tonyh29

Things you often Wonder

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

The Netherlands is the spiritual home of mediocre cheese.

Everywhere else falls into one of the two categories you identified, though.

I was leaning towards them but edam is ok and they make some good melting cheese (same with swiss) 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I was leaning towards them but edam is ok and they make some good melting cheese (same with swiss) 

It's all just so ordinary though, isn't it?

Yeah, it's functional and melts etc, but given a choice, you'd never pick it.  Who's walking up to a deli counter, or even a buffet, and picking Edam or Gouda over anything except mild cheddar?

At least with the Swiss, they've got Raclette and Gruyere to liven things up a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

...Who's walking up to a deli counter, or even a buffet, and picking Edam or Gouda over anything...

I'd have some. It's not necessarily a case of choosing it over another cheese, more "as well as".

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'd have some. It's not necessarily a case of choosing it over another cheese, more "as well as".

If there are ten cheeses on the buffet (it's a posh buffet), unless you're hell-bent on getting indigestion by having a bit of each you're not picking the Dutch ones.

Brie
Camembert
Mature Cheddar
Gruyere
Danish Blue
The Mexican one with chillis in it
Stilton
Stinking Bishop
Chevre

Edam

There would probably be some Gouda in the mix too, on reflection, but it'd have to be a pretty high standard and maturity to hold its own in that line-up.  It only goes in there, really, as an easy one for the old people who like to partner it up with a bit of chutney or something.

• Like 2

Round here the Turks will say they have the best cheese and the Bulgarians will say the same,  but nothing beats mature cheddar melted on toast with a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

If there are ten cheeses on the buffet (it's a posh buffet), unless you're hell-bent on getting indigestion by having a bit of each you're not picking the Dutch ones.

Brie
Camembert
Mature Cheddar
Gruyere
Danish Blue
The Mexican one with chillis in it
Stilton
Stinking Bishop
Chevre

Edam

There would probably be some Gouda in the mix too...

I dunno Rob. I don't think I'd have both the Danish Blue and the Stilton - I'd just have one (the DB). Could probably say the same with the Brie/Camembert. There's no emmental on the list, no roquefort, no Garstang Blue, no lancashire.... Wallace would have a fit.

I had Organic extra mature cheddar for m'dinner. t'was good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Round here the Turks will say they have the best cheese and the Bulgarians will say the same,  but nothing beats mature cheddar melted on toast with a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

That's what made me ask, ze Germans think they do cheese, they don't, to be fair there is a lot of it but from what I've had so far it's shit

took a creamy red Leicester with me to the missus parents at Xmas (German middle of nowhere) blew their minds

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno Rob. I don't think I'd have both the Danish Blue and the Stilton - I'd just have one (the DB). Could probably say the same with the Brie/Camembert. There's no emmental on the list, no roquefort, no Garstang Blue, no lancashire.... Wallace would have a fit.

I had Organic extra mature cheddar for m'dinner. t'was good.

All great shouts.

Add in the Emmental, though, and there's even less reason to have Edam.  Even the Gouda, unless it's a proper crunchy one, becomes somewhat redundant because you'll get the nutty sweetness from the Emmental too.

Dutch cheese stays in the bin, for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Germans think they do cheese, they don't, to be fair there is a lot of it but from what I've had so far it's shit

I like their Rauchkäse. Mmmm. Lubbly

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what made me ask, ze Germans think they do cheese, they don't, to be fair there is a lot of it but from what I've had so far it's shit

took a creamy red Leicester with me to the missus parents at Xmas (German middle of nowhere) blew their minds

All the Germans are capable of, really, is Obatzda.  And that's more of a cheese recipe than a cheese.

Allgauer is ok, but it doesn't hold a candle to anything on the cheese board me and Blandy are drawing up.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

All great shouts.

Add in the Emmental, though, and there's even less reason to have Edam.  Even the Gouda, unless it's a proper crunchy one, becomes somewhat redundant because you'll get the nutty sweetness from the Emmental too.

Dutch cheese stays in the bin, for me.

Yeah, you've persuaded me. Given a proper choice of some of the world's best cheeses, I wouldn't have the edam, but I still quite like the stuff occasionally.

• Like 2

Just now, blandy said:

Yeah, you've persuaded me. Given a proper choice of some of the world's best cheeses, I wouldn't have the edam, but I still quite like the stuff occasionally.

Like I say, it serves a purpose.  It's functional.

It, and Gouda, are "good cheese".  But they sit alone in the middle ground that other countries don't inhabit.

• Like 1

Going against the run of play here but I do like a bit of Roulé now and again.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

20 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Going against the run of play here but I do like a bit of Roulé now and again.

Could you brie more specific, now and again, or as a general roule?

• Like 1

Gouda is great for something different, especially when one decides to be terrifically middle class and experiment with a host your own cheese and wine evening. Gouda is nice with a pinot noir I found. ( christ it's hard to talk about liking cheese and wine without sounding like a complete bellend isn't it?  :D ) 

Boursin is lovely, and Abergavenny cheese is nice as well. Also voting for Brie and Stilton. Can't abide camembert, mind.

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Could you brie more specific, now and again, or as a general roule?

Quite often for sure. 

Good to see nobody is getting cheesed off with this thread. Seems to be a very mature subject we're discussing.