Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mirror saying he said no to us.

Anyone think its possible GH gave Paul and Randy I few names to look up?!

GHs exit statement was bursting with undercurrents of him being pissed off about his departure.

Hughes going to, potentially, Spurs? I would have thought that would be a more attractive option for Carlo Ancelotti if Redknob goes to Chelsea. Like others have stated though, I canot believe that Mark Hughes would quit without having something lined up, unless he's got a very high opinion of himself and fancies a ride on the manager merry-go-round, thinking he's bound to end up, somewhere and be good enough of a manager to take this sort of risk. I still think he's Villa bound though.

I'm gonna put some money on Ancelotti if the lay odds drop below 3 on Betfair.

If he doesn't become the manager, free money. If he does become the manager, I wouldn't care about the money. Win-Win situation imo.

Villa say they have an open mind about filling their vacancy. Speculation that Carlo Ancelotti is among their leading candidates is wide of the mark, however. The former Chelsea manager has not received any contact from Villa and he is known to have no interest in the position. Ancelotti, according to sources close to the Italian, is holding out for a club that can offer Champions League football. Roberto Martínez, the Wigan Athletic manager, has, however, emerged as an outsider for the Villa post.

This is from the guardian - and if you read the full article it makes depressing reading - basically the ways Hughes left Fulham has turned villa totally off hughes - ok if you didn't want him fair enough - but this may indicate that villa are still on the moral no poaching kick. - which is Feckin ridiculous - in 48 hours we have turned a highly desirable job into one that people are lining up to decline

Moyes

Ancellotti

to me Hughes was the safe bet - if the board have cast him aside for Rafa or Mclaren heaven help us

Surely you are not believing anything a paper tells you?

What I want to know is:

How can Kevin MacDonald and Alan Curbishley get onto the shortlist and be interviewed last time around

But Mark Hughes can't even get onto the shortlist this summer?

Mark Hughes is clearly better than Kevin Mac and Curbs

If it's true that we're not interested in Hughes, then it's very dissapointing news.

It seems Lerner is not happy with him quitting Fulham as it shows the a lack of loyalty.

this is **** stupid - last august we wouldn't poach a manager from another club - no we won't recruit anyone who resigns ? - WTF ?

What I want to know is:

How can Kevin MacDonald and Alan Curbishley get onto the shortlist and be interviewed last time around

But Mark Hughes can't even get onto the shortlist this summer?

Mark Hughes is clearly better than Kevin Mac and Curbs

If it's true that we're not interested in Hughes, then it's very dissapointing news.

It seems Lerner is not happy with him quitting Fulham as it shows the a lack of loyalty.

Come on Randy.

He's basically put his neck on the line in the hope that we appoint him.

If anything, it shows how much he wants the Villa job.

This should be a positive mark for Hughes not a negative one.

Neil Moxley in the Mail is also saying Hughes' 'antics' have 'upset' Villa, echoing a couple of other reports. I have no idea if this is true but I cannot understand why our board would be bothered one way or another - he has exercised a right in his contract, a contract that was drawn up and agreed by Fulham. Both parties were clearly aware at the time the contract was signed that there was a provision for Hughes to depart after June 1st if he so desired. I have some sympathy for Fulham supporters given they face a second summer searching for a new manager just like ourselves, but Hughes hasn't done anything wrong here and shouldn't be judged as having done so by Mr. Lerner. If that is actually the case, which I'm highly skeptical of.

Very interesting times.

Hughes will not have left Fulham for nothing whether it be Villa or any other job.

I also don't think Villa said they were not interested they merely said that they had not approached him. Maybe Hughes feels that by resigning he is opening the door for Villa?

We will soon find out.

Its also not clear whether Ancelotti has said no. All we have is a dodgy newspaper report to go on seemingly. If he wants to stay in England and manage a side playing in the Champions League he has a problem.

Neil Moxley in the Mail is also saying Hughes' 'antics' have 'upset' Villa, echoing a couple of other reports. I have no idea if this is true but I cannot understand why our board would be bothered one way or another - he has exercised a right in his contract, a contract that was drawn up and agreed by Fulham. Both parties were clearly aware at the time the contract was signed that there was a provision for Hughes to depart after June 1st if he so desired. I have some sympathy for Fulham supporters given they face a second summer searching for a new manager just like ourselves, but Hughes hasn't done anything wrong here and shouldn't be judged as having done so by Mr. Lerner. If that is actually the case, which I'm highly skeptical of.

Very interesting times.

Exactly.

I think this is a bit over the top for Villa to hold this against Hughes.

He didn't even "resign" as such, just opted to exercise the exit clause which was in his contract.

Very interesting times.

Stop jumping the gun mate...This isnt the reason they dont want Hughes.

They are after bigger fish...No disrespect to Hughes. :winkold: