• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Moyes can afford to sit and wait for a top 4 job to fall into his lap unless he sees Everton's lack of investment likely to see his stock fall next season because they will drop like a stone down the league. But I would back him to be able to use what limited funds he had to keep them where they have been for the last few years anyway.

I don't think a top 4 job will drop in his lap til he can prove he can spend money, and not just that he can run a shoestring operation really well. Villa would give him the chance to do that.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the two worlds best managers in the world at the moment are Jose mourinho and Pep Guardiola.

Now i'm not sure on mourinho, but didnt they both work under rijkaard?

I think Rijkaard would do wonders for this club, but unfortunaetely i dont believe paper talk

I think the one manager that has been linked with us that i would most want to be a success at Villa is Simon Grayson....

Does that mean i want him? Not necessarily but i would wish him all the best and wouldn't be too upset.....

really like the guy and the way his teams play football

No they bloody don't! Their hoof and rush football.

We need to confirm a manager this week, before more players become unsettled and leave VP, it wont be long until the pre-season starts. We need somebody in to settle things down and get us ready for another season where i think 9-12 place is realistic.

Outs:

Brad F

A Young

Downing

Cuellar

Ins:

??????

Things could go proper Pete Tong if we are not careful, i am not 100% behind anyone at the moment, i dont think Coyle will leave Bolton, Moyes will stay at Everton and Benitez is not ideal. Chris Hughton did nothing wrong at Newcastle. Who knows.

Not sold on Coyle, initial thought is that the job is too big for him. Then I think Harry at Spurs, he's made a name as a wheeler dealer at the bottom end of the prem and has done okay (well more than) at Spurs since being given a shot. Gut still thinks the Villa Job might be too early for Coyle.

I would be careful calling 'arry' a wheeler deeler

I really don't know if this so called " Big Named Manager" is going to work for us.

Big named manager, spells big ego and easy ride for me.We need a grafter.

Ron Saunders was no big Name Manager, when he arrived, in fact he had no record of success.....In fact Doug Ellis didn't want him, Sir William and Harry Kartz did.

The interviewing process is the only time to find out, what we are proposing to take on.

We have to trust the powers that be.

We need to confirm a manager this week, before more players become unsettled and leave VP, it wont be long until the pre-season starts. We need somebody in to settle things down and get us ready for another season where i think 9-12 place is realistic.

You think we need a manager in this week to settle us down for a realistic 9th to 12th place finish.

Where is the progress and ambition in that?

We finished 9th last season after one of the most traumatic and messed up seasons we have had for quite some time so I bloody well hope that we aim higher than your suggestion.

I just can't see it being Hughes, Moyes, Mcleish or Grayson so who the hell is it going to be.

I love WIGANVILLAINS rearranged chant on another thread ....

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING!

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING!

That's just how it should be. :lol:

We did play a counter attacking style similar to the Saunders era, but there were some significant differences....The game is now quicker and requires a better level of ball control & possession, The saunders had all the players living local and comitted to the cause, thats was a pre requisite of RS.... We had defenders who would not have been involved in any way shape or form of high scoring reversals.... We had 2 goal scorers who had a telephatic understanding of each others play.....and probably most importantly, we had many players who were regarded as surplus at other clubs where they were moulded in to a unit at B6 and in some cases went on to International status ( when playing for England was special).....There was a clear case of watching players develop under Saunders at a remarkable rate of progress.

1. Neither the 77 team or the 81 team relied on counter attack.

2. Saunders spent money when he needed to ,Ken McNaught, Tommy Craig, Peter Withe, Tony Morley. I wouldnt say they were surplus to requirement because they were sold.

3. Fitness was required in a Saunders team and I'm not sure it was high on the list with St.Martin.

another pointer was,our home was a fortress in RS's days, where we were near invincible, unlike the 7-7-10- 8 wins under O'Neill, where we was so reliant on the counter attacking style, we had games at home where you would think we was the away team.....simply out possessed.

I agree with this.

We need somebody in to settle things down and get us ready for another season where i think 9-12 place is realistic.

I hope not.. if a new manager comes in and gets us anywhere near 9th-12th why exactly didn't we just let Houllier carry on then? We had our worst injury crisis for a while and still finished 9th.. not to mention the new manager will get pre season, I fully expect top 7 finish atleast (given Randy backs the new manager which i'm sure he will).

I really don't know if this so called " Big Named Manager" is going to work for us.

Ron Saunders was no big Name Manager, when he arrived, in fact he had no record of success.....In fact Doug Ellis didn't want him, Sir William and Harry Kartz did.

The interviewing process is the only time to find out, what we are proposing to take on.

Saunders was recommended to Ellis by Sir Alf Ramsey.

The Villa Job IMO represents a great opportunity, but will require much work and dedication to succeed.

Managers like Moyes, who have demonstrated a level of success in terms of football style and league position and an ability to bring players on, will

next, want to do it the easy way, with a boat load of money.

We need to find our own Moyes/ Mourinho/Guardiola.....but it takes balls to give someone a chance.

They are out there, its just spotting them or having a tip off.

I don't think a top 4 job will drop in his lap til he can prove he can spend money, and not just that he can run a shoestring operation really well. Villa would give him the chance to do that.

I'm not sure Villa would Saturdaygig. I think he would see the money we would make available as something near to a shoestring operation when compared to the riches that are available to the likes of the top 4, Spurs and Liverpool. I think he has already proved himself in the transfer market with what money Everton have made available to him over the years and I doubt if we would allow him to make enough big money deals to prove he can make the bigger deals that are common place for the top 4 and rare for us.

i dont think Coyle will leave Bolton

I think you are right SquaddieVilla but he may have done had we moved for him at the same time as we moved for Martinez. But he may now see himself as our second choice when for me he was always a step up on the Wigan boss.

Saunders was recommended to Ellis by Sir Alf Ramsey.

Its all a bit of a lottery Bill with an unknown, but you are more likely to hang on to them i.e Moyes/Martinez

If I was Randy, it would be David Dein i would be asking for tips.

.....but hey Sir Alf made a good shout, then

Randy must be thinking, If I'm going to have to lay out another 100 mill

I want it to be with someone who is going to take responsibility for it.....not a fly by night.

Football has changed - being famous has somehow become important to the modern manager - fear has been replaced by admiration - in the past a player just wanted to not get bollocked by his manager, now it seems he has to want to be him.

Mourhino and Guardiola are the coolest kids in class, they're the leader of the gang - the sergeant major manager is dead, Saunders would fail with modern footballers. I don't like that, but it's true.