Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a sport journalist for a well known organisation I can confirm I have no idea who our manager will be.

But I do know that the best person to listen to is Pat Murphy, he is always right and as that is the case for now we can rule out Hughes. He is suggesting Moyes could be under consideration despite being under contract but also admits he has no clue who the number one target is as the club won't tell him. No second guessing from Murphy, just hard facts.

http://bbc.in/m0tb0S

Also big credit must go to Mat Kendrick, he is definitely another one to keep an eye on.

The rest are all just speculating.

Anyway for the record, Moyes or Ancelotti and I'm happy!

Will update you with my professional opinion on media speculation as it happens.

Are you Phil McNulty?

What was interesting in the BBC interview with Pat Murphy - who apparently is a Villa fan I read today -

is that he said Mark Hughes is NOT the club's No 1 target, but they steadfastly refuse to say who that is.

Hmmmm maybe it's Ancelotti or maybe he's just a smokescreen for David Moyes.

In otherwords I really haven't got a clue!

Am I the only one who doesn't think that an Ancelotti appointment doesn't mean great deal at the moment. He had money and an already decent team at Chelsea so couldn't do much but look successful. even Avram Grant was a post away from winning the Champions League. Can Ancelotti do it at a club like Villa? Where he can't sign just anyone? he's as untested as a Paul Lambert on this regard and for that reason I'd be fairly sceptical if he were appointed.

I can understand the skepticism, Chelsea's decline was pretty evident but it's no secret that Abramovich gets far too involved with the football side of things so I would actually think Ancelotti would benefit from having someone like Randy who would let him get on with the job for the most part. I think it could work, especially if he brought Ray Wilkins with him, I think that is a major draw for most of us wanting Ancelotti, doesn't mean Wilkins would come if we even got Ancelotti though I guess.

As for astonvillalife on twitter, it says he is a tech advisor for acorns so he could well have contacts in the form of players or people who work behind the scenes at the club.

First thing I am going to buy when the new season starts if Ancelotti is our manger, is a Villa shirt and a merchandise eyebrow, just to show my full support for him! If you cant purchase them, I will make and sell them myself. Imagine we can all wear them in the ground!

Can someone sum up the last few hours? I've been out and there has been 30 odd pages since!

If Ancelotti is appointed, Kleenex shares in Birmingham will sky rocket over night :D:D

Genuinely? Well if we're really honest it can be summed up as this:

Nothing has happened at Villa. People suggest x and y. Nothing has happened at Villa. People suggest we're doing this and that. Hughes resigns at Fulham. People assume this and that. Nothing happens at Villa. People decide Hughes isn't now coming. Nothing happens at Villa. We all press F5 on the computer 20 times a minute.... nothing happens at Villa!

Can someone sum up the last few hours? I've been out and there has been 30 odd pages since!

Bham Mail say that Ancelloti will be next Villa manager.

Hughes quits Fulham - everyone thinks he's next Villa manager.

Villa says they aren't after Hughes.

Sky Italia say that Ancellotti will be next Villa manager.

Villatalk has no idea, but speculate madly.

First thing I am going to buy when the new season starts if Ancelotti is our manger, is a Villa shirt and a merchandise eyebrow, just to show my full support for him! If you cant purchase them, I will make and sell them myself. Imagine we can all wear them in the ground!

Aren't you supposedly slightly ITK? Heard anything from your sources? ;)

According to unreliable sources on twitter,Hughes is not in the frame and Ancelotti has turned us down!

Are you Phil McNulty?

While the erstwhile BBC Chief Sports writer will doubtless be keen to speculate as to the identity of the man many feel will be taking the hot seat at Aston Villa, he may come to have felt that inadvertently exposing his identity on a fans' web forum will come to have been seen as an ill-advised professional misstep. One thing is certain: if Carlo Ancelotti does take the reins at the Midlands club, the Villa hierarchy will doubtlessly hope that the Italian will bring them the success they will surely hope for.

[continues for 2000 words]

If Ancelotti is appointed, Kleenex shares in Birmingham will sky rocket over night :D:D

Genuinely? Well if we're really honest it can be summed up as this:

Nothing has happened at Villa. People suggest x and y. Nothing has happened at Villa. People suggest we're doing this and that. Hughes resigns at Fulham. People assume this and that. Nothing happens at Villa. People decide Hughes isn't now coming. Nothing happens at Villa. We all press F5 on the computer 20 times a minute.... nothing happens at Villa!

Soudns about right, we