Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

How does bonfire night get off Scott free in the global warming issue.  

How many tons of totally unnecessary tons of co2 is going to be released into the atmosphere in the next few days? 

I've not seen any stories or reports questioning it's validity as we're trying to save the planet. 

Chill out Greta, its Friday! 

I think all the massive bonfires are long gone now anyway. Pype Hayes used to be a huge event. Haven't done it for years. 

7 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

When I hear or read about Catholic persecution my brain automatically does a kinda word association where I go from “Catholic” to “Pope” to “Popish Plot”. 

I then in turn, without fail, spend the next couple of seconds thinking “Now that was Titus Oates and not Titus Bramble…yeah, I’m 95% certain that’s right…”

What I wonder is how many other people momentarily have to differentiate between a reviled 17th century priest and the former Wigan Athletic centre half.

I was just about to post the same. Damn! 

I often mistake Oliver Cromwell and Gary Caldwell ;) 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

If I had to choose between TV, Movies, Music, Paintings, or Books, which would I choose. Probably books.

Yikes.  Unlimited books could keep you entertained and stimulated forever.  I would agree, I could live without TV, Movies and certainly paintings but I don't want to even imagine a world without music. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yikes.  Unlimited books could keep you entertained and stimulated forever.  I would agree, I could live without TV, Movies and certainly paintings but I don't want to even imagine a world without music. 

We've seen your taste. You manage without music pretty well. 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

I could easily live without music, the sounds of nature could be my music, or the sounds of any kind of environment, or I could just imagine some music in my mind. That said music would probably still come second in my order of preference.

Books

Music

Movies

Paintings

TV

I was going to add architechure as an option but if we didn't have that we wouldn't have any shelter.

15 minutes ago, useless said:

I've always loved listening to nature ever since I was a child, especially birds singing and the wind in the trees (now I think of it those are the only two things I can think of).

Rain is better than both of those!

I forgot about rain, I like howling winds too, I remember it coming down the chimney, the chimey somehow working like a musical instrument to modulate the sound of the wind so it howled louder than usual. Edit: Enough of this jazz, the original point is that I'd choose books over music as I could easily do without music.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

How do plants get on in a country that has snow?

Over here in the really hot months ( spring and summer ) we just water the garden every day/night ( using retic ) and and the plants groe allright.

Over there the plants ( daiseys/Pansies etc ) get completely covered with snow,for I dont know how long.What happens to the plants ? 

Just now, PussEKatt said:

Over here in the really hot months ( spring and summer ) we just water the garden every day/night ( using retic ) and and the plants groe allright.

Over there the plants ( daiseys/Pansies etc ) get completely covered with snow,for I dont know how long.What happens to the plants ? 

Hardier plants. Plants mostly adapt to the environment they are in. So in Scandinavian countries they may choose lily of the valley, clover or Pansies. These are very hardy and can withstand cold weather. I am no expert but even in the UK when choosing plants we look to see what plants can thrive in the varying areas of the house and garden. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Hardier plants. Plants mostly adapt to the environment they are in. So in Scandinavian countries they may choose lily of the valley, clover or Pansies. These are very hardy and can withstand cold weather. I am no expert but even in the UK when choosing plants we look to see what plants can thrive in the varying areas of the house and garden. 

In that case,we are better off here ( as far as gardens go ) because we can grow plants that are not fussed on the sun in shade,as long as we water them often.As for plants that can handle the sun,answer is same as above,water often.Thanks for answering my question though.I have often wondered what happens when plants get burried by snow for whatever long.

14 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Snow is good. They do better in a year where they get an insulating blanket of snow than one when it doesn't snow, but there are bitter winds and hard frosts that freeze the subsoil. 

Edited by mjmooney

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Snow is good. They do better in a year where they get an insulating blanket of snow than one when it doesn't snow, but there are bitter winds and hard frosts that freeze the subsoil. 

Dosent the frozen hard soil harm the plants at all ?

Sounds like a silly question but I have only seen snow in a christmas card and from a distance when I was in Nepal.

Â