Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

39 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I read somewhere that 70% of Americans use a prescription medication and 50% are on more than one. 

The over the counter stuff you can get there is amazing. 

If you've ever watched American TV you'll know the amount of drug ads they run in amongst their support the army ads.  Scary stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

If you've ever watched American TV you'll know the amount of drug ads they run in amongst their support the army ads.  Scary stuff.

Even worse when they advertise the drugs for twenty seconds and then have to read out all the side-effects for about a minute afterwards.  Always seemed a bit counter-productive to me.

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Even worse when they advertise the drugs for twenty seconds and then have to read out all the side-effects for about a minute afterwards.  Always seemed a bit counter-productive to me.

It used to be illegal to market prescription drugs directly to the public and advertise on TV in the US, which is a sensible policy.  The drug companies spent obscene amounts marketing to physicians and pharmacists.  This included lots of free samples, coffee mugs with the drugs' names emblazoned on them, lavish parties at professional conferences, wining and dining potential prescribers, catering lunch for hospital departments, etc.   But at least their targets were somewhat knowledgeable about the products, their advantages and disadvantages, and alternatives on the market.  The Federal Drug Administration and/or Federal Communications Commission decided to allow them to market directly, I believe during the Republicans' anti-regulation push of the GW Bush years.  It is a lot more cost effective for big Pharma if they can get potential customers without the  proper training and knowledge to evaluate them critically to pressure their physicians to give them the drugs.  They had been pushing for this for a long time and got their wish, but the trade-off that the FDA demanded was that they also had to be transparent about potential risks.   Hence the ad that makes their drug look like it works miracles, followed by the high speed recitation of potential side effects.

• Like 2

manchester-city-niall-quinn-282-merlin-s

2874227_R_Z002A?$Web$&w=570&h=513

What's this? Clearly, it's Niall Quinn and a lawnmower. Right? Now delete "lawnm" from lawnmower and delete "Niall". Put them together and you have QUINN OWER.

So there I was at lunch, rushed, didn't fancy sarnie and crisps. Tesco meal deal, sorted. Bitch at work asks oooooh what's that. ITS QUINOA I say (which I pronounced Quinn ower) and she laughs hysterically like I just used the wrong fork in silver service dining. So she says no it's pronounced 'KEEN WAHHHH" , but laughs cut short when some other bitch butts in to say no its 'KINWAR.'

w t f. Part of me wonders how to pronounce it properly but fk it QUINN OWER , loud and proud. It's not even accented like French pronunciations are. Pretentious shite. Tastes alright though but fk it ploughmans it is tomorrow

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I always thought it was pronounced '"Quin-ower" as well @Midfielder and only learnt otherwise after I heard someone talk about it.

Damned straight brother. It's Quinn ower to me for sure. I can't recall ever hearing it said before but how can anyone read that as being pronounced keen wahhhh I could be wrong but I'm sticking with Quinn Ower. 

This is what happens when hipster graduates get given marketing jobs in food retail / FMCG. Keenwahh my arse. 

• Like 2

@Midfielder  I am a little bit disappointed that a man of your ilk decided to purchase it. I thought it was the reserve of women, effeminate hipsters and woodland animals 

Edited by Xela

26 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

What's this? Clearly, it's Niall Quinn and a lawnmower. Right? Now delete "lawnm" from lawnmower and delete "Niall". Put them together and you have QUINN OWER.

So there I was at lunch, rushed, didn't fancy sarnie and crisps. Tesco meal deal, sorted. Bitch at work asks oooooh what's that. ITS QUINOA I say (which I pronounced Quinn ower) and she laughs hysterically like I just used the wrong fork in silver service dining. So she says no it's pronounced 'KEEN WAHHHH" , but laughs cut short when some other bitch butts in to say no its 'KINWAR.'

w t f. Part of me wonders how to pronounce it properly but fk it QUINN OWER , loud and proud. It's not even accented like French pronunciations are. Pretentious shite. Tastes alright though but fk it ploughmans it is tomorrow

I asked for the correct pronunciation at my local restaurant. It's 'Egg-Fried-Rice'.

Edited by wazzap24
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I asked for the correct pronunciation at my local restaurant. It's 'Egg-Fried-Rice'.

That would be the ultimate three quid Tesco meal deal. "Wazzaps Quinoa" with chicken or shredded beef option, prawn crackers instead of crisps, and a curry sauce or sweet n sour instead of the drink. Three quid. Supermarket generic , not just Tesco.

Sorted. Let's pitch that on Dragon Den, you do the sales pitch I'll be the human flipchart. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

@Midfielder  I am a little bit disappointed that a man of your ilk decided to purchase it. I thought it was the reserve of women, effeminate hipsters and woodland animals 

im not sure I have any ilk at all my man. but did feel after quinoa purchase like I had disgraced the Y chromosome somewhat

must avoid quinoa purchase tomorrow as two days in a row I'll run risk of buying some Shirley basey off iTunes and getting my eyebrows done on the way home kinda thing

• Like 1

And because 'the West' has decided quinoa is now cool, healthy and tasty, many in South America (Bolivia) who relied on it as a staple can no longer afford to eat it because we've decided we're eating it too (and tripled its price).  Slow clap for gentrification and fad rocket polishers :hooray:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Quinoa is the new bulgur wheat. Which was the new cous cous. 

They're all shit. 

I've heard it's lovely with some Quorn Mince and deliberately undercooked Pak Choi  :puke:

• Haha 1

Â