Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

I dunno Rob. I don't think I'd have both the Danish Blue and the Stilton - I'd just have one (the DB). Could probably say the same with the Brie/Camembert. There's no emmental on the list, no roquefort, no Garstang Blue, no lancashire.... Wallace would have a fit.

I had Organic extra mature cheddar for m'dinner. t'was good.

All great shouts.

Add in the Emmental, though, and there's even less reason to have Edam.  Even the Gouda, unless it's a proper crunchy one, becomes somewhat redundant because you'll get the nutty sweetness from the Emmental too.

Dutch cheese stays in the bin, for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's what made me ask, ze Germans think they do cheese, they don't, to be fair there is a lot of it but from what I've had so far it's shit

took a creamy red Leicester with me to the missus parents at Xmas (German middle of nowhere) blew their minds

All the Germans are capable of, really, is Obatzda.  And that's more of a cheese recipe than a cheese.

Allgauer is ok, but it doesn't hold a candle to anything on the cheese board me and Blandy are drawing up.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

All great shouts.

Add in the Emmental, though, and there's even less reason to have Edam.  Even the Gouda, unless it's a proper crunchy one, becomes somewhat redundant because you'll get the nutty sweetness from the Emmental too.

Dutch cheese stays in the bin, for me.

Yeah, you've persuaded me. Given a proper choice of some of the world's best cheeses, I wouldn't have the edam, but I still quite like the stuff occasionally.

• Like 2

Just now, blandy said:

Yeah, you've persuaded me. Given a proper choice of some of the world's best cheeses, I wouldn't have the edam, but I still quite like the stuff occasionally.

Like I say, it serves a purpose.  It's functional.

It, and Gouda, are "good cheese".  But they sit alone in the middle ground that other countries don't inhabit.

• Like 1

Gouda is great for something different, especially when one decides to be terrifically middle class and experiment with a host your own cheese and wine evening. Gouda is nice with a pinot noir I found. ( christ it's hard to talk about liking cheese and wine without sounding like a complete bellend isn't it?  :D ) 

Boursin is lovely, and Abergavenny cheese is nice as well. Also voting for Brie and Stilton. Can't abide camembert, mind.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:55, sharkyvilla said:

I've got a mate who switched teams as an adult.  I find it hard to work out how you can grow up loving one team then just throw it all away and support someone else.  To be fair he has gone from supporting Arsenal to Crystal Palace and goes to a lot more matches as a result but I still don't think I could do it in matter how depressing Villa are.

An old class mate of mine did that when we were around 15. This was during the ´80's so every guy in the class who followed football were liverpool fans except me. And one day he told me that he kind of envied me because I followed a team that wasn't as main stream as liverpool. I was unique. So he decided to follow nottingham forest instead. He liked Pearce and later on Des Walker. The we lost contact in the mid '90's. But in a way I kind of liked that he stepped away from liverpool to a "lesser" club. But I agree that it's weird when people does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pelle said:

An old class mate of mine did that when we were around 15. This was during the ´80's so every guy in the class who followed football were liverpool fans except me. And one day he told me that he kind of envied me because I followed a team that wasn't as main stream as liverpool. I was unique. So he decided to follow nottingham forest instead. He liked Pearce and later on Des Walker. The we lost contact in the mid '90's. But in a way I kind of liked that he stepped away from liverpool to a "lesser" club. But I agree that it's weird when people does.

75% of the boys in my junior school (late 80's) supported Liverpool. 

I'd like to think they moved to a more local team once Kenny left and they fell from grace

12 boys in my primary school class including myself.

5 Villa, 4 baggies, 1 Man Utd, 1 who didn’t like football and 1 who switched from Villa to baggies to please a girl he fancied.

If there was a way of forgetting this information to make room for something useful, I’d do it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

The Old Amsterdam Mature that Waitrose sells on their deli counters is very nice.

I remember having some old mature in Amsterdam once. She hummed!

• Haha 3

Â