Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'd imagine it is only the listed writers of the song that would get royalties. 

Not entirely true, there are mechanical royalties too I.e. for performing on the track
Nowhere near as lucrative and often bought out at the time but the concept does exist

• Like 2

The kids on another brick on the wall part 2 eventually received royalties. Took a bit of a legal battle but they apparently receive some money every so often.

Fast-forward 20 years, and Rowan launched his quest to track down ex-choir singers from Islington Green, a task made easier by the launch of proto-social networking website Friends Reunited. The first of them was signed up in 2002, and to date Rowan reckons he has more than half of the 12 or so singers on his books, all of them now in their 50s. The money rolls in annually on a hit which – thanks not least to its association with Christmas – will never go away.

The other golden goose-a-laying every festive season for Rowan and his clients is 1973’s I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day by Wizzard, another festive hit featuring a kids choir – in this case from Birmingham’s Stockland Green School. “They were easier to find,” Rowan says, “because some of them were still in touch with one another.”

The Big Issue

I’ll try and remember to give a quid to the next big issue seller I see as they’ve provided the info.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

So our dog was suffering from GI problems and the vet prescribed a probiotic to give with meals while they awaited lab results.  After a couple of days they prescribed an antibiotic to be given with meals with no mention of whether to continue the probiotic.   At his next feeding we wondered, will the probiotic and antibiotic cancel each other out?  

There was an odd period about three or four years ago when our local Morrisons had a playlist that sounded like it had been compiled by me - full of west coast rock and Americana, including some quite obscure album tracks. Didn't last long, sadly, but greatly enhanced my shopping experience for a while. 

The store may have commissioned a suite of songs from an individual or group to buy outright?

The store may have licensed the tunes from an audio library?

The above swerves the Performing Rights Society's fees. They collect from any business that plays copyrighted material to the public.

I'm sure I've asked this on here before but can you buy a footballer? If you're a millionaire, and say they're not a particularly ambitious player. You'd have to pay their wages too obviously.

Like could I bid say £2million for Kourtney Hause and offer him a 3 year contract, or is there laws against it?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I'm sure I've asked this on here before but can you buy a footballer? If you're a millionaire, and say they're not a particularly ambitious player. You'd have to pay their wages too obviously.

Like could I bid say £2million for Kourtney Hause and offer him a 3 year contract, or is there laws against it?

More cost-effective to buy a referee. 

12 minutes ago, turvontour said:

This is similar to third party ownership, which 'used to be' a thing in the professional game. Iirc it's largely been banned now, but it was a thing in South American football for donkeys and, in a smaller way, Spain and Portugal. A non-football company or rich individual would buy an interest in or outright own the rights to a player and then teams would pay the owner for the player to join them. The problem though is it's absolutely toxic for sporting competition.

The only time it really became a thing in the UK was the Tevez and Mascherano scandal West Ham got involved in. It then got banned, and I think it was technically illegal in the UK game anyway before that - I can't recall the exact details.

Its arguably not gone away though because people have clocked that an agent can basically do 90% of the TPO thing without breaking any laws. And undoubtedly if someone did want to still do that kind of arrangement there will be lawyers and accountants tricks to allow it.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

This is similar to third party ownership, which 'used to be' a thing in the professional game. Iirc it's largely been banned now, but it was a thing in South American football for donkeys and, in a smaller way, Spain and Portugal. A non-football company or rich individual would buy an interest in or outright own the rights to a player and then teams would pay the owner for the player to join them. The problem though is it's absolutely toxic for sporting competition.

The only time it really became a thing in the UK was the Tevez and Mascherano scandal West Ham got involved in. It then got banned, and I think it was technically illegal in the UK game anyway before that - I can't recall the exact details.

Its arguably not gone away though because people have clocked that an agent can basically do 90% of the TPO thing without breaking any laws. And undoubtedly if someone did want to still do that kind of arrangement there will be lawyers and accountants tricks to allow it.

I presumed when he mentioned Kortney Hause, he was just going to get him to mow his lawn, not actually play football

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I presumed when he mentioned Kortney Hause, he was just going to get him to mow his lawn, not actually play football

Oh ye no sorry that's what I meant.

I suppose in the same way obscenely wealthy people can buy expensive cars as a status thing despite having zero interest in them. 

I'm just wondering whether you could buy a footballer. Particularly one who doesn't really play football or want to play football, and if you're offering better terms than their club.

You could then play football with them if you wanted, or I suppose whatever you want, within reason, within their usual training hours. 

4 hours ago, turvontour said:

I'm sure spending money on a persons time to utilise their body and skills is called something ;)

6 hours ago, turvontour said:

With a budget of £2M why limit yourself to a footballer.

You could be a club owner and have eleven of the little scamps round yours on a Sunday for nibbles n dribbles.

Â