Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I will agree on one thing though - Camp coffee was bloody awful.

As a drink, totally agree. As a flavouring ingredient in cakes and desserts, it's OK. 

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As a drink, totally agree. As a flavouring ingredient in cakes and desserts, it's OK. 

I've never tried it in cakes or desserts, but for my generation, it competes with brown sauce and sterilised milk, as a reliable socio-economic indicator. 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Do you pronounce @Seat68's name as Seat68 or Seat68?

(The car or the chair?)

And were there really 67 other Seats? How many seats does a sane man try for before trying a different name? 

I'm also a Seat car pronunciation man. In fact chair seat never even crossed my mind until I read your post for some reason. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

And were there really 67 other Seats? How many seats does a sane man try for before trying a different name? 

I'm also a Seat car pronunciation man. In fact chair seat never even crossed my mind until I read your post for some reason. 

He says to a man who tried 985 times for Stevo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This could be posted in the news thread as well, but how on earth can a city (Paris in this case) be infested with bed bugs according to reports and videos I’ve seen. 

They are horrible little things and I do wonder how you get rid of so many in a city, they are also coming/are already in the UK. 

Edited by Rustibrooks

47 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

This could be posted in the news thread as well, but how on earth can a city (Paris in this case) be invested with bed bugs according to reports and videos I’ve seen. 

They are horrible little things and I do wonder how you get rid of so many in a city, they are also coming/are already in the UK. 

Unless you have a newish mattress, you already have bedbugs

How much are Microsoft spunking up a wall to take on Google with Bing and Edge over other Browsers

Use Bing search on Edge, 5 days running... Amazon voucher. Points on every Bing search daily for more vouchers. They even have polls and quizzes that give you more points again. It must be costing them an absolute fortune

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

You mean, like Uber! 🙂

No, completely unlike Uber. Uber's model is to undercut the opposition and rely on their workers to take the financial hit or give freebies away from within their platform that has no intrinsic cost to themselves. Microsoft is giving away gift vouchers for other companies. They will have a cost. A huge cost

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Unless you have a newish mattress, you already have bedbugs

Are you sure you don't mean dustmites, which are small enough to crawl through the weft of a bed sheet?

Bed bugs are much bigger.

Whoops - what a typo!

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Are you sure you don't mean dustmites, which are small enough to crawl through the weft of a bed sheet?

Bed bugs are much bigger.

Whoops - what a typo!

Yes possibly. At least if we do get an infestation from France it's likely top be Surrey thats one of the first hit places. Should cheer @tonyh29up no end :D 

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

How much are Microsoft spunking up a wall to take on Google with Bing and Edge over other Browsers

Use Bing search on Edge, 5 days running... Amazon voucher. Points on every Bing search daily for more vouchers. They even have polls and quizzes that give you more points again. It must be costing them an absolute fortune

I guess it's pretty profitable for them. Google makes a ton of money mostly from search, so microsoft probably will too.

I do the polls and quizzes every day (if I remember) simply to raise money for charity, but it doesn't really add up to much - I started doing it in lockdown, so 3 years or so...

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 13.13.16.jpg

Ecosia is another one - it basically uses Google's algorithm, but donates all the money raised to planting trees, so I try to use that one, too.

Microsoft is becoming annoying though with constant pop up thingies to "install edge" or to "use Bing AI" - no, just eff off. Grrr.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

It's interesting. Tech giants and platforms seem to come and go, rise and fall. Yet Google seems to have this dominant position with no sign of that ever changing. Unless Musk or some similar nutter buys it and tries to start charging for searches it's really difficult to see what someone else can do to challenge it. 

I'm sure bing does a decent enough job but I've never once tried to use it or felt the need to try. 

I've used ecosia a few times, mainly to find new Kenneth's rather than for it's green credentials, it seemed to work well enough. 

But until Google stops working satisfactorily I just can't be arsed to get used go using something else. 

Edited by sidcow

Â