• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

The only disgraceful and embarrassing thing about this is the way media are reporting on it and what they are saying about the Villa. They are making stuff up as they go along, twisting events and actions to fit their pathetic stories. Have even one journalist mentioned that Wigan took full advantage of the situation and made it into a PR coup for them? I mean really, we didn't do much wrong at all but the papers decide to be vindictive about it since they haven't had any of their guesses come true yet, and Villa refuse to do a Redknapp and bleat about everything from football to his nan. They are being fantastically unprofessional and I would be amazed if even a fraction of what they write have any basis in truth. The best part is though, that once we have our man, be it our no 1 target or someone lower down the list, all of this will serve as inspiration to players and manager. We'll have a point to prove, and if we do well the hacks will eat their words.

I think we all have to remember that these papers are the same ones whose front pages tell us that terrorists were responsible for 9/11 & 7/7 and that Osama Bin Laden was only just recently killed by the US :lol:

But that's actually true. :|

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone on here completely against the idea of bringing in a manager from this country with absolutely no Premier League experience?

It might be hard to take but we might be looking at the start of an entirely new era here at Aston Villa. It looks like Young is going to Man Utd, it's possible we could lose Downing too.

We are apparently unwilling to spend a huge amount of money to try and play catch up with the teams above us (if rumours about Benitez are true that is).

By the sounds of things, we're back to the start of a rebuilding process which took place once Martin O'Neill took over. Except this time we won't be replacing the entire team/squad, but using some very talented youngsters in our first team.

If the likes of Delph, Bannan, Albrighton, Clark, etc are going to get more of a look in this year, then we have to lower our expectations of where we are going to be in the short-term, and prepare ourselves for greater success in a few years time.

So is it completely wrong to want a young manager to come in and try and build a lasting legacy here at this club? Moyes came from the Championship and has done that at Everton. And if it weren't for losing some quality players here and there they could well be marching on the top four (the likes of Rooney is a big loss obviously).

It'd be difficult to hold onto top quality youngsters but if we can bring in a young talented manager that can keep the squad together then we could really have the chance to make some moves in the next five years.

I'm not making suggestions, and I'm not saying I'm happy that in the space of a season we seem to have regressed five years. But it's just something we might have to get used to.

totally against? no, not at all if i thought that he could get the respect of the players. the problem is you are taking a huge risk in doing so and up until now just about everything lerner has done since he arrived has been measured, calulated and utterly safe. he may have backed mon with some big money to buy the odd overpriced youngster (delph for example) but putting an unproven manager in charge of his investment is a whole different leap of faith.

Many people credit Rijkaard as the man who developed the youth academy there, though in reality it has been around for over 30 years, but seriously excelling in the last 10... way before Rijkaards time.

I am well aware that Barca's system of football has been around for many years before Rijkaard was appointed coach. Total football was developed in Holland with people like Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff and arrived at Barcelona some time after 1973 when Cruyff transferred from Ajax. Rijkaard learned the system from Cruyff when Rijkaard played for Cruyff at Ajax.

Rijkaard started coaching at Barcelona in 2003 and had 5 mostly successful years with them. He did well at Barca because the system they used was the same one taught him by Cruyff.

I am not discrediting Sid and the other youth coaches at Villa. I think that they have done a great job and have been on record saying that the Academy was one of the best things that HDE created at B6.

However, no system is the finished article. I believe that a coach like Rijkaard can help the Academy become even better because of his previous playing and managing experiences at Ajax and Barca in a way that perhaps MON and DOL before him could not.

The object for any team should be to get better with every passing season. I believe that Cowans and Macdonald would be valuable assets for Rijkaard if he were to come to B6.

In his playing days Rijkaard was a stylish central defender and world class holding midfielder. I can think of several young players at B6 who would benefit enormously from being coached by a coach of Rijkaard's pedigree.

The only disgraceful and embarrassing thing about this is the way media are reporting on it and what they are saying about the Villa. They are making stuff up as they go along, twisting events and actions to fit their pathetic stories. Have even one journalist mentioned that Wigan took full advantage of the situation and made it into a PR coup for them? I mean really, we didn't do much wrong at all but the papers decide to be vindictive about it since they haven't had any of their guesses come true yet, and Villa refuse to do a Redknapp and bleat about everything from football to his nan. They are being fantastically unprofessional and I would be amazed if even a fraction of what they write have any basis in truth. The best part is though, that once we have our man, be it our no 1 target or someone lower down the list, all of this will serve as inspiration to players and manager. We'll have a point to prove, and if we do well the hacks will eat their words.

I think we all have to remember that these papers are the same ones whose front pages tell us that terrorists were responsible for 9/11 & 7/7 and that Osama Bin Laden was only just recently killed by the US :lol:

I'm worried for you mate, I really am :shock:

The feeling's mutual. :lol:

totally against? no, not at all if i thought that he could get the respect of the players. the problem is you are taking a huge risk in doing so and up until now just about everything lerner has done since he arrived has been measured, calulated and utterly safe. he may have backed mon with some big money to buy the odd overpriced youngster (delph for example) but putting an unproven manager in charge of his investment is a whole different leap of faith.

