• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vessel with the pestle has the pellet with the poison, but the chalace from the palace is the brew that is true...itk :wink:

Danny kaye quotes in a manager thread! Quality ;-)

Firstly, I believe that yesterday RL put his private jet at the disposal of GH. It is a while since his operation, and therefore he would likely be cleared to fly. Added to this there is no stress attached to flying on a private jet as opposed to going through the terminal and flying on a scheduled airline. The fact that the jet flew to Corsica and straight back suggests a drop off. In short, I don't think that Mr Lerner was on it.

FWIW I am warming to Martinez. Hughes is still my first choice, but Martinez is second, and he would certainly deliver potentially the best football we have seen since the Atkinson days.

If there is a late managerial merry-go-round of Hughes to Chelsea, Moyes to Villa, and Martinez to Everton, I think that we could be rueing the day and looking jealously at Everton come the end of next season.

Moyes was Preston manager when he took over at Everton. Were they being unambitious?

Firstly, I believe that yesterday RL put his private jet at the disposal of GH. It is a while since his operation, and therefore he would likely be cleared to fly. Added to this there is no stress attached to flying on a private jet as opposed to going through the terminal and flying on a scheduled airline. The fact that the jet flew to Corsica and straight back suggests a drop off. In short, I don't think that Mr Lerner was on it.
That's probably true, but what's to say Randy didn't contact Ancelotti and say "oi Carlo, meet me at Houllier's house" and then they hammered out a deal with Houllier mediating and then Randy smuggled Carlo back to England in a suitcase? :)

Moyes was Preston manager when he took over at Everton. Were they being unambitious?

the difference being martinez has managed in the prem and has not been very good at all. look at his signings. boseli? so bad they loaned him out after 6 months. moses hasnt set the world alight either to name a few

FWIW I am warming to Martinez. Hughes is still my first choice, but Martinez is second, and he would certainly deliver potentially the best football we have seen since the Atkinson days.

If there is a late managerial merry-go-round of Hughes to Chelsea, Moyes to Villa, and Martinez to Everton, I think that we could be rueing the day and looking jealously at Everton come the end of next season.

^^^^^^

The voice of reason. I agree totally I still believe Hughes is the best man for the job and my second realistic choice is RM, Moyes is overated IMO.

I'd prefer Moyes over Martinez, but Martinez over Hughes. Am I wrong in thinking Moyes' teams are more entertaining than Hughes' (at least when they've got strikers fit)

TheTrees, I think it's that patience, Martinez wouldn't come in immediately we hit it off, basically MON has hit us for 6 and the sooner people realise that the better. We made huge losses last year, now Lerner and the team are trying to resolve the free reign he gave MON, yes he made a mistake but he did it for the best interests in our club, sometimes you have to take two step backwards before making the jump. I think its about changing the culture of the club, which is thoroughly needed in my opinion, we can look all day at his stats and see whether he is right or wrong for the club.

That my friend makes sense, believing as I do that Randy is that kind of guy.

the difference being martinez has managed in the prem and has not been very good at all. look at his signings. boseli? so bad they loaned him out after 6 months. moses hasnt set the world alight either to name a few

Every manager is the leaguue has made shocking signings in the past. I assume Martinez has a very tight wage structure at Wigan propbably more compareable to a championship club rather than most premiership ones.

In any job experience is massive – I don’t care how ‘hungry’ or ‘passionate’ a young manager is, nothing can prepare you for life in the premiership better than ‘having been there and done it before’.

Look at the likes of Ferguson, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Wenger, Dalgliesh etc – all been in the management game a long time. There are some special cases like Mourinho and Guardiola, but these guys have learnt from and been in the company of the best for a long time before making their own mark.

This is why for me it is Moyes > Martinez

Same as we did with Ireland? Were hardly in a position to be talking about bad signings... Given the time and the money (which may not be a lot in comparison to what were used to, but more than he could ever dream of at Wigan) I think Martinez could build a very good team.