Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I've got a mate who switched teams as an adult.  I find it hard to work out how you can grow up loving one team then just throw it all away and support someone else.  To be fair he has gone from supporting Arsenal to Crystal Palace and goes to a lot more matches as a result but I still don't think I could do it in matter how depressing Villa are.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Weirder than glory hunters, I have two mates who love football but don't follow a team.

They're from different groups of mates, they don't know each other. One's from Dudley, the other's from Huddersfield.

I don't understand how they got through school without having an allegiance. How can they get excited about a new season if they haven't got a horse in the race?

The worst is when one of them gives me stick about Villa. That shouldn't be allowed if you don't follow a club, I can't come back with anything.

I have another mate who has always liked football, never had a team, but has got himself a season ticket at Wolves this year.

Yeah I have that too with one mate.

I think it's because he comes from Grantham where they don't really have a big club anywhere near them.
He used to say he half followed Nottingham Forest, but it was just a token nomination I think because he got asked so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Weirder than glory hunters, I have two mates who love football but don't follow a team.

They're from different groups of mates, they don't know each other. One's from Dudley, the other's from Huddersfield.

I don't understand how they got through school without having an allegiance. How can they get excited about a new season if they haven't got a horse in the race?

The worst is when one of them gives me stick about Villa. That shouldn't be allowed if you don't follow a club, I can't come back with anything.

I have another mate who has always liked football, never had a team, but has got himself a season ticket at Wolves this year.

That is odd.  I get it if you've taken an interest in a sport later in life (like say NFL), but as you say, to go through school with no allegiance is strange.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2019 at 11:24, Wainy316 said:

A lot of people I meet that claim to be a Patriots fan also happen to be a Man Utd fan.  Anybody else noticed a correlation?  

I think some people are so lacking in self-esteem that they derive confidence from how well their sports team are doing.  Given my own sports team portfolio, I'm obviously chock full of self-esteem.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I think some people are so lacking in self-esteem that they derive confidence from how well their sports team are doing.  Given my own sports team portfolio, I'm obviously chock full of self-esteem.

You like Formula 1. You have massive penis envy :mrgreen:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I know 2 blokes like that at work. Love football but don't follow a team. Coincidentally they are both huge England fans and go to the international games (one has been a few World Cups)

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've got a mate who switched teams as an adult.  I find it hard to work out how you can grow up loving one team then just throw it all away and support someone else.  To be fair he has gone from supporting Arsenal to Crystal Palace and goes to a lot more matches as a result but I still don't think I could do it in matter how depressing Villa are.

I know a few adults who have fallen out of love with the game and stopped following their team. I get that, I'm not as passionate about Villa than I was, say, in the 90's or 00's. 

Non league grounds are full of fans who have given up on 'modern' football. It was the basis of FCUM being formed! 

Perhaps even more strange, those who support multiple local teams. The father of one of my mates used to always get a season ticket for either Villa, Blues, Albion or Wolves, changing each year. And my Dad (from Merseyside) happily admitted to supporting Liverpool AND Everton. Weird. 

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And my Dad (from Merseyside) happily admitted to supporting Liverpool AND Everton

There's a lot of that amongst the older folk in Liverpool

37 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know a few adults who have fallen out of love with the game and stopped following their team.

That'll be me, couldn't tell you who we're playing at weekend or the score from the last game

Just now, bickster said:

There's a lot of that amongst the older folk in Liverpool

I always assumed that it was because he was a Scouse exiled in Birmingham, with a blanket loyalty to his old stomping ground - and wondered if he would preferred one or the other had he stayed on Merseyside. Maybe not, though. He admired the Best/Law/Charlton Man Utd, but disliked Revie's Leeds, all London clubs, and anybody managed by Brian Clough. And he was born in Dublin, and professed equal support for the Ireland and England national teams. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

I always assumed that it was because he was a Scouse exiled in Birmingham, with a blanket loyalty to his old stomping ground - and wondered if he would preferred one or the other had he stayed on Merseyside. Maybe not, though. He admired the Best/Law/Charlton Man Utd, but disliked Revie's Leeds, all London clubs, and anybody managed by Brian Clough. And he was born in Dublin, and professed equal support for the Ireland and England national teams. 

