Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Do you often wonder why?

I heard when you went back in, she said "It won't be long" and you said you already had that one.

A short tale was it?

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 08:44, Stevo985 said:

Discus was the sport I was best at.

Set numerous school records at that (that still stand as far as I know) and won pretty much every athletics meet I had. Was hitting 35-40m at about 14 years old.

But nobody ever trained me at it so as everyone else improved I stayed more or less the same. Other people started adding spins and technical stuff and I was still just standing up and chucking it.

anything throwing related I'm pants at .. when I oinked  a dead toad out the pool the other year it even took me 3 goes to ping it over the neighbours fence  ....

• Like 1

Does anyone know what would happen if North Korea or similar launched a missile / Satellite into space that was filled with millions of ball bearings and was detonated at normal Satellite orbit ? 

I am thinking that 20 % goes towards the earth and is melted on re-entry.

20 % goes outwards to the dark reaches of space

60 % goes into orbit around the path depending on which way it explodes outward from the launch vehicle.

So, we then have these ball bearings going around in orbit on random paths at 50,000 mph.  What would the effect be on the already orbiting satellites,  would this disable all communications / spy schatelites / the time and GPS ? I am thinking that in the film "Gravity" the damage inflicted on other vehicles from junk can be quite serious.

I am thinking about writing a book you see.  Who would know this sort of stuff do you think ?

On 4/26/2016 at 10:35, mjmooney said:

Unknowable, but there is a school of thought that some people just have a "champion's mentality", and will probably succeed at whatever they turn their hand to, through sheer determination - there are several olympians who have been winners in two or more (often very different) sports. Whereas the rest of us may have a bit of talent, but will never truly excel because we simply don't have the stick-at-it mindset. 

It's probably the same for writers, musicians, etc. The old "ten thousand hours of practice" thing. 

Rob Chapman (the guitarist) did a video on this and although I can see some truth in it, I wasn't convinced, especially after he described the environment he was brought up in.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

7 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

What's the difference between bio and non-bio laundry powder, and should I actually care?

I got this off the google.  I did not know this beforehand OK?  Got it?  Right.  It seems bio is better at cleaning your clothes, but non-bio is easier on sensitive skin cuz it doesn't have the enzymes wot do be in the bio innit (and it's the enzymes that do the cleaning).

The difference is that women, be it your mom or your missus, will moan like **** if you buy bio and then blame you for every itch they ever have (careful...) because they are allergic to bio while you sit there perfectly fine wondering what the **** they're going on about

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

People walking down the street holding the mobile at arms length with it on speaker phone! 

Just why?

Don't go to America mate, everyone seemed to be doing that when I went a few years back 

Why it is that all men* everywhere appear to know how to play the fruit machines (seemingly with the relevant knowledge acquired at birth), but I don't. 

I think I must have been sick the day they taught it at school.

* I've don't believe I've ever seen a woman play a fruit machine gambler so can't comment on their prowess.

• Like 3

Why it is that all men* everywhere appear to know how to play the fruit machines (seemingly with the relevant knowledge acquired at birth), but I don't. 

* I've don't believe I've ever seen a woman play a fruit machine gambler so can't comment on their prowess.

I've noticed this.

I've got Scooby doo what they're doing. The little tappy tappy here and there. Eh?

Yeah, in ye olden days you could wait for the manager to leave the bar, unscrew the front of the machine and write down the sequence on the rotating drums.

The skill was in not winning too much and having the machine taken away.

10 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I've noticed this.

I've got Scooby doo what they're doing. The little tappy tappy here and there. Eh?

I know you need three lemons or three of something to win money. Well, I think that's the case.

There's normally around a dozen buttons on the machines, but when I've watched friends play they only seem to press two, maybe three, of the buttons. I can never bring myself to ask what the others do.

It's one of those life skills I always thought I'd pick up but never did. Even as a teenager, my mates seem to know how to play while I stood by trying to work out what was happening.

32 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I don't. I also wouldn't know how to bet on a horse race - never been in a bookie's. I don't know how to play poker (or pretty much any card game, actually). I don't even understand all the different types of lottery ticket. 

This should really be in the "Things you don't 'get'" thread. 

Gambling. 

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I don't. I also wouldn't know how to bet on a horse race - never been in a bookie's. I don't know how to play poker (or pretty much any card game, actually). I don't even understand all the different types of lottery ticket. 

This should really be in the "Things you don't 'get'" thread. 

Gambling. 

Ah well I have played poker - not very well; I've been to Worcester races - fairly straight forward in how to fill out a betting slip (the people behind the counter are very helpful if you don't know -almost like they just want your money ;)), don't play the lottery but I know how to.

Having said that, I'm not much of a gambler at all. I've no real desire to play on the fruit machines either. It just crosses my mind that a lot of guys around my age seemed to know how to play from the outset and I didn't.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

When I was a young lad I played fruit machines a lot. Handed over a tenner for a pint then the £8 change would last till I needed another pint. You get to know most of the machines and how they work. Then I got older and more sensible and a family which meant chucking tenners into machines was no longer affordable. 

Now I haven't a clue how they work and if I ever venture onto one I a like a frightening confused child and that is the best way to be. Also they are disproportionately more expensive now.  It was OK at 10p per play but now it's 25p or 50p. You need to be chucking in fifties. No idea how people afford them now 

Â