• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I get what the general has said and in many ways he is right. Its not easy to get a manager in a week. But why have they started only a week ago. Houllier was very unlikely to continue. Everyone will say its out of respect to houllier blah blah but your running a business and should have prepared for both situations. At least do the background work 3-4 weeks ago.

I like how they try do things the right way but sometimes you need to bend some rules in this world to do what you want to complete. I have faith in Randy but i think we need better football men on our board. Someone like Ian Taylor or similar who knows the club and the game. Maybe houllier..

If it's not the managerial job keeping me up it's le mans!

Seriously, people that have been saying over the past few weeks about our club being a laughing stock need to take a step back and take a deep look at what they're saying. Chelsea have been managerless for longer yet they're not a laughing stock.

On a side note in Randy I trust!

I am a man of patience, and I don't mind RL taking his time to get his man.

But

I believe if one or two of our targets (Adam, N,Zogbia, Samba, etc) start moving and not to the Villa. Old Randy might be under a bit more pressure.

Hopefully get Moyesy in by the end of next week and let him rebuild our team. Hopefully bring Baines and Howard with him

Can't believe some of the nonsense some fans come out with. Randy Lerner is the best thing that has happened to Villa. I dread to think where we would be without him.

Almost certainly the Championship under Ellis and in severe financial difficulty, but hey let's forget that so some of the children on here can carry on stamping their feet and calling Lerner amongst other things 'a **** coward'.

agree with both of you here - life under Ellis would simply not bear thinking about - I believe that we are exceptionally lucky to have the access to our board (via Gen. K) that we have, and also to an owner who genuinely does (imho) have Aston Villa Football Club and it's fans at heart.

Let's listen to the General, and have patience.

As the General has stated, getting a new manager and the 'right' manager isn't like shelling peas. This sort of thing always strikes me as a bloody complicated process.

The fact they are finding this so hard and complicated tells you something in my opinion.

"Fact"?

Media opinion - no more no less

No the generals opinion actually, it's not as simple as going to buy a Balti pie to phrase it in the generals patronising way.

You can accept that,fine. But employing a new manager should not be complicated. Al fayed doesn't have a problem and he's a complete looney.

The fact they are finding this so hard and complicated tells you something in my opinion.

"Fact"?

No the generals opinion actually, it's not as simple as going to buy a Balti pie to phrase it in the generals patronising way.

You can accept that,fine. But employing a new manager should not be complicated. Al fayed doesn't have a problem and he's a complete looney.

Well, since Randy came in, we've finished above Fulham every year except for this one. What does that tell you? Perhaps we should give our ownership the benefit of the doubt here.

"Fact"?

Well, since Randy came in, we've finished above Fulham every year except for this one. What does that tell you? Perhaps we should give our ownership the benefit of the doubt here.

Absolutely, randy is the best thing to happen to this club in ages. All I'm saying is faulkner and his posse are crap when it comes this issue in particular.

And I will give them the benifit of the doubt, although after houllier I am well within my rights not to.

re the generals comments:

fulham lose manager unexpectedly, sign jol in no time. villa lose manager perhaps not expected but certainly a known possiblity for a couple of months. have we appointed anyone? are we close? we dont know, but we DO know that several possibles have knocked us back. the general has to realise that regardless of what is going on behind the scenes the way the club is doing things is making them look like they are dithering/indecisive/slow to react etc

the general has also claimed thet they wont be doing anything purely to get a thumbs up from the fans - but they did cancel mclarens interview purely because the fans werent up for the idea... for me, there is a bit of a contradiction there.

re the generals comments:

the general has also claimed thet they wont be doing anything purely to get a thumbs up from the fans - but they did cancel mclarens interview purely because the fans werent up for the idea... for me, there is a bit of a contradiction there.

That's what the media have said, what has General Krulak said more than once, they will not be doing things via the media, so the reality of it is, the media know nothing from the club....McClaren's people said only that there has been no contact with Aston Villa at all, he hasn't spoken to Paul or Randy.

So it's just media bollocks as to why McClaren never got an interview.

Well chelsea must be just as if not more clueless because they don't appear too have a whiff of a new manager either

the difference being of course that chelsea didnt use 4 different managers last season, and deemed a second place finish not high enough so sacked their manager. they have champions league football to offer and a squad that won the double the previous year.

in my opinion that means that chelsea are in a position to take their time and have proved fairly conclusively that they are quite good at selecting managers...

Ok if you want to take Hughes's first season then fair enough, but they finished 15th the season before and were struggling with Souness in the start of that season, but don't let the stats misguide you. If you can't understand why I think Hughes's 6,7,10 is akin to MON's 6,6,6 and understand why I think they are as good looking at budgets etc there is no point arguing with you.

look at the context of who also finished in the top half then?

when they finished 6th?

newcastle 7th

bolton 8th

west ham 9th

wigan 10th

when they finished 7th?

8th portsmouth

9th man city

10th west ham

when blackburn got those finishes competition was far more equal. the sky money was nowhere near what it is now and it was more open for average teams to get a higher place as shown in the league standings for those 2 seasons.

now with teams like man city coming from no where, spurs spending lots each season, moyes improving everton, no longer is there a top 4 with the rest up for grabs, it is a top 6 with the rest up for grabs

you will find DOL has identical finishes for villa to mark hughes first 3 years at balckburn

It dosent matter who they finished above the table still says they were the 6th.7th and 10th best team at that point. But you said you would except Moyes, his average premier league finish is 8.75(and thats not including his first finish season because he took over in march) Pretty much the same as Hughes, and i dont think he is massively better in my opinion.