I meet a lot of old fellas in their 70's and older who profess to treat both clubs equally, I guess they are probably much younger than your Dad, it clearly was a thing but definitely not any more

On 07/02/2019 at 16:05, Wainy316 said:

Yep, Blues fans (as 'orrible as they are) over Brummie Reds any day of the week.

The absolute worst are the brummie reds who discovered their lifelong loyalty for the blose after they got promoted 15 or so years ago. I don't hear much from them nowadays...

• Like 2

Bit of a nostalgic thing here and prompted by the amount of kid’s tv I watch with my kid...

When I was aged about 5 through to 10 (so the late 80’s through to the mid 90’s), I remember seeing the classic Warner bros. cartoons all the time - bugs, daffy and that lot, the Tex Avery stuff. 

What I’m wondering, is when they stopped showing them. I’m sure there’s a sky kids channel that has them, but I wonder when/why they ceased being on a terrestrial channel. 

I know they’re old cartoons so maybe they’re a bit old hat, (I reckon they’d be alright) but they weren’t exactly brand new when I saw them as a kid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Bit of a nostalgic thing here and prompted by the amount of kid’s tv I watch with my kid...

When I was aged about 5 through to 10 (so the late 80’s through to the mid 90’s), I remember seeing the classic Warner bros. cartoons all the time - bugs, daffy and that lot, the Tex Avery stuff. 

What I’m wondering, is when they stopped showing them. I’m sure there’s a sky kids channel that has them, but I wonder when/why they ceased being on a terrestrial channel. 

I know they’re old cartoons so maybe they’re a bit old hat, (I reckon they’d be alright) but they weren’t exactly brand new when I saw them as a kid.

Is it down to them being a bit 'un PC' nowadays that the networks are scared to show them. With the racial stereotypes, violence, smoking, etc. That's what I remember reading anyway. Not sure if there is any truth to it?

Anyway, from Family Guy, this always makes me laugh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Is it down to them being a bit 'un PC' nowadays that the networks are scared to show them. With the racial stereotypes, violence, smoking, etc. That's what I remember reading anyway. Not sure if there is any truth to it?

Maybe some of the stuff is (that wolf character that used to wolf whistle at the cartoon lady definitely would be frowned on now) but what’s “un PC” about Wile E. Coyote? Or Elmer Fudd not killing a rabbit and/or duck?

Porky Pig having a stutter might be questioned now I guess. And Sylvester having a lisp.

I’m just curious when they decided to stop showing them, that and stuff like “Top Cat”. They were on when I was a kid and it’s as if at some point in the past twenty or so years they’ve said “these old cartoons, they’re a bit too old now, so let’s not knock it on the head.*”

*with an ACME approved anvil.

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Maybe some of the stuff is (that wolf character that used to wolf whistle at the cartoon lady definitely would be frowned on now) but what’s “un PC” about Wile E. Coyote? Or Elmer Fudd not killing a rabbit and/or duck?

Porky Pig having a stutter might be questioned now I guess. And Sylvester having a lisp.

I’m just curious when they decided to stop showing them, that and stuff like “Top Cat”. They were on when I was a kid and it’s as if at some point in the past twenty or so years they’ve said “these old cartoons, they’re a bit too old now, so let’s not knock it on the head.*”

*with an ACME approved anvil.

I assume it was to do with the violence.  The Simpsons obviously satirised it with Itchy and Scratchy and that episode where Marge started the campaign against them, so I assume there was something bubbling up in the 90s.  I can vaguely remember them being on when I started secondary school probably mid to late 90s.  I don't think the main terrestrial channels show any kids TV any more.

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I assume it was to do with the violence.  The Simpsons obviously satirised it with Itchy and Scratchy and that episode where Marge started the campaign against them, so I assume there was something bubbling up in the 90s.  I can vaguely remember them being on when I started secondary school probably mid to late 90s.  I don't think the main terrestrial channels show any kids TV any more.

Channel 5 do in the morning, they have a morning kids section with Peppa Pig etc. But you’re generally right, they kind of have their own freeview channels.

Maybe it’s the violence, I never really considered them violent but then having grown up watching the cartoons I’m less likely to I guess.

Â