Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

r would I be constantly thinking “What the hell is everyone saying?

just make sure you quantum leap into the South rather than the North and you'll be fine :) 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

keeping the knowledge base that you have now? 

so in theory you could go back to 1966 and lump your life savings on a 4-2?

i do with music - take up a residency in the Brill Building and see where that life takes you...i was thinking about that this morning, often do on the train, could you take songs back and then get them to work, could you "write" like a virgin in 1964 and see where it went, watched the wu tang clan show whatever its called and they do like an open mic night in the early 90s and let my imagination run wild and think like what if you turned up and dropped some 2pac or biggie lyrics or kanye stuff, could you give a kings of leon song to CCR?

basically id be the greatest record producer and writer ever known to man, dont need to go any further back than that 

the whole music thing would be interesting   ....  could you say turn up in 1960 and convince the world that " Strawberry fields" is a hit  ..

or , do you have to "invent" love me do , She Loves you , help etc in order to allow Strawberry fields to be come a hit  .

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

What I’m wondering is how much 2021 me would stand out in the 1860’s

I'd imagine you'd be well educated for that era and might stand out in that regard and i guess it would depend on what circles you are moving in  ,  but it might be more the social graces and stuff that you'd struggle with  ...

(I mean a generic "you"  here , I'm not suggesting you'd struggle to use a knife and fork :)  )

Unless you are picking up hookers in Shoreditch , I imagine even something like taking a woman out requires a certain protocol , rather than buying her a pint of gin and copping a grope in the back of a hansom cab

Edited by tonyh29

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

the whole music thing would be interesting   ....  could you say turn up in 1960 and convince the world that " Strawberry fields" is a hit  ..

or , do you have to "invent" love me do , She Loves you , help etc in order to allow Strawberry fields to be come a hit  .

That is pretty much the exact plot of the "Yesterday" movie. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd imagine you'd be well educated for that era and might stand out in that regard and i guess it would depend on what circles you are moving in  ,  but it might be more the social graces and stuff that you'd struggle with  ...

(I mean a generic "you"  here , I'm not suggesting you'd struggle to use a knife and fork :)  )

Unless you are picking up hookers in Shoreditch , I imagine even something like taking a woman out requires a certain protocol , rather than buying her a pint of gin and copping a grope in the back of a hansom cab

As you say, what social circles I moved in would dictate how well I would blend in. 

And while I think I’d be better educated than most of the population, I wonder how much of a benefit that late 20th century, early 21st century education and knowledge would actually prove to be. 

40 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

As you say, what social circles I moved in would dictate how well I would blend in. 

And while I think I’d be better educated than most of the population, I wonder how much of a benefit that late 20th century, early 21st century education and knowledge would actually prove to be. 

Yeah the education and knowledge is interesting. We’d have information about countries of the world and the names of planets and world politics.

But potentially we’d struggle to identify a turnip, open an oyster, and get a fire going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah the education and knowledge is interesting. We’d have information about countries of the world and the names of planets and world politics.

But potentially we’d struggle to identify a turnip, open an oyster, and get a fire going.

You might be overestimating some of our capabilities. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I feel like a similar wondering has been posted before, but in case it hasn’t…

I often wonder how far back in history I could go, with my 21st century knowledge (such as it is), my modern day speech patterns, etc and blend in and ultimately survive. For a bit, anyway.

I’d have the appropriate attire, I’d have a small amount money to get by initially (think Doc Brown and his ready supply of various denominations from different eras). 

And I often wonder if I could succeed in the 1700’s or something. I could say “What about electricity? Let’s invent that, make a fortune.” But then I’d be stumped as to what to do next.

Burn the witch!!!!! 

• Haha 1

We have done this before and I'd be seriously worried what I could bring to the past party. 

I could bring concepts with me but would have zero idea how to actually build a steam engine or make electricity. 

I'd need to meet someone who is actually clever and give them rough outlines about stuff to invent.  I wouldn't even have a scooby how to make a phone or a radio. 

I think I could integrate nicely into the last 100-120 years or so.

Going back to Tudor times though? I'd be executed in the week as some sort of warlock/wizard

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think I could integrate nicely into the last 100-120 years or so.

Going back to Tudor times though? I'd be executed in the week as some sort of warlock/wizard

I’ve watched blackadder 2 dozens of time . I reckon I could blag fitting into  the Elizabeth reign of the Tudors 

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I’ve watched blackadder 2 dozens of time . I reckon I could blag fitting into  the Elizabeth reign of the Tudors 

You can't immediately go into high society. You would need to start out as a buck-toothed simpleton peasant like the rest of us! 

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

You would need a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it. 

• Haha 1

I've just thought of a good one. 

I can't draw for shit. I'd go back to the 1920's and start drawing pictures of matchstick **** men and make a fortune from painting like a flippin child. 

Edited by sidcow

17 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Still think the film would have been better had he woken up and discovered that nobody had heard of the Beatles ...  and he was then hunted down by A Welsh Liverpudlian T-800 robot whose mission  it was is to kill him before he could "write" the songs 

This is a seriously good idea for a low budget spin-off idea :)

21 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I feel like a similar wondering has been posted before, but in case it hasn’t…

I often wonder how far back in history I could go, with my 21st century knowledge (such as it is), my modern day speech patterns, etc and blend in and ultimately survive. For a bit, anyway.

I’d have the appropriate attire, I’d have a small amount money to get by initially (think Doc Brown and his ready supply of various denominations from different eras). 

And I often wonder if I could succeed in the 1700’s or something. I could say “What about electricity? Let’s invent that, make a fortune.” But then I’d be stumped as to what to do next.

I often wonder the same, but I also wonder the opposite.

How far back could you go where bringing someone into the present day wouldn't completely blow their mind. And I think this would happen for the smallest little things that we completely take for granted.

I'm sure if you took someone from the 70s and brought them to 2021 they just wouldn't be able to comprehend the advances that have been made.

I also think that maybe you'd get to a point where you went so far back it got better again. Like HUGE jumps in technology would be more bearable because you just wouldn't be able to even begin to comprehend what had happened, where as shorter jumps would be more mind blowing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm sure if you took someone from the 70s and brought them to 2021 they just wouldn't be able to comprehend the advances that have been made.

Nah. Speaking as someone who was alive in the 70s (I assume you mean the 1970s!), we soaked up science fiction predictions. The 70s person might even be somewhat disappointed to see how little had changed. No space travel? No matter transference booths? No flying cars (in mass use)? 

OK, the internet and mobile phones. Impressive, but hardly mindblowing stuff. 

• Like 1

Â