Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

One of my mates uncles had, as part of his job, to visit pubs and restaurants and test the Coke to see if it was being mixed correctly. I never understood what could actually be done if they were **** it up or fiddling it, but he apparently did spend a lot of time going round the country testing pints of Coke.

Water/syrup mix ratio and too much/not enough CO2. They are rarely right and even when they are it still tastes like shite

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

Because it's made from syrup.

If it comes out of the dispenser, it's what's known in the trade as post-mix. In the back somewhere there are big bags of syrup, to which are added water and CO2 in the pub

It's not the same, the process has rarely worked properly but no one in the industry complains because the profit is HUGE. A pint of post-mix Coke costs about 5p to the pub. Don't feel guilty about not drinking, they make more money out of you than any other customer and you are drinking shite

It can cost as much to have a pint of 'coke syrup' as a pint of lager. Disgraceful. 

Just have a beer and drink and drive instead :trollface:

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Water/syrup mix ratio and too much/not enough CO2. They are rarely right and even when they are it still tastes like shite

Yeah I meant more what sanction would be possible if the Coke was being done badly or whatnot. The pubs are paying sod all for the syrup (I had actually understood some places got it free?) and it's effectively a form of advertising, so I'm not sure what could be done if he found a pub was skimping on the syrup or whatnot.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Yeah I meant more what sanction would be possible if the Coke was being done badly or whatnot. The pubs are paying sod all for the syrup (I had actually understood some places got it free?) and it's effectively a form of advertising, so I'm not sure what could be done if he found a pub was skimping on the syrup or whatnot.

I suspect it's not so much about pubs being fraudulent and more about the equipment being faulty. In the cellar there's generally a load of boxes containing bags of syrup, these feed into the "post-mix machine" as does the CO2 and when the dispenser is pressed the machine dispenses the correct drink (as long as the correct drink is connected to the right pipe obv). It's the machine that does all the work, if it's out it may need recalibrating or something. Post-mix fraud is pointless, you'd make pennies more.

You can generally get the machines and set up free but you generally have to pay for the syrup. Tied into a contract that restricts you to the one supplier for the syrup. The wholesaler burdens the cost of the machine in order to guarantee your custom for the period the machine is installed.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Don't forget the condition of the pipes!

I used to be the pipe cleaner!

True story that.

Also, quality control. Coke / Pepsi don't want people saying Pepsi / Coke is nicer.

Pepsi over Coke all day.

Thanks @bickster for the all the insightful clarifying info too. :thumb:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Because it's made from syrup.

If it comes out of the dispenser, it's what's known in the trade as post-mix. In the back somewhere there are big bags of syrup, to which are added water and CO2 in the pub

It's not the same, the process has rarely worked properly 

Pepsi Nitro is about to change that process

be interesting to see if it is a success or if it bombs 

On 15/02/2019 at 06:02, TheAuthority said:

You're more patient than me @Xela You actually finish reading @A'Villan 's posts :D

Slightly embarrassing. Jokes on me but I enjoyed it all the same.

Probably some feedback I can learn from though.

At over 1000 posts and the length of each, I might've written a bloody doctoral thesis.

Thank goodness I don't frequent facebook or the youtube comment section too.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

At over 1000 posts and the length of each, I might've written a bloody doctoral thesis.

tl;dr ;)

• Haha 4

On 15/02/2019 at 16:41, Pelle said:

I think over here it was more about Ian Rush. But I couldn't really tell them to support their local team, could I? 😛 

Rush, Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge, Houghton, McMahon, etc.... they were outstanding. 

The way they discarded Aldridge was a bit harsh though once Rush was bought back from Juve. I think Aldo was the slightly better player at that point.

21 hours ago, Chindie said:

One of my mates uncles had, as part of his job, to visit pubs and restaurants and test the Coke to see if it was being mixed correctly. I never understood what could actually be done if they were **** it up or fiddling it, but he apparently did spend a lot of time going round the country testing pints of Coke.

when i worked at a cookie factory some years ago we made frozen cookie pucks for a supermarket to put in a certain type of oven, it had a cookie setting, we issued instructions for time, temperature, how put them in how to take them out, how to cool them, idiot proof

supermarkets couldn't do it, i would say around 75% are baked wrong

fortunately i test baked that many i could see what they'd done wrong without having to eat it (cant remember exactly what happened it was stuff like crystallised sugar on the bottom you had tried to bake them higher and quicker)

people are idiots

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

when i worked at a cookie factory some years ago we made frozen cookie pucks for a supermarket to put in a certain type of oven, it had a cookie setting, we issued instructions for time, temperature, how put them in how to take them out, how to cool them, idiot proof

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

thats no joke, baked maybe around 80 test cookies a day, same again you know when they're not right, if they've missed a bag of flour or sugar out of the mix you'll see the mess (and it only happened once in 2 years) so thats at least 80 cookies a day sat on my desk, then if you had say a presentation to make you'd bake around 50 cookies and pick 10 - 20 best looking ones, then there were the trial ones when we played with the flavours trial and error, it was madness

and then then asked me to start looking at donuts...

2 favourite things there - 1) i'd been there around about a month i think so you're talking 2003, we had a box of american dounts sent over, tescos were interested, thaw and serve meaning you defrost them and sell them, i had a box of 48 donuts to eat, write a report and tell tescos what i thought of them, they were shite, really dry and bland, tescos came in, a big head honcho from my place came in, started telling a story about how they'd  expanded with these thaw and serve and destroyed their brand name in the states and were looking for a new life in the UK, i told tescos dont bother, we all ate donuts, tescos agreed they weren't interested in selling them - they were krispy kreme

2) we had a bit of a down turn every xmas so the one year someone came up with the brilliant of stopping cookie production buying an absolute ton of rejected mince pies from M&S (any sign of juice on the crust M&S rejected them) we had about 40 people cutting the top off each pie spraying cream in there and then sitting the top back on and selling them to BHS, we couldnt do enough of them, hundreds of boxes of them left over, i was giving them away, selling them, eating them, its was crazy, i reckon everyone there took at least 2 boxes home (a box containing around 120 mince pies) i took about 8 home

• Like 1

3 and a half stone in 2 years, lost it last year

we pitched so much stuff! brownies, shortbread, bagels, pizza pocket things, cakes, sandwich packs that came with a cookie included, subway cookies (the best imo) used to be made in america and shipped here giving them a GM problem i spent a year of my life taste testing and making cookies to try and get a perfect match on the recipe, body of it and the chocolate etc was easy but they use a type of american vanilla that we just couldnt suss out

we had exclusive bakery rights with jelly belly, i ordered 1kg bags of 8 flavours, i made one batch of cookies, they werent bake stable and the sugar cracked in the oven, ate the rest

• Like 1

16 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Tell him to **** off and post some more dog/baby videos NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE.

:lol:

Â