Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

15 hours ago, Xela said:

I was just tucking into a biscuit while reading that. A weight watchers one, but still. 

A weight watchers biscuit :lol: 

:crylaugh:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

A weight watchers biscuit :lol: 

:crylaugh:

I have genuinely known women who would eat a slap-up meal, and believe it would be neutralised by eating some 'slimming biscuits' afterwards. 

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have genuinely known women who would eat a slap-up meal, and believe it would be neutralised by eating some 'slimming biscuits' afterwards. 

These people are the reason the rest of us are now forcably inflicted with artificially sweetened Lucozade, but don't get me started.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, I worked with a woman who for lunch would have a jacket potato with cheese and beans, chicken nuggets, pasta....and a salad to be healthy.

10 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Yep, I worked with a woman who for lunch would have a jacket potato with cheese and beans, chicken nuggets, pasta....and a salad to be healthy.

I do at least have an iota of sympathy for people who eat things like pasta or a plate of spuds and think it's the healthy option.  Not that it's unhealthy.  It isn't.  It's just hooogely calorific and they don't realise it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I do at least have an iota of sympathy for people who eat things like pasta or a plate of spuds and think it's the healthy option.  Not that it's unhealthy.  It isn't.  It's just hooogely calorific and they don't realise it.

And this is where the exercise comes in. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

And this is where the exercise comes in. 

Exactly, there's a reason marathon runners load up on carbs beforehand, and it's the same reason [the general 'you'] should not :) 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Exactly, there's a reason marathon runners load up on carbs beforehand, and it's the same reason [the general 'you'] should not :) 

The great Ron Hill continued to run every single day after he retired from competitive athletics (he only missed his first day a few months ago, through injury). He always said that the main reason he did it was so that he could drink as much beer as he liked.

• Like 1

Slimming biscuits - I went to a food retail convention thing 14 years ago now I think when I worked for cookie company and our stand was opposite what I'd consider to be the leading brand in reduced fat products, was chatting to them about a reduced fat cookie 

"what you do is replace the fat with liquid sugar" 

had probably a 30 minute chat with him, let's just say I've never bothered with any less fat or less sugar product ever again, a huge percentage of it was a basically a con, replacing shit with shit

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Why coffee bags haven't taken off like tea bags. Surely the concept is the same.

I've used coffee bags before and it made really weak coffee. If using ground coffee then a coffee bag could do with being left for at least 4 hours, by which point it'd probably be cold. You could have a coffee bag full of instant coffee, but I suppose that'd be pretty pointless.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The great Ron Hill continued to run every single day after he retired from competitive athletics (he only missed his first day a few months ago, through injury). He always said that the main reason he did it was so that he could drink as much beer as he liked.

I admit I'd never heard of him, so I had to google. I'm assuming there's been plenty of 'Run Hill' jokes.

Anyway, in the same way that people imagine the olden days being in black and white, I always have this daft misconception that running is a modern thing.

8 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Anyway, in the same way that people imagine the olden days being in black and white, I always have this daft misconception that running is a modern thing.

I believe it's "jogging" or "yogging". It might be a soft J.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

One of my best mates at work used to have a plain baked potato and chips at lunch time back when we still had the canteen.  He is a bit simple though bless him.

On 26/07/2017 at 10:55, mjmooney said:

Lots of people (particularly women) are obsessed with eating Belvita biscuits, having fallen for the marketing about them being 'healthy'. I saw a nutritional comparison of Belvita and Hob Nobs. Interestingly, they are virtually identical calorie-wise and if anything, Hob Nobs are more nutritious as the main ingredient is oats (high in fibre), as opposed to Belvita of which the main ingredient is flour (empty calories). I know which I would rather eat!

Â