Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

To be fair, if Villa are looking for a loyal manager then:

a) it's going to be one very depleted list

and B) If he's in a job already and leaves to come to us, isn't that being disloyal?

I'm hoping that whole nice guy approach is behind us after last time though, maybe we need to be a little less naive.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we had a dodgy report saying ancelotti was on, and then one paper piece saying it's a definite no, there's going to be plenty more to come.

though i would say, if carlo does want to stay in england - which job is he going to get that will offer him the champs league? he's not getting any of the top 5 jobs unless he kinda trades with redknapp.

if he wants to stay in england we're the best bet at this moment, if he wants to continue living the life of championships etc he'll have to go overseas.

can you get odds on GMAC ? - given that we are still *seem* to be conducting transfer business - ie Bradley - and that Randy was prepared to give the much less experienced Kmac ago last summer - well anything could happen

Neil Moxley in the Mail is also saying Hughes' 'antics' have 'upset' Villa, echoing a couple of other reports. I have no idea if this is true but I cannot understand why our board would be bothered one way or another - he has exercised a right in his contract, a contract that was drawn up and agreed by Fulham. Both parties were clearly aware at the time the contract was signed that there was a provision for Hughes to depart after June 1st if he so desired. I have some sympathy for Fulham supporters given they face a second summer searching for a new manager just like ourselves, but Hughes hasn't done anything wrong here and shouldn't be judged as having done so by Mr. Lerner. If that is actually the case, which I'm highly skeptical of.

Very interesting times.

Yeh i have no idea why Hughes leaving way he did would "upset" our board either . Bizarre report.

Fulham were stupid giving him a one year clause contract in first place - pressumably was done on the cheap incase they went down. They didn't back their manager with enough faith from the off and paid price for it.

Either way Ancelotti seems favourite ...interesting times like you say though

I don't buy any of this loyalty bollocks. Randy has just mutually agreed to, er, stand down Gerard Houllier, a sick man etc. Randy will do what he see's is right for Aston Villa, screw everyone else.

Neil Moxley in the Mail is also saying Hughes' 'antics' have 'upset' Villa, echoing a couple of other reports. I have no idea if this is true but I cannot understand why our board would be bothered one way or another - he has exercised a right in his contract, a contract that was drawn up and agreed by Fulham. Both parties were clearly aware at the time the contract was signed that there was a provision for Hughes to depart after June 1st if he so desired. I have some sympathy for Fulham supporters given they face a second summer searching for a new manager just like ourselves, but Hughes hasn't done anything wrong here and shouldn't be judged as having done so by Mr. Lerner. If that is actually the case, which I'm highly skeptical of.

Very interesting times.

Stop jumping the gun mate...This isnt the reason they dont want Hughes.

They are after bigger fish...No disrespect to Hughes. :winkold:

I agree. And also when was the last time Moxley had a good word to say about our club? He is a negative shit stirrer most of the time.

I feel deflated then as The Telegraph don't usually bullshit

Just ask yourself 'how are they going to know?'

It was The Guardian btw, but they say a source close to Ancelotti, usually means their agent.

Just a guess, but could Hughes be headed back to Blackburn? Steve Kean not exactly been brilliant success and they have ambitious owners. Bring back someone who was pretty popular there, put Kean back as assistant. Their new owners have not been very impressive so far, but they could offer Hughes a big transfer budget which might be enough tempt him away from Fulham.

--

I think the choice of Houllier last time (very much an outside bet at first) shows that we may have a target who no-one is really talking about yet. Club has shown enough times that it can do things quietly - see Bent transfer. Ancelotti might be red herring, but that isn't to say that we haven't got an interesting target.

@MatKendrick

@EddWalsh wish people would read the words. If I say Villa interested in Carlo, doesn't mean he's definitely coming. Just that he's a target

Mat Kendrick said in an earlier tweet that there were other targets. I tweeted him and asked him for names......no reply.

Perhaps not the most surprising news.

Very interesting times.

Stop jumping the gun mate...This isnt the reason they dont want Hughes.

They are after bigger fish...No disrespect to Hughes. :winkold:

I agree. And also when was the last time Moxley had a good word to say about our club? He is a negative shit stirrer most of the time.

Isn't Moxley another of MON's big fans so he will never have a good word to say about Villa these days.

I believe MH has burnt his bridges with Randy by leaving. Randy likes to do things the right way and ask for permission to speak to another clubs Manager. If he would have been able to do this maybe it would have left MH available to start work straight away. However by leaving he cannot do anything until 30th June which leaves no time for him to convince players their future lies at Villa Park. Maybe Randy was in talking with Fulham about getting MH when he suddenly leaves, leaving Randy looking foolish.

This reminds of Ellis back in mid eighties. He sacked Barton for finishing 10th - then all summer we had manager after manager turn us down. and after much persuasion we poached the shrewsbury town manager ! (and he was a disaster)

The press are driving this - I reckon tomorrow we will be linked with Harry Redknap and Owen Coyle.

I really fear benitez I couldn't bear being shafted over by another scouser !

lol just imagine if we announce G Mac as our manager tommorow, all hell would break loose

I Think that there would be a riot outside Villa Park.

The coaching staff needs totally replacing at 1st team level.

We are not going to go from MON to Houllier to Hughes..

Deschamps remains a very good bet at (i think) 40/1.. I got 80/1 but thet was before the Houllier departure became official..

You have to take in consideration that Duverne is still an employee at the club..And an Excellent employee at that...Did anyone on this site have any complaints with the Villa fitness towards the end of this season? I think we can ALL say even Petrov looked a new player fitness wise.. This employee will not be shown the door as lightly as some seem to think.. Deschamps has worked with Duverne in the past, they are well aquainted in the football world. It would be a smoothe appointment and in line with "some" of the work Houllier has started.