• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

If we can't get Ancelotti or Moyes, can we just get Hughes and be done with ?

I know he's not everyones 1st choice but with the exception of Man City, every team he's managed has performed well and above expectation in most cases.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of good mangers out there.....

Hitzfeld, van Gaal, Ranieri, Rijkaard, van Basten to name a few.

Then there is Hughes, Pellegrini, McClaren (god forbid).

We will probably end up with the Gmac Kmac combination lol

So from that statement we can gather we asked to speak to Martinez. Martinez had a meeting with Whelen and decided not to talk to us.

So we didn't offer him the job. Therefore he hasn't turned down the job.

That would be my version of events. but whelan said he had spoke with us.

I wonder RM declined us - as he knew he was an also ran - and our top target is yet to be nailed.

so what a surprise, the press have gone off on one about him being first choice, us offering him the job and its all rubbish. i dont think he was ever a serious choice, He was just one name on a list we wanted to interview to explore all options. he has decided to stick with wigan - fair play to him for not going back in his word.

dave whelan has played it well though, ring up SSN and announce villa requested permission to speak to him 9 days ago, imply he is villas first choice, we have spoken to him and its all about whether martinez will turn down a job offer. the press lap it up as its all they have to go on as they are getting nothing out of villa. then when you announce martinez is staying (knowing full well he would as you met him earlier in the week before you blabbed to ssn) it looks like you have persuaded him not take the villa job and have fought off serious interest from a bigger club.

just shows the press know nothing. expect them to still run with the "turned down the job" story and ignore the villa statement though. they don't like us because they can't get any info out of us and we proved them wrong in january. they spent the first half of last season saying we had no money and then we went and spent 18 mil on bent, which they knew nothing about until it was all but done.

What a joke.. absolute joke.. cover it up all you like..but he rejected the job. We may have not offered, yet he rejected even wanting the chance to offer.. whether we offered it or not is relevant. A 37 year old Wigan Manager.. rejected the Aston Villa job.

Job will now go back to McLaren. What a farce this club has become. He is the only one desperate enough to come.

Meanwhile in other news.. we let our best player go for the third season running. Bye Ash. Ugh......

Heres the melt down.

Well done Aston Villa FC.

Or it shows his loyalty to Wigan - Whelan stood by him all season - the last two seasons - and gave him his chance in the prem. They have a close relationship and it would be a bit of a dick thing to do to abandon ship after all the support he has been given. He has just formed his own team at Wigan and is only 37. It's not unbelievable that him staying at Wigan has nothing to do with Villa at all.

So get off your high horse. Mysteryman on H&V said the meltdown specifically referred to Moyes but that he doesn't know what happened with that. Everton might have just said 'no' you can't talk to him. Whether it's not the most ruthless method or whatever it seems Villa are behaving with respect to other clubs. I don't mind that. I'd rather that than to support some soulless dickhead club. Still be nice to have a manager though.

If the board wanted to show real leadership they would appoint steve mclaren. He has won things and coached in europe.

Then this faffing about would be finished with.

The villa fans boo every manager,it doesn`t matter just get on with it.

Glad Bob is not the man.

This manager hunt saga is fast turning into a farce though. Just get it sorted Randy.

Ditto.

Everyday this rumbles on doesn't reflect well on the name of Aston Villa. Yes, the reports in the press may not be true, but each press report linking us with someone else, and then getting turned down leads to the public perception of Villa in turmoil.

I also hope it gets sorted before Monday, as I'm not getting much work done. :lol:

Club statement: Roberto Martinez

Latest on manager search

10th Jun 2011

The Club would like to thank Wigan Athletic Football Club and its chairman, Dave Whelan, for their professionalism in dealing with our request to speak to Roberto Martinez.

Roberto's qualities as a young and aspirational manager ensured him of a position high on our short list of potential new managers.

Given that he had one year remaining on his contract at Wigan, we made an official approach through the proper channels, though we were aware of a commitment he had made to his Club to agree and sign a new contract following the final game of last season.

Roberto met with his chairman earlier this week and he has made the decision to honour his commitment to Wigan.

Therefore, we have not met Roberto and we have not had the opportunity to discuss the vacant managerial role with him.

We remain focused and are working hard to secure the best candidate for Aston Villa who will complement the Club's commitment to be true to our heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base, and will have the new manager in place to prepare the players for the pre-season programme and next season's campaign.

So basically, Whelan had met with RM and made him an improved contract offer earlier this week, RM ask for a night to sleep on it and so Whelan holds press conferences about Villas proper way of doing things in the full knowledge we hadn't even spoken to RM.

Snide shark

What a joke.. absolute joke.. cover it up all you like..but he rejected the job. We may have not offered, yet he rejected even wanting the chance to offer.. whether we offered it or not is relevant. A 37 year old Wigan Manager.. rejected the Aston Villa job.

Job will now go back to McLaren. What a farce this club has become. He is the only one desperate enough to come.

Meanwhile in other news.. we let our best player go for the third season running. Bye Ash. Ugh......

Heres the melt down.

Well done Aston Villa FC.

Overreacting a touch I think. McLaren is likely going back to The Netherlands anyway. Vitesse I believe.

The only thing this whole episode proves is that the media have been wrong at every turn. They thought Hughes was leaving Fulham to join us straight away, which was wrong. Then they thought McLaren was a shoe in - Lerner didn't want to interview him because of the fans reaction. Now the Martinez issue.

My opinion, the board are doing this carefully, exploring all possible options no matter how high or low of a reputation they hold, and that is the right way to be doing things.

It's all a symptom of a long summer and the journos having not much else to write about.

:lol: let's keep kidding ourselves.

Martinez wasn't even interested in speaking to us, **** me!!

Bet the players are really looking forward to next season, bet downing has got his pen ready to sign a new deal.

We are looking a right shambles in the press.

Someone get Flores on the phone and give him the job. He speaks english and has won trophies, its a no-brainer. Forget this Premiership experience nonesense, Wenger and Mourinho didn't have any and it didn't do them any harm.

Even Guillem agrees.....

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?titulo=Liverpool%20should%20consider%20Quique%20Sanchez%20Flores&id=458

It's good that Villa took the initative on this and announced it officially.

The fact that the guy has shown loyalty to a club is rather refreshing. It's also nice to see that integrity and loyalty were qualities

perhaps Randy & Co are looking for in the next manager of AVFC!

I am disappointed that Martinez has chosen not to pursue our interest in him, but in this day of billy-big time bollocks premiership, it is so nice to see that football still has at least one man of total integrity.

Yeah, you've got to say fair play to him really.

Although it's good to get communication from the club, I'm not sure the official statement was the best idea really.......makes it look like Martinez was the number 1 option.