Absolutely agree that it's a big risk, but in my opinion (and many others) so was Houllier. Even without hindsight taking a manager with previous ill health who's been out of English football for eight years was a risk.

I think Randy is willing to take a risk if he thinks the manager is the right man for the club and team. I think Martinez would have been a risk. Young, not won anything, average success at Wigan. Making inquiries into Martinez might be a hint that actually we are looking for someone young, talented, to try and create something long-lasting, rather than straight up experience.

I think I can fairly confidently say that more people will be worried about you than Mantis. :)

You'll be telling me next that the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico was a genuine accident! :winkold: There's always an alternative view mate. These journos do as they're told. Maybe one of the other poster's is right and Randy has put out the rumour about McLeish so that we won't be disapointed by who the new manager is :lol:

You'll be telling me next that the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico was a genuine accident! :winkold: There's always an alternative view mate. These journos do as they're told. Maybe one of the other poster's is right and Randy has put out the rumour about McLeish so that we won't be disapointed by who the new manager is :lol:

But it was an accident (albeit caused by negligence).

The media know nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the betting companies put McLeish's odds down simply to create hype and get more money, given that there was no clear favourite after Martinezgate.

Many people credit Rijkaard as the man who developed the youth academy there, though in reality it has been around for over 30 years, but seriously excelling in the last 10... way before Rijkaards time.

I am well aware that Barca's system of football has been around for many years before Rijkaard was appointed coach. Total football was developed in Holland with people like Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff and arrived at Barcelona some time after 1973 when Cruyff transferred from Ajax. Rijkaard learned the system from Cruyff when Rijkaard played for Cruyff at Ajax.

Rijkaard started coaching at Barcelona in 2003 and had 5 mostly successful years with them. He did well at Barca because the system they used was the same one taught him by Cruyff.

I am not discrediting Sid and the other youth coaches at Villa. I think that they have done a great job and have been on record saying that the Academy was one of the best things that HDE created at B6.

However, no system is the finished article. I believe that a coach like Rijkaard can help the Academy become even better because of his previous playing and managing experiences at Ajax and Barca in a way that perhaps MON and DOL before him could not.

The object for any team should be to get better with every passing season. I believe that Cowans and Macdonald would be valuable assets for Rijkaard if he were to come to B6.

In his playing days Rijkaard was a stylish central defender and world class holding midfielder. I can think of several young players at B6 who would benefit enormously from being coached by a coach of Rijkaard's pedigree.

It's not that I disagree with anything that you write, it's just if you are going to get Rijkaard to do all of this, you'd need a commitment of at least 5 years. This would make him currently the 4th longest serving manager which shows how difficult getting someone to stay is, and I think he would up and leave for a bigger club as soon as one came.

On top of those concerns he is a higher risk than average because of his lack of experience in the PL. He didn't do anything amazing or produce an outstanding youth setup in his short time is Turkey did he?

I'm sure he makes a top class manager, given the right scenario, and he was an amazing player, but I just don't see him fitting with AV. If we get him, then great... Randy knows more than me, I trust him, and I will support Rijkaard 100%.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the coming transfer window pans out. We have the opportunity to bring on the next Barry, Cahill, Young or Milner from our talented crop of youngsters.

I guess our choice of manager will give us a strong indication of Randy's views about our way forward. I would be happy to see "coaching" rather than "contacts" at the top of our next manager's CV.

I understand your reservations VillaLion. I actually think that Ancellotti would be a greater risk of leaving if a club like Roma came along with an attractive offer than say Rijkaard would.

Rijkaard was at Barca for 5 years and I don't blame any European wanting to leave a Turkish Club. Surviving at Barca for 5 seasons is quite a feat. Clubs like Barca and Real Madrid have a rabid fan base and if you don't win every game they want you gone.

It doesn't matter who Villa appoint. If they are relatively successful they will always be at risk of another club wanting to lure them away. If I was Randy I wouldn't let that fear stop me from hiring the best available manager to do the job. The risks go with the territory.

[quote="Mantis

The media know nothing. I wouldn't be surprised if the betting companies put McLeish's odds down simply to create hype and get more money, given that there was no clear favourite after Martinezgate.

See i disagree with the comments on here about Moyes not coming, i think everything points to him coming.

He has been at Everton now for 9 years, and is constantly being frustrated by ythe lack of real invstment in the team.One thing Randy has done is invested well and above income from transfers,Everton can;t do that, they have no money or rich benefactor.

After 9 years he will be questioning, can i do any more or better, have i got any ambition, can i get better.He won't get those answers at Everton.

I'm saying the difference between us and Everton is funds, show him they are available, and i think he will come.

See i disagree with the comments on here about Moyes not coming, i think everything points to him coming.

He has been at Everton now for 9 years, and is constantly being frustrated by ythe lack of real invstment in the team.One thing Randy has done is invested well and above income from transfers,Everton can;t do that, they have no money or rich benefactor.

After 9 years he will be questioning, can i do any more or better, have i got any ambition, can i get better.He won't get those answers at Everton.

I'm saying the difference between us and Everton is funds, show him they are available, and i think he will come.

If it takes someone 9 years to realise something that was plainly obvious to most people several years ago then I would worry about giving that person a job. Could you imagine how long it would take this person to realise that something wasn't right with the team!