lies. This team plus a couple of additions could easily of been challenging for Champions League:

Friedel

Warnock (Replaced)

Collins

Dunne (Replaced)

Young

Young

Barry

Ireland

Milner

Downing

Bent

The best manager in the world isn't going to turn a decent team into world beaters and the reality is Rijkarrd took world beaters and made them good.

The only thing we know for sure is that we approached Martinez, asked if he'd like to be interviewed and he said no. What we don't know is if Martinez was back up to managers of a higher calibre with much better records/greater experience or if he was our number one target.Time will tell I guess but if Martinez was at the top of the list you'd have to fear what the standard of manager are like that we are now approaching.

Lets hope that Martinez was well down the list and that we still have far better managers in the mix.

The Martinez situation only became a two ring circus because Whelan chose to shine his own ego and unprofessionally revealed the contents of a private and confidential letter.

It's old unimportant news and I doubt that anyone really gives a rat's ass about it. The media of course love sensationalising dross, but on a scale of importance from one to ten, the events of last week rated a zero.

Eventually Villa will have a new manager. It might take until the middle of July, but why would a business make a snap decision over something as important as the Manager? Do Major Corporations replace their Chief Executives within minutes of losing the outgoing one? Only in the football business do we see hasty appointments and we have all seen what happens to a club that does that.

The middle of July will still give an incoming manager time to be involved with a pre season of training and assessment. I am sure that Paul Faulkner has G-Mac, K-Mac and Sid organised and continuing the managerial responsibilities and I wouldn't be surprised to find them looking at a few new players despite the uncertainty of who will be the next manager.

As fans the best service we can offer the club is to let them get on with their selection without us pressuring them into making a horrible choice.

Anything new since last night?

Momentum gathering on Simon Grayson. Wedge put on him in Yorkshire....

Buy today's Sunday Mercury to read the latest media shit linking us to Alex McLeish.

I can only presume the powers that be are talking to Frank Rijkaard. We really can't pass up the opportunity to talk to the man. He would ask for a lot of money and a warchest that would put the gulf conflict in the shade. I don't think not having prem experience is a sticking point here. What he would bring with him would be invaluable. If reports are to be believed then just that he has asked about the job should make him high on the list, if not top. If we pass him up for someone like McCleish I will want to know why....and I mean **** why!

I can't imagine for one second that Moyes would leave Everton. Why would he ? At Everton he almost has security of tenure, he likes the club and the club likes him.

If Lerner and Faulkner have plans for Hughes why would they have gone through the Martinez exercise ? Wouldn't make any sense.

I would like to think that they would at least consider interviewing Rijkaard. If we are to improve the quality of our football, who better to build our organisation from top to bottom than a qualified player and manager whose roots are deeply based in Total Football.

We are not going to be able to compete with Chelsea, Spuds, Arse, Plop and the Mancs teams unless we upgrade from the over achieving MON tactics and continue on from where Mr H left us.

It would make sense to me to bring in Rijkaard and have him install a Barca system in the Academy and the Club as a whole. Randy must not make the mistake of settling for the mediocrity that lurks in the list of potential managers.

Managers like Hughes, Moyes and Benitez will keep you in the Premiership but between them apart from a couple of pieces of silverware that Benitez accumulated none of them have had the success that Rijkaard had at Barcelona.

Many people credit Rijkaard as the man who developed the youth academy there, though in reality it has been around for over 30 years, but seriously excelling in the last 10... way before Rijkaards time.

I think it is wrong to give so much credit to one person, as it is very much a team effort, on top of which the credit is going to the wrong person.

Also, as Villa have created more England internationals than any other team, and almost half our squad is from the youth team, do we really need to invest in this much more? I think Cowans and Co. are doing a magnificent job and it does them discredit talking about shaking it up.

The reality of the situation is we need to keep our top players at the club and not sell them. This is where the problem lies. This team plus a couple of additions could easily of been challenging for Champions League:

Friedel

Warnock (Replaced)

Collins

Dunne (Replaced)

Young

Young

Barry

Ireland

Milner

Downing

Bent

The best manager in the world isn't going to turn a decent team into world beaters and the reality is Rijkarrd took world beaters and made them good.

Our current England internationals are Downing, Bent and Young. Which one of those is from our youth set up?

The point the original poster is trying to make is that MON style football was never going to break us into the top 4. Yet that is pretty much the way we have played for a while now (even pre MON).

Cowans is part of that. That's not to say that Cowans is a bad coach - just that we need a change in style if we are to press further up the table.

Lets be honest - we cannot compete with Chelsea, ManUre and Man City on a funds level. So in order to compete, our football needs to be better than theirs. That is, everyone connected with the first team needs to be able to slot directly into our style of play - regardless of individual skill.

Given our limited budget, this can only really be done if we incorporate our youth into the same style as our first team. This is exactly what Barca have done.

So if we hope to emulate them, we need a manager who can set this in place. While Rijkaard may not have been the instigator of the Barca methodology, he excelled at it. So why not Rijkaard to continue what I believe Houllier started?

