Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Yes possibly. At least if we do get an infestation from France it's likely top be Surrey thats one of the first hit places. Should cheer @tonyh29up no end :D 

That's why we have Kent and Sussex to protect the borders of Surrey , let the poor people take the bulk of anything the French chuck at us

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's interesting. Tech giants and platforms seem to come and go, rise and fall. Yet Google seems to have this dominant position with no sign of that ever changing. Unless Musk or some similar nutter buys it and tries to start charging for searches it's really difficult to see what someone else can do to challenge it. 

Google (Alphabet) market cap is about $1.7trillion. No nutter is buying it.

• Like 1

W H Smith.

They just seem lost nowadays. I know the airport branches do well, but the high street ones are deserted. What is their market? Went into the Lichfield one earlier, which is quite a big one and the staff outnumbered the shoppers. They've massively reduced their book selection as well. I just don't know who they appeal to anymore?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

W H Smith.

They just seem lost nowadays. I know the airport branches do well, but the high street ones are deserted. What is their market? Went into the Lichfield one earlier, which is quite a big one and the staff outnumbered the shoppers. They've massively reduced their book selection as well. I just don't know who they appeal to anymore?

Amazes me they're still going. 

I understand they have very little debt in the business or something so they can make money off lower margins than many other leveraged to the hilt retailers. 

Plus being able to sell a few million small bottles of water for £2 a pop can't hurt. 

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

W H Smith.

It’s my go to shop when I fancy a luke warm Pepsi for £2.29

Every day they’re still open amazes me.

A good number of Smiths seem to have their primary function as being a post office these days.

It used to be a place where my lunch hour would be partly wasted. HMV + the one other music store (Virgin, Our Price, MVC) and as a bit of a filler, a quick browse in W H smiths of the two or three mags I would consider buying.

Can’t remember the last time I bought something from there. Maybe 10, 15 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

a quick browse in W H smiths of the two or three mags I would consider buying.

Mayfair, Penthouse and Playboy? 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

This could be posted in the news thread as well, but how on earth can a city (Paris in this case) be infested with bed bugs according to reports and videos I’ve seen. 

They are horrible little things and I do wonder how you get rid of so many in a city, they are also coming/are already in the UK. 

I believe bed bugs were almost extinct at one stage, then they made a comeback when cheap air travel really kicked in during the 2000s.  It doesn't surprise me that major cities could have a problem with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

W H Smith.

A few months back I nipped into the Southport one for a packet of ciggies. Bloke behind the till did something really odd,”hang on I'll just check the price for you first”, pause from him, slight bewilderment from me…. “£18….”. Nah you can keep them mate, you realise Bargain Booze is 100 yards away. “Yeah, sorry, we're just really expensive”

• Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2023 at 19:50, bickster said:

A few months back I nipped into the Southport one for a packet of ciggies. Bloke behind the till did something really odd,”hang on I'll just check the price for you first”, pause from him, slight bewilderment from me…. “£18….”. Nah you can keep them mate, you realise Bargain Booze is 100 yards away. “Yeah, sorry, we're just really expensive”

£18 for a packet of fags :o

On 03/10/2023 at 18:40, Xela said:

W H Smith.

I mooch around in Guildford most Sat mornings whilst the daughter does her drama class , the one there has a good selection of birthday cards etc  , far better than Clintons 

other than that I don't tend to buy much / anything  from them 

At the airport the other week and they were charging £3.85 for a packet of wine gums in Smiths (jog on)  , its  probably a similar price if you stop on a motorway service station  .. I guess these extortionate  outlets are subsidising the loss making on the Hight street 

• Like 1

I used to think if intelligence is split into three categories, low, averge, and high, then I would be in average but towards the bottom of that. But I just decided to keep it real, and declare myself low intelligence.

Â