Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 03/10/2023 at 18:40, Xela said:

W H Smith.

They just seem lost nowadays. I know the airport branches do well, but the high street ones are deserted. 

On 18/10/2023 at 09:37, tonyh29 said:

At the airport the other week and they were charging £3.85 for a packet of wine gums in Smiths (jog on)  , its  probably a similar price if you stop on a motorway service station  .. I guess these extortionate  outlets are subsidising the loss making on the Hight street 

I used to love a visit to W H Smith and still pop into them now and again if I've a bit of time to burn (High street stores).

But will avoid their pokey little places at motorways and train stations like the plague where they just take the absolute piss on their pricing.  How the train station outlets also remain open bemuses me as I never see anyone in them either whenever i'm at any train station.

I would safely bet that they are probably haemorrhaging away more money on rent on the train stations than they are making it.

As you both mention, how they still remain open for business is quite fascinating.

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I used to love a visit to W H Smith and still pop into them now and again if I've a bit of time to burn (High street stores).

But will avoid their pokey little places at motorways and train stations like the plague where they just take the absolute piss on their pricing.  How the train station outlets also remain open bemuses me as I never see anyone in them either whenever i'm at any train station.

I would safely bet that they are probably haemorrhaging away more money on rent on the train stations than they are making it.

As you both mention, how they still remain open for business is quite fascinating.

Of more importance why does @AvfcRigo82keep bumping the fanboi thread unnecessarily 😂

• Haha 1

On 03/10/2023 at 19:50, bickster said:

A few months back I nipped into the Southport one for a packet of ciggies. Bloke behind the till did something really odd,”hang on I'll just check the price for you first”, pause from him, slight bewilderment from me…. “£18….”.

On 18/10/2023 at 09:33, tonyh29 said:

£18 for a packet of fags :o

I meant to comment on this the other day and forgot..

Did the guy behind the counter not realise that you wanted cigarettes that contained tobacco and not gold!?

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

I meant to comment on this the other day and forgot..

Did the guy behind the counter not realise that you wanted cigarettes that contained tobacco and not gold!?

I think he realised, which is why he did the whole price check thing because people must go How Much????? All the time

• Like 1

When walking along a street, what's that tree called, how long as it been there, what are those flowers called, what bird is making those noises, when were these houses built, what type of architecture is that building, how old is the street, and I don't get the answers to this stuff, but can still enjoy the walk. I remember hearing a quote from John Cage and he likened reading FInnegans Wake to walking down a street, as there were a lot of things going on that he didn't understand but he was still enjoying it, it stuck in my mind because I had a very similar thought, but about Ulysses, you're going along, don't understand everything, but take something from it. Finnegans Wake is too difficult for me, but I like the idea of it, a night time version of Ulysses, maybe one day I will just read it to say I've read the words, I open it up on random pages and see sentences I like, but putting it all together is a different story.

27 minutes ago, useless said:

I had a very similar thought, but about Ulysses, you're going along, don't understand everything, but take something from it. Finnegans Wake is too difficult for me, but I like the idea of it, a night time version of Ulysses, maybe one day I will just read it to say I've read the words, I open it up on random pages and see sentences I like, but putting it all together is a different story.

One for the books thread, really, but yeah, same here. I enjoyed Ulysses, I just let the madness of it wash over me. But I've stayed well clear of Finnegan, it just looks like pure word salad. One of my work colleagues used to use it to generate passwords. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Ok I’m curling one out in the VIP under seat 11 row 13, stand up wipe.

I take it the stadium isn't sold out!.   Or are you already a dozen cans into your weekend beer consumption and don't (figuratively only) give a sh*t?

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I take it the stadium isn't sold out!.   Or are you already a dozen cans into your weekend beer consumption and don't (figuratively only) give a sh*t?

Yes it’s a beer festival, for some reason the part that opened up was the comfy seats, **** those guys, never felt what it’s like to rub 2-ply from front to back.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

weirdo

Or we we the weirdos? 49.% of people voted for this. So?

oh hang on…no don’t worry, despite the poll I’m hearing anyone who stands to wipe their arse is **** deranged. Case closed. Good. Phew.

• Haha 1

This was a few years ago but I was walking up an escalator and then on the othe escalator going down I saw a women fall a slide down the steps really fast, I thought shit is she okay, and I thought I have to go and check but if she's injured I don't know what to do, and then I saw some mall attendants were already aiding her, and I was pleased I didn't have to go and check, as I was nervous for some reason. When I got home I did a test to see if I was a psychopath or something, I scored very low.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

This was a few years ago but I was walking up an escalator and then on the othe escalator going down I saw a women fall a slide down the steps really fast, I thought shit is she okay, and I thought I have to go and check but if she's injured I don't know what to do, and then I saw some mall attendants were already aiding her, and I was pleased I didn't have to go and check, as I was nervous for some reason. When I got home I did a test to see if I was a psychopath or something, I scored very low.

Similar thing to me last year on my way to a match. A bloke was knocked off his bike on a slow moving dual carriageway a couple of cars in front of me.  Didn't really see it actually happen so couldn't claim to be a witness, but was thinking I probably ought to go see if I could help

Literally as I was thinking this a women zoomed past on the inside, pulled over in front of the accident and got out of the car in a very efficient looking manner. I would bet she was medical. 

Anyway with her and the couple of cars in front of me I was relieved to think I didn't really need to stop and get involved. Probably missing the match as well (not in my thinking at all, honestly). 

Didn't do any tests as my coldness didn't bother me in the slightest so I'm definitely a psychopath. 

Edited by sidcow

On 23/10/2023 at 19:58, useless said:

before the days of designated first aiders in the workplace an old guy keeled off his barstool backwards and started having a fit on the floor. I rushed out from the bar but nipper me didn't have any idea what to do and luckily for the guy one of the regulars nudged me to one side, checked the tongue and the airway and put him in the recovery position.

I signed up for a first aid course the next day.

Â