• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

The shitstorm that would rise from appointing (or even talking to) McLeish would make the McClaren-gate meltdown seem friendly.

The mans a failure in England full stop. The fact they call him their most succesful manager 'ever' despite relegating them twice says it all.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why isn't anyone puzzled that Roberto Martinez was high on the shortlist? I think we're scrapping at the bottom of the barrel

The porto fans probably said that when they appointed Mourinho and a few fans baulked at Ron Saunders.

Some say Martinez has great Potential and is very well thought of. I think you can add got iffy Ambition to that.

I don't know whether he is or is'nt but it's always a gamble, its equally a gamble with a Big Name in as much as soon as their stock rises they are off to bigger bucks territory.

so i guess, you are buggered if you do and buggered if you don't.

The way I see it is we are a big club, with a proud history and we have a lot going for us;

1 - we are in the Premier League - the best league in the world some might say

2 - we have a chairman that would appear to be happy in backing the manager

3 - we have beautiful stadium and state of the art training facilities

4 - we have a squad with a fantastic mix of youth and experience

5 - I really want to put the best fans in the world, but I am not sure I can!?

I am not sure if there is any truth in the paper talk that people do not want the job, but lets say there is a small element of truth in the fact they have reservations, we have to ask ourselves why? Could it be that perspective managers look at us fans and see the way some of us treated GH? Lets be honest, are you going to want a job where the people who surround you at home matches are abusing you when things go wrong or aren't quite going your way? I am not saying that we should blindly follow whoever is in charge, but surely we have to do better with the next manager - whoever it is!

UTV

Why isn't anyone puzzled that Roberto Martinez was high on the shortlist? I think we're scrapping at the bottom of the barrel

The porto fans probably said that when they appointed Mourinho and a few fans baulked at Ron Saunders.

Some say Martinez has great Potential and is very well thought of.

I don't know whether he is or is'nt but it's always a gamble, its equally a gamble with a Big Name in as much as soon as their stock rises they are off to bigger bucks territory.

so i guess, you are buggered if you do and buggered if you don't.

Mourinho did a much better job before he came to Porto.

Think of it like this, we sent out letters to 7 clubs on the same day asking if we can speak to their managers, but to keep the contact out of the media whilst we're in talks with their managers.

Dave Whelan agreed to us speaking to Martinez just like the other 7 clubs agreed to allow us to speak to their managers, Martinez because he feel he owes Dave Whelan something said no straight away when he heard we wanted to speak to him.....Dave Whelan felt he had no reason to keep it from the media that we've contacted him as we're not in talks with Martinez now as he has said no, but he can use Martinez saying no to his advantage to get more season ticket sales and make out how great an owner he is by getting Martinez to stay and making Martinez a saint for staying.

Martinez may have been 7th on the list, but he was the first one to say no he is staying where he is, so the media spins that and says Martinez was top of the list, when they haven't a clue who is on that list for starters.

All of that couldn't have happened as much as it could have happened, but let jump in and think of the worst first of all huh.

The term "high on the shortlist" is media driven. You/we have absolutely no proof whatsoever that this is actually the case, other than Villa asked to talk to him as part of the process. There is no proof that he would have been offered the position.

I've been keeping away from here as I find it frustrating, I am prepared to get behind the board on this. I will make my opinion known once I know who the manager is BUT I trust them 100%.

Football has changed - being famous has somehow become important to the modern manager - fear has been replaced by admiration - in the past a player just wanted to not get bollocked by his manager, now it seems he has to want to be him.

Mourhino and Guardiola are the coolest kids in class, they're the leader of the gang - the sergeant major manager is dead, Saunders would fail with modern footballers. I don't like that, but it's true.

You're right the sergeant major type is dead, but that has been replaced as you say, by a cool, deep thinking, calm, decisive type.

same shit, different colour.

The same goes at work..... no more shouting and balling, but the silence and dismissiveness can be as equally fearful.

just different tactics.

.....THINGS ARE ALWAYS CHANGING, BUT EVERYTHING REMAINS THE SAME.

PS Fans were moaning in the 1930's Villa buy all the best players.

The term "high on the shortlist" is media driven. You/we have absolutely no proof whatsoever that this is actually the case, other than Villa asked to talk to him as part of the process. There is no proof that he would have been offered the position.

I do have proof because it's on the official site from the statement.

He was sounded out and he pooed himself.

You have proof that he was high on the shortlist? I really want to see that, the statement on the OS don't say nothing about Martinez being high on the shortlist.

You have proof that he was high on the shortlist? I really want to see that, the statement on the OS don't say nothing about Martinez being high on the shortlist.

Roberto's qualities as a young and aspirational manager ensured him of a position high on our short list of potential new managers.

Roberto's qualities as a young and aspirational manager ensured him of a position high on our short list of potential new managers.

If true, I stand corrected. But it does not follow that he would be offered the position. As for your point about scraping the barrel, why wouldn't Villa want to talk to up and coming young managers? He could have turned out to be very useful with backing and time. I'd rather have had Martinez than appoint McLeish.

Jesus Mcleish favourite now (sorry been away cuple of days) i just layed Mcleish for £100 easy money there

You laid Mcleish? oooerr.

Yeah easy money for you mate, not a chance its going to be him, RL would have to lock and barricade himself in a room for a week before he came out if he made that appointment.

I think the one manager that has been linked with us that i would most want to be a success at Villa is Simon Grayson....

Does that mean i want him? Not necessarily but i would wish him all the best and wouldn't be too upset.....

really like the guy and the way his teams play football

No they bloody don't! Their hoof and rush football.

we'll have to agree to disagree...

i live in leeds and have seen them play plenty of times this season as my girlfriend is a leeds fan and i do not think they are a hoof and rush team....

Snodgrass, Gradel, Howson, Sam, Nunez and Becchio are all ball players...

i admit towards the end of the season the long ball may have been used more often but Becchio was injured and the big man Paynter came in so they had to adopt a different style....

Grayson is a potentially great manager for sure but i know it would be a hughe risk for Villa to take him on...

im just saying i wouldn't meet it with dismay