Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

school holidays mate, most of them will have a maintenance deal with a local one

Possibly but I've been trying to find one since May.  :bang:

11 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Weirdly I can pinpoint pretty much all regional accents in england, aside from Birmingham/Black country/Wolves etc. They do all sound the same to me.

I guess being from the Brum area I can tell someone is from the black country within a couple of words. 

I've never really understood how two places relatively close together can have such different accents, for example Scouse and Mancunian when there's only 35 miles between them, and yet a place like Australia that's the size of a continent everyone has very similar accents.  

Did anyone at my school (or any school in the UK) ever actually have to climb the rope in P.E., or were the ropes there just for show.

I remember dreading the day that we'd have to attempt the climb but it never happened. 

16 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Did anyone at my school (or any school in the UK) ever actually have to climb the rope in P.E., or were the ropes there just for show.

I remember dreading the day that we'd have to attempt the climb but it never happened. 

We had to do it. 

• Like 1

Yep, we did as well. I couldn't do it! 

We also had wall bars which we had to climb to the top and touch the ceiling!

Surely that can't still happen! I don't recall anyone ever falling though. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yep, we did as well. I couldn't do it! 

We also had wall bars which we had to climb to the top and touch the ceiling!

Surely that can't still happen! I don't recall anyone ever falling though. 

Yep, we had wall bars which I definitely remember being used. I still remember hearing a (no doubt apocryphal) tale of the kid who had an earring and fell off the bars near a hook and, well, you can guess the rest.

34 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've never really understood how two places relatively close together can have such different accents, for example Scouse and Mancunian when there's only 35 miles between them, and yet a place like Australia that's the size of a continent everyone has very similar accents.  

It's only relatively recently that 35 miles wasn't an enormous distance for most people. British accents basically developed fairly isolated from each other and developed based on the various influences they encountered directly. So Scouse has elements of Irish and Welsh (due to the port and proximity) that Mancunian doesn't or to a far lesser degree.

Of course the influence of easier travel, more migration, national and global television and other media means the accents will change and eventually will die out and homogenise.

With Australia a big part of the issue is the youth of the nation and the nature of its population and the influences on it. Australia is massive but it's very sparsely populated with most of the population in the West coast in a series of fairly urban centres (and only 1 on the East coast) that share very similar influences. It hasn't had the chance of the reasons to diversify much, although I think there are subtle Australian regional accents still.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I'd thought that maybe it used to be a requirement to do so. 

Found it difficult or easy?

Honestly can't remember - it was fifty years ago! Probably difficult - I was pretty puny, and shit at all sport. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

By the time I left after a couple of years of a level pe and before the drinking kicked in properly I could do it, tried it down the gym recently and didn't have a chance, from watching the guys who can still do it it's all about using your feet to create a base on the rope rather than arm strength

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

By the time I left after a couple of years of a level pe and before the drinking kicked in properly I could do it, tried it down the gym recently and didn't have a chance, from watching the guys who can still do it it's all about using your feet to create a base on the rope rather than arm strength

It's all back and legs really. We used to have to do them back when I was in the army. If you can do 10 pull ups or chin ups in a row you'll be able to get to the top using your arms alone.

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

The world is pretty big innit?  Not in the grand scheme of things, but it's the biggest thing to us, as a race.  It's the only thing really..

So with the invention of the internet, with just how much information is available to us, from most corners of the globe - is it just me, or does there genuinely seem like there's more "hate" (hate that word to be used this way) in the world?  

Does the anonymity of the internet give people license to say things they wouldn't say face to face?  

It's the biggest soap box ever isn't it?  I can tweet something and some bloke in Indonesia could see that and form an opinion or use that information for anything.  It seems to me like 2 large groups of people are forming online - "left" and "right".  It also seems like nobody is willing to accept statements or news and that fighting for their own cause seems more important than perhaps solving an issue.  

The thing that confuses me is, in the "real" world, people don't seem as "charged up" as they do about giving their opinions or arguing about stuff - is this something we'll see more of in the future as young generations who grow up with this platform become more emboldened?  Or will they receive proper education on how to use it and become online citizens?  

With all the stuff about what's going on in the US at the moment, and individual tweets being liked over a million times, retweeted a million times etc - I think it's slightly scary. 

It's easy to organise things now.  So will 3,000 far right/ 3,000 far left become 50,000 as things move on?  

Are humans becoming more hateful?  I've got a 2 year old that doesn't hate anyone or anything - because he doesn't know what that means.  When did "hate" become a thing?  I can't really remember "hating" anything, but it seem more apparent as I get older that some people really hate anything you could imagine.   

Very good post, I'd been thinking of posting pretty much the same thing. 

Pre-internet, all the same people were out there, but we rarely, if ever, had the opportunity or inclination to interact with those who had diametrically opposite views to ourselves. We'd see them on TV occasionally, or read about them in the papers, but they were almost like characters in fiction. 

Suddenly, the 'other' is right there on our Facebook or Twitter feed, and we can not only take offence at their apparently offensive opinions, but we can have a go right back at them - without any danger of a smack in the teeth. 

I'm as guilty of it as anyone - I've been shocked at the number of racist bigots I've encountered (both British and American), and I haven't always been able to resist being sucked into pointless and unwinnable arguments with them. 

Things do seem to be getting more polarised. It's quite dispiriting at times. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

The simple solution is to give up social media.  I wish more people would.

Not for me. Despite the above, the benefits still outweigh the downside. 

• Like 1

Â