Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I saw a documentary about people who had had this done. 

One woman had a gastric band (not quite the same but same principle) and she had discovered she could “fool” it by having high calorie drinks which would give her lots of calories but wouldn’t fill her up. 

At no point did she mention WHY she would want to do that. But she had successfully remained fat. 

It was baffling

Guy my wife works with had one fitted and after a while just started blending all his food into smoothies so he could still eat them. He'd 'drink' cheeseburgers, pizzas, chips and whatever. Bizzarely he wasn't quite big enough to have the band fitted as the Dr said his BMI was slightly to low, so of course he went on a doughnut diet for a few weeks to qualify. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Guy my wife works with had one fitted and after a while just started blending all his food into smoothies so he could still eat them. He'd 'drink' cheeseburgers, pizzas, chips and whatever. Bizzarely he wasn't quite big enough to have the band fitted as the Dr said his BMI was slightly to low, so of course he went on a doughnut diet for a few weeks to qualify. 

Contrariwise, I worked with a woman who had a gastric bypass, and they said she was too overweight for the surgery and would have to lose some before they'd do it. So she went on a diet and lost the required weight. Which raises the obvious question - why not just keep on the diet? 

Think all of this stuff can be explained as a mental health / addiction problem. People have good intentions 90% of the time, but spend the remaining 10% of the time destroying themselves and undermining their best intentions - in ways that completely reverse all the good work they've done.

I'd imagine you don't actually have to spend all that much time getting fat if you're really, really good at it. Probably just demolish a few thousand calories before bed, job done. Wake up hating yourself, have a healthy-ish day, then do it all again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Contrariwise, I worked with a woman who had a gastric bypass, and they said she was too overweight for the surgery and would have to lose some before they'd do it. So she went on a diet and lost the required weight. Which raises the obvious question - why not just keep on the diet? 

Because it's unsustainable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Living his best life. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mottaloo said:

One for our medical experts..... I wonder how someone can still be obese despite having 75% of their stomach removed ? Surely smaller stomach means less capacity to store food and lead to a smaller appetite ?

I'm probably missing something obvious here but....someone I knew ripped off their other half over £12k to have the op done & then 12 months later dumped him, leaving him to pay the rest off. She is a total word removed and I am glad she is still an effing whale but it baffles me as to how weight gain is still possible 

Could still put away a **** tonne of calories in booze, I reckon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I'd imagine you don't actually have to spend all that much time getting fat if you're really, really good at it. Probably just demolish a few thousand calories before bed, job done. Wake up hating yourself, have a healthy-ish day, then do it all again.

tenor.gif

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

They say you've not lived till you've drunk a liquidated cheeseburger. It's right up there with Tequila with worms in. 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

They say you've not lived till you've drunk a liquidated cheeseburger. It's right up there with Tequila with worms in. 

Tequila doesn't have worms in  (or more accurately, larvae).They are only found in certain types of Mezcal, and Tequila isn't one of those types

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Tequila doesn't have worms in  (or more accurately, larvae).They are only found in certain types of Mezcal, and Tequila isn't one of those types

Tequila doesn't have worms in it

It's found in Mezcal 

Tequila isn't Mezcal

tenor.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Tequila doesn't have worms in it

It's found in Mezcal 

Tequila isn't Mezcal

tenor.gif

Wrong, Tequila is a specific type of Mezcal that has to have over 51% extracted from the blue agave plant. Tequila’s quality is judged by its proportion extracted from the blue agave plant the higher the proportion the higher the quality.

Mezcal is a spirit made from the agave plant but there are many varieties of agave and therefore many varieties of Mezcal

Think of Mezcal as Whisky and Tequila as a 12 year old Islay Malt

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

Wrong, Tequila is a specific type of Mezcal that has to have over 51% extracted from the blue agave plant. Tequila’s quality is judged by its proportion extracted from the blue agave plant the higher the proportion the higher the quality.

Mezcal is a spirit made from the agave plant but there are many varieties of agave and therefore many varieties of Mezcal

Think of Mezcal as Whisky and Tequila as a 12 year old Islay Malt

Hmmmm.  I don't think you're reading the room. 

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

FTFY 

Have you drank any good tequilas? It's one of those drinks I think suffers from usually only being drank in cheap shots when you're already the wrong side of bladdered

The thought of it made me feel sick due to years of association with very poor judgement on student nights out, but there's a tequila and mezcal bar near me, and I was persuaded to try a few. I wouldn't reach for a bottle often, but there's a lot more to it than salt on your hand and a wedge of lemon 

• Like 2

The Angel Pub in Aberystwyth used to sell tiny bottles of mezcal. I'd had a few over my times in there, but the last time, we had ended up in there after a lot of drinks had been had already and I was bought one of these tiny bottles when I really was so far gone I shouldn't be touching any more hard booze. But I was completely **** so of course I gladly whacked it back.

What followed was the most bizarre moment of clarity I can recall of my drunken experiences. I threw my head back and gladly sunk the whole bottle. I felt the mezcal go down my throat, in almost slow motion, all the way down my gullet. And as it touched my stomach, seemingly minutes later but in reality about a second, my stomach firmly said 'No' and my brain sobered very quickly, realising that standing by the bar right now is a bad idea, and instructed my body to sprint outside now

I managed to get out of the pub and across the street in about 3 seconds, braced myself against a wall and threw up so much I'd swear you could see childhood meals in it, behind a local information map.

And that was the last time I drank mezcal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â