Buy today's Sunday Mercury to read the latest media shit linking us to Alex McLeish.

I don't normally say this, but thank God I live in London and can't pick that rag up

Friedel

Warnock (Replaced)

Collins

Dunne (Replaced)

Young

Young

Barry

Ireland

Milner

Downing

Bent

Our current England internationals are Downing, Bent and Young. Which one of those is from our youth set up?

The point the original poster is trying to make is that MON style football was never going to break us into the top 4. Yet that is pretty much the way we have played for a while now (even pre MON).

Cowans is part of that. That's not to say that Cowans is a bad coach - just that we need a change in style if we are to press further up the table.

Lets be honest - we cannot compete with Chelsea, ManUre and Man City on a funds level. So in order to compete, our football needs to be better than theirs. That is, everyone connected with the first team needs to be able to slot directly into our style of play - regardless of individual skill.

Given our limited budget, this can only really be done if we incorporate our youth into the same style as our first team. This is exactly what Barca have done.

So if we hope to emulate them, we need a manager who can set this in place. While Rijkaard may not have been the instigator of the Barca methodology, he excelled at it. So why not Rijkaard to continue what I believe Houllier started?

I knew someone was going to pick up on none of our players being from our youth team (bar potentially Barry). However, this team was for CL football next season... that team with a bench of Clarke, Bannan, Delfounso, Albrighton, Agbonlahor isn't bad and the season after these youth team players might make the step up. Let's face it we always do well in the FA Youth Cup so we are doing a lot more right than all other Premiership teams.

I also disagree about MON style football not breaking into the top 4. Are you forgetting we very nearly made it 2 seasons in a row? If MON had been a little bit more tactful with his transfer budget and not played the same 11 players every single game where possible there is absolutely every chance we would of made it using the style of play he used. It was effective... love it or hate...

This is undoubtedly true. Barca have had their system (La Masia) for years, long before Rijkaard came to the club (I think it was Cruyff who wanted a model based on the Ajax system).

You can see how it would be a lot easier for ex-Ajax man Rijkaard to fit into this system that was already up and running than to come into Villa and start from scratch.

As it goes, I think our youth system deserves a lot of credit - certainly we seem to get a lot more young players through to 'fruition' than other clubs in the Premier League.

I don't normally say this, but thank God I live in London and can't pick that rag up

You are lucky. You can pick up the London rags instead and read their anti Villa rants and their pro everything London bollocks.

Is anyone on here completely against the idea of bringing in a manager from this country with absolutely no Premier League experience?

It might be hard to take but we might be looking at the start of an entirely new era here at Aston Villa. It looks like Young is going to Man Utd, it's possible we could lose Downing too.

We are apparently unwilling to spend a huge amount of money to try and play catch up with the teams above us (if rumours about Benitez are true that is).

By the sounds of things, we're back to the start of a rebuilding process which took place once Martin O'Neill took over. Except this time we won't be replacing the entire team/squad, but using some very talented youngsters in our first team.

If the likes of Delph, Bannan, Albrighton, Clark, etc are going to get more of a look in this year, then we have to lower our expectations of where we are going to be in the short-term, and prepare ourselves for greater success in a few years time.

So is it completely wrong to want a young manager to come in and try and build a lasting legacy here at this club? Moyes came from the Championship and has done that at Everton. And if it weren't for losing some quality players here and there they could well be marching on the top four (the likes of Rooney is a big loss obviously).

It'd be difficult to hold onto top quality youngsters but if we can bring in a young talented manager that can keep the squad together then we could really have the chance to make some moves in the next five years.

I'm not making suggestions, and I'm not saying I'm happy that in the space of a season we seem to have regressed five years. But it's just something we might have to get used to.

The only disgraceful and embarrassing thing about this is the way media are reporting on it and what they are saying about the Villa. They are making stuff up as they go along, twisting events and actions to fit their pathetic stories. Have even one journalist mentioned that Wigan took full advantage of the situation and made it into a PR coup for them? I mean really, we didn't do much wrong at all but the papers decide to be vindictive about it since they haven't had any of their guesses come true yet, and Villa refuse to do a Redknapp and bleat about everything from football to his nan. They are being fantastically unprofessional and I would be amazed if even a fraction of what they write have any basis in truth. The best part is though, that once we have our man, be it our no 1 target or someone lower down the list, all of this will serve as inspiration to players and manager. We'll have a point to prove, and if we do well the hacks will eat their words.

I think we all have to remember that these papers are the same ones whose front pages tell us that terrorists were responsible for 9/11 & 7/7 and that Osama Bin Laden was only just recently killed by the US :lol:

I don't really know much about Rijkaard. Would definitely take him over McLeish but then again I don't think we are gonna get McLeish anyway. It's just paper talk.

This comment triggered a thought... no one really knows where the Mcleish rumour has come from... perhaps it came from Randy himself knowing that if he gets linked then it doesn't matter who we appoint, we'll all just be relieved that it isn't Mcleish...! ;):detect: