• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Their quite good are they how many managers have they had since Jose.

Grant

Scolari

Hiddink

Ancellotti

yeah and what have they won in that time?

what is their average league position?

they can go and get almost any manager they want, we cant. thats why they can take their time.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their quite good are they how many managers have they had since Jose.

Grant

Scolari

Hiddink

Ancellotti

yeah and what have they won in that time?

what is their average league position?

they can go and get almost any manager they want, we cant. thats why they can take their time.

It's also the reason why it will take us longer.

We can't just go and appoint Hiddink.

my point was made to prove that you CANT compare villa with chelsea.

i didnt bring them up, it was in reply to someone saying that chelsea must be as clueless as villa because they havent appointed anyone yet.

Why not they both need managers? Just one is loved by the press! I remember when JPA played he got a lot of stick for not scoring, Torres gets he's trying hard. I say leave the press two it and I'm confident we will have a manager in the next two weeks.

Interesting post from the general, surprised he didn't blame MON somehow.

He claims in terms of ambition it doesn't matter who we appoint, well let's see how Stuart downing and Darren bent feel next summer if we have a crap season.

Also it's extremely patronising considering this is the same board that took ages to then hire houllier and see us in a relegation battle until the 37th game of the season. Randy is also a man who has made shit managerial appointments in a sport he does actually know a lot about.

After the last 12 months I don't see any problem in questioning certain things.

re the generals comments:

fulham lose manager unexpectedly, sign jol in no time. villa lose manager perhaps not expected but certainly a known possiblity for a couple of months. have we appointed anyone? are we close? we dont know, but we DO know that several possibles have knocked us back. the general has to realise that regardless of what is going on behind the scenes the way the club is doing things is making them look like they are dithering/indecisive/slow to react etc

the general has also claimed thet they wont be doing anything purely to get a thumbs up from the fans - but they did cancel mclarens interview purely because the fans werent up for the idea... for me, there is a bit of a contradiction there.

I can't find where he said they'd done that in his post, aren't we all agreed it's just more media bullshit (noting that McLarens people have said there had been no contact whatsoever, far less a cancelled interview)

Please don't do what the red tops do and mix and match someones statement and your opinion

As for looking slow and undecisive, they only look that way to those who want them to.

On one thing I disagree with Gen Krulak, getting a new manager is as easy as getting a balti pie from M & S (if they stock them), getting the right manager for what you want for the club is the difficult part

He claims in terms of ambition it doesn't matter who we appoint, well let's see how Stuart downing and Darren bent feel next summer if we have a crap season.

Also it's extremely patronising considering this is the same board that took ages to then hire houllier and see us in a relegation battle until the 37th game of the season. Randy is also a man who has made shit managerial appointments in a sport he does actually know a lot about.

a quick point, we were clearly out the relegation battle once we beat West Ham tbh ...(not saying that's great, but was hardly 37th game)...

but anyway, a more important point, highlighted in bold. You clearly don't understand the word then do you?

what has ambition got to do with having a crap season or not?

we could get Ancelotti and finish 8th - we showed 'ambition'

we could get McClaren and finish 6th - no 'ambition' ...

now I'm not saying that's what would happen but hiring someone who you don't believe is 'ambitious' doesn't mean that therefore you must have a crap season or else the owners clearly aren't going to put him in charge if they believe that. :?

i hope the general was just tired or made a mistake when he suggests

"As if one Manager sends a bigger "ambition" signal than another"

that has to be one of the most unfootball like statements of all time

so are we getting simon grayson then?

lets see what happens if you appoint him, do you think season tickets will go up? do you think he will be able to attract better players?

while he speaks alot of sense, that part of his statement was ridiculous and shows a complete lack of football knowledge.

You say we shouldn't be compared to Chelsea then don't compare us to Fulham, they had contact with Jol from the previous year so it was pretty straight forward.

you are just looking to argue any point i think.

when you were under the mistaken impression i was saying we were in the same position as chelsea you point out that we are actually in a very different situation.

when i correct you and point out that you misunderstood my point and that in fact us and chelsea are very different you tell me that it isnt true and we are both the same.

the bottom line is fulham and villa were in a very similar position a week ago and they have moved decisively and appointed a well respected manager. villa havent.

