Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

when i was watching bbc news yesterday they interviewed a villa fan and asked who they want. i thought she might say moyes or hughes. no she said billic or chris hughton. obviously not a very ambitious person. lol

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we go out of our way to contact a team to tell them we have not spoken to your manager.

Said manager then resigns the same day but hasnt spoken to any club according to his agent.

We then let it be known that he is not a candidate when 12 months ago he was the top candidate if our then manager had walked a little sooner.

That all sound plausible doesnt it

According to who?

It does seem we are in for a more popular appointment this time. I hadn't considered Jol too much even though I was keen last year. How did he do at Ajax. And is he still there now/when did he leave?

He quit Ajax earlier in the year.

why did he quit?

did he actually quit, or was he sacked, or was it 'mutual consent'?

Martin Jol quit Monday as coach of struggling Dutch powerhouse Ajax and will be replaced by former Netherlands defender Frank de Boer, at least until the end of December.

Ajax said in a statement on its website it had agreed to Jol's request to terminate his contract, two days after the club struggled to a 1-1 draw with lowly NEC Nijmegen to slip to fourth in the Dutch league. The four-time European champion also has been knocked out of the Champions League.

"I'm leaving this beautiful club with pain in my heart," the 57-year-old Jol said. "We started something in the summer of last year that I wanted to finish. But I've come to realize that the expectations were too high after last season. We couldn't live up to those expectations and that hurts."

He was then rumoured to go straight to Newcastle.. but that never happened.. so i dont know if he did what Mark Hughes has just done...

So we go out of our way to contact a team to tell them we have not spoken to your manager.

Said manager then resigns the same day but hasnt spoken to any club according to his agent.

We then let it be known that he is not a candidate when 12 months ago he was the top candidate if our then manager had walked a little sooner.

According to who?

Apparently, he was never on our radar 12 months ago. Listen to interview below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13636404.stm

It does seem we are in for a more popular appointment this time. I hadn't considered Jol too much even though I was keen last year. How did he do at Ajax. And is he still there now/when did he leave?

He quit Ajax earlier in the year.

why did he quit?

did he actually quit, or was he sacked, or was it 'mutual consent'?

Martin Jol quit Monday as coach of struggling Dutch powerhouse Ajax and will be replaced by former Netherlands defender Frank de Boer, at least until the end of December.

Ajax said in a statement on its website it had agreed to Jol's request to terminate his contract, two days after the club struggled to a 1-1 draw with lowly NEC Nijmegen to slip to fourth in the Dutch league. The four-time European champion also has been knocked out of the Champions League.

"I'm leaving this beautiful club with pain in my heart," the 57-year-old Jol said. "We started something in the summer of last year that I wanted to finish. But I've come to realize that the expectations were too high after last season. We couldn't live up to those expectations and that hurts."

He was then rumoured to go straight to Newcastle.. but that never happened.. so i dont know if he did what Mark Hughes has just done...

Ajax did go on to win the league without him though!

My thoughts:

Ancelotti - the equivalent of us signing a world class player in his prime - so not realistic, but worth an ask obviously. He's one of the best managers in the world, has won everything and his stock has hardly fallen by coming 2nd. Would be the most high profile manager that the club has had in modern times, by a long long way. Surely impossible, but we can dream.

Hughes - not just a 'safe' option - a good young manager who has done well at each club he's been at - don't underestimate his time at Blackburn. To get Fulham 8th was also a really good achievement last season. Can certainly spot a good player (Dembele, Kompany) and would offer a much needed stability.

Jol - known for attractive football, he's a smart and likeable guy who I'm sure we'd all warm to. At Ajax, his team scored plenty of goals and he was very poorly treated at Spurs considering the results he got there and the players that he brought through.

Mclaren - not the clown that the press make him out to be, but wasn't really deserving of the England job in the first place, given that he was just a 'yes man' to take over from Sven. Some achievement at boro, but bankrolled and let's not forget the moment when Cattermole cried as we beat his lot 4-0 and the fan ran on to rip his Boro season ticket up. Wouldn't be impressed with this one and I'm not jumping on a bandwagon - he's just not a very inspiring choice, despite some success abroad.

Martinez - my sneaky pick actually - young, attacking, good football and although he hasn't actually done that well at Wigan, only keeping them up on the last day, he'd have better resources with us and I think he's a smart coach.

