Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 23/10/2023 at 20:22, chrisp65 said:

My first outing in ladies clothes a few years ago I caught my heel in the escalator and fell quite badly.

When I got to the bottom two blokes mugged me and took my handbag.

A bloke on the up escalator just stood still, coldly watching it all, slowly serenely ascending to John Lewis. 

Haunts me to this day.

You are Grayson Perry and I claim the £5!

• Like 1

On 20/10/2023 at 18:35, bickster said:

I think he realised, which is why he did the whole price check thing because people must go How Much????? All the time

When I worked in a hotel restaurant we got a new beer on tap (I can't remember what it was, some sort of blonde german beer). And the rest of the selection wasn't great (we still served Mild ffs)

This was a nice new tap and definitely the most atractive option of the beers on offer, but it was something like £6.50 for a pint. And this was at least 15 years ago. Everything else was like £3-4

Long story short, I did what the shop keeper in your story did all the time. Just told people the price before I poured it because it saved the hassle of handing them their pint and then telling them to hand over £6.50

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

And the rest of the selection wasn't great (we still served Mild ffs)

And what is wrong with THAT? 

Sounds like the good old days to me. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

In the 'on my way to St Ives'riddle. 

Why were the cats in the sacks?

I don’t know the answer, but my guess would be that it’s related to that trick of supposedly buying a pig at the market but the conman is selling you a cat (which was cheaper).

”buying a pig in a poke”, “let the cat out of the bag”.

I guess transporting cats around in bags were a more common occurrence back then.

33 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t know the answer, but my guess would be that it’s related to that trick of supposedly buying a pig at the market but the conman is selling you a cat (which was cheaper).

”buying a pig in a poke”, “let the cat out of the bag”.

I guess transporting cats around in bags were a more common occurrence back then.

Not sure if that's better or worse then where my head went to. 

Which was cats in bags and rivers. Which is horrific.

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Not sure if that's better or worse then where my head went to. 

Which was cats in bags and rivers. Which is horrific.

Yeah, Richard Ashcroft and Seamus Heaney were insistent on telling me about the aquatic abilities of cats when I was about 14 or 15.

Why do we use numbers to represent speed limits of 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50. But then switch to a single symbol, which might mean either 60 or 70?

Why not have random symbols for all of them, or go completely crazy and use a 7 and a 0 to represent 70?

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Why do we use numbers to represent speed limits of 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50. But then switch to a single symbol, which might mean either 60 or 70?

Why not have random symbols for all of them, or go completely crazy and use a 7 and a 0 to represent 70?

It's just 20 for you sonny Jim. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Because you can change the national speed limit for a particular type of road and not change the signage.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

Because you can change the national speed limit for a particular type of road and not change the signage.

And how would you know its changed?

Why wouldn’t you have that for areas that vary between 30 and 40?

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess it's so you don't have to litter the countryside with speed limit signs as roads change from dual to single carriageways? Think of all the tens of thousands of extra signs that would need to be installed. 

I often see speed limit signs, denoting different speeds, maybe 50 yards apart.

So I’ll be driving through in a 30 area, I see a sign for 40, then within less than ten seconds of driving at that speed (and I mean literally ten seconds) there’s another sign that says I’m now in a 50 zone.

Must be a reason - housing, general traffic control, I don’t know, but I often think it’s a bit unnecessary.

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

If the road has street lights and no speed signs the speed limit is 30mph (or 20 mph in Wales)

If the road has no speed limit roundels  and no street lights it is the national speed limit for that type of road. Neither of these situations require repeaters

I'm assuming you only know the lower speed limit has changed in Wales because you are an avid watcher of GB news and their whinging about it. :D 

This is the riveting stuff you learn on a speed awareness course when South Wales Constabulary stick a speed camera in the picnic area just downslope from the brow of a hill on the road from Celtic Manor to Monmouth :crylaugh: 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I often see speed limit signs, denoting different speeds, maybe 50 yards apart.

So I’ll be driving through in a 30 area, I see a sign for 40, then within less than ten seconds of driving at that speed (and I mean literally ten seconds) there’s another sign that says I’m now in a 50 zone.

Must be a reason - housing, general traffic control, I don’t know, but I often think it’s a bit unnecessary.

This sounds very, very similar to the 30 or so miles of smart cameras I drove through on the M62 today. Constantly jumping up and down between 40, 50 and 60.

Â