It does seem that Villa fans expectations have risen a lot in the last 5 years and thats because of the investment we got. I cant believe the amount of people who would be upset at the thought of giving a Hughes, a Coyle or a Martinez the job concerns me a little.

In the past 20 years we've highered Brian Little, who had very little Premier League experience (can you imagine that appointment now?) to John Gregory who was at Wycombe, the internet would explode if we gave Gary Waddock the job this week. Both did very good jobs.

Many fans have been writing on here we need a manager whos won things or a manager who has champions league experience etc, i think these fans need to get real, because we arent Chelsea, Man Utd and we dont have Man Citehs money.

lets see what happens if you appoint him, do you think season tickets will go up? do you think he will be able to attract better players?

while he speaks alot of sense, that part of his statement was ridiculous and shows a complete lack of football knowledge.

Well you are taking it out of it's full quote ...

To some fans it seems like just a simple act....and more importantly, a "signal" about something called "ambition." As if one Manager sends a bigger "ambition" signal than another....forget about whether that Manager "fits" with the Club.

, which is very different IMO. To me, he's basically stating, some fans believe a certain 'name' will automatically bring out success and appointing someone with a 'name' is more important than hiring the right man.

my personal take on it anyway.

totally agree.

to be honest i think generally half of what he says is very true, honest and forthright but the other half displays a total lack of knowledge and respect of the game, the club, the area and fans. unfortunately this is pretty inevitable when you have hired "professionals" brought in to a business that are not in any way shape or form from that background. lets face it, for all the good work the general does - and he does do a lot - he probably couldnt have found birmingham on a map 5 years ago let alone tell you what a balti pie is.

Do Fulham start their season early? YES

Did Jol want to manage in London? YES

Was Jol a Free Agent? YES

This is now the killer point?

Did Fulham do all the groundwork on Jol last season? YES

So like I said it's pretty straight forward, Villa are in the process of approaching clubs which is a lot more delicate hence what happened to Fulham when they approached Ajax last year.

a quick point, we were clearly out the relegation battle once we beat West Ham tbh ...(not saying that's great, but was hardly 37th game)...

but anyway, a more important point, highlighted in bold. You clearly don't understand the word then do you?

what has ambition got to do with having a crap season or not?

we could get Ancelotti and finish 8th - we showed 'ambition'

we could get McClaren and finish 6th - no 'ambition' ...

now I'm not saying that's what would happen but hiring someone who you don't believe is 'ambitious' doesn't mean that therefore you must have a crap season or else the owners clearly aren't going to put him in charge if they believe that. :?

i think it is you who doesnt understand the word. ambition is NOT having a good or bad season, it is the POTENTIAL to do well.

we will have shown ambition in appointing a top manager, it shows that we want to try and be as good as we can

we will have NOT shown ambition if we get a shit or meh manager, it will show that all we expect is an average season

ambition is not a fact or an end result, it is the thoughts of how well you CAN do.

that is why we appoint a shit manager, our top players will go and we wont get top players in. because they will look at the AMBITION of the club

it is pretty basic, i cant understand why people are having difficulty ?

appoint a top manager and it shows ambition, it creates positivity amongst the players and fans and investors. it gives a BETTER chance , not 100 guarenteed but a BETTER chance of doing well

that is why there are top managers, not becasue they have fancy names, becasue they are successfull above the majority of other managers.

I would have really liked Roberto Martinez, too bad...

If we approched Wigan for RM maybe we have approched Poyet to? Young, upcoming manager. I know he got Brighton promoted but what kind of football does he play? Formation and so on?

It does seem that Villa fans expectations have risen a lot in the last 5 years and thats because of the investment we got. I cant believe the amount of people who would be upset at the thought of giving a Hughes, a Coyle or a Martinez the job concerns me a little.

In the past 20 years we've highered Brian Little, who had very little Premier League experience (can you imagine that appointment now?) to John Gregory who was at Wycombe, the internet would explode if we gave Gary Waddock the job this week. Both did very good jobs.

Many fans have been writing on here we need a manager whos won things or a manager who has champions league experience etc, i think these fans need to get real, because we arent Chelsea, Man Utd and we dont have Man Citehs money.

- This.