Benitez - I don't like the man - stubborn, petty, lost it at Liverpool with sarcastic interviews and poor morale. But he's won the Spanish title at a non Madrid/Barca club as well as the Champs League, so you can't really knock his overall record. Possibly a new start is all he needed. Inter Milan wanted him and they're no mugs, so he'd certainly have plenty of contacts.

Moyes - like many, my favourite. Good guy, integrity, eye for a player, great dressing room, real intelligence and potential to get even better. Too much class to leave his Everton post, I'd have thought - but ironically it's that character that makes him such a likeable manager.

Overall, apart from McClaren, everyone on the list above would improve us - and that's coming from someone that actually thinks Houllier would've cracked it if he'd been given time.

I'd be extremely surprised if we haven't appointed anyone by 12-14th june at latest. I expect something by later next week though.

Graham Taylor saying an appointment has to be made within the next seven days, to give the new manager and the players a chance.

A little critical of Randy it seemed :shock:

If you think about it this is maybe the only time in the year that a club can really take it's time in finding a new manager.

I see nothing wrong with it taking about two weeks, I don't think it would do us any harm in the transfer market.

It's just important for Randy to make the right decision.

My thoughts:

Ancelotti - the equivalent of us signing a world class player in his prime - so not realistic, but worth an ask obviously. He's one of the best managers in the world, has won everything and his stock has hardly fallen by coming 2nd. Would be the most high profile manager that the club has had in modern times, by a long long way. Surely impossible, but we can dream.

Hughes - not just a 'safe' option - a good young manager who has done well at each club he's been at - don't underestimate his time at Blackburn. To get Fulham 8th was also a really good achievement last season. Can certainly spot a good player (Dembele, Kompany) and would offer a much needed stability.

Jol - known for attractive football, he's a smart and likeable guy who I'm sure we'd all warm to. At Ajax, his team scored plenty of goals and he was very poorly treated at Spurs considering the results he got there and the players that he brought through.

Mclaren - not the clown that the press make him out to be, but wasn't really deserving of the England job in the first place, given that he was just a 'yes man' to take over from Sven. Some achievement at boro, but bankrolled and let's not forget the moment when Cattermole cried as we beat his lot 4-0 and the fan ran on to rip his Boro season ticket up. Wouldn't be impressed with this one and I'm not jumping on a bandwagon - he's just not a very inspiring choice, despite some success abroad.

Martinez - my sneaky pick actually - young, attacking, good football and although he hasn't actually done that well at Wigan, only keeping them up on the last day, he'd have better resources with us and I think he's a smart coach.

Benitez - I don't like the man - stubborn, petty, lost it at Liverpool with sarcastic interviews and poor morale. But he's won the Spanish title at a non Madrid/Barca club as well as the Champs League, so you can't really knock his overall record. Possibly a new start is all he needed. Inter Milan wanted him and they're no mugs, so he'd certainly have plenty of contacts.

Moyes - like many, my favourite. Good guy, integrity, eye for a player, great dressing room, real intelligence and potential to get even better. Too much class to leave his Everton post, I'd have thought - but ironically it's that character that makes him such a likeable manager.

Overall, apart from McClaren, everyone on the list above would improve us - and that's coming from someone that actually thinks Houllier would've cracked it if he'd been given time.

A good summing up of the likely candidates. Moyes would be my pick for exactly the reasons you've stated.

Lerner appears to be showing a fair bit of ambition with his candidates. Not one really is a bad manager.. I mean when he's looking at the likes of Moyes, Jol and Ancelotti we now we are getting a good manager at some point.
Great, has Lerner actually gone public with his shortlist?

According to who?

Apparently, he was never on our radar 12 months ago. Listen to interview below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13636404.stm

Exactly mykeyb. It cleraly reeks of a massive smoke screen so we dont get done for tapping Hughes up that the Jouron's are happy to lap up.

Pat Murphy is just another in the long line of journalists who ar p155ing in the wind. They just need to spin this story for as long as possible. Without dismissing Hughes what have they got. Hmm Mark Hughes is going to Villa so that's settled then, damn, oh well better move on to the next factual football story about some non league team putting up a new stand.

Before this cobblers all the ITK's were pointing to MH as a done deal. Then he resigns. Hmm Lerner thinks, Al fayed isn't adverse to a bit of court action better throw up a smoke screen here or the Jacko loving employee botherer will drag us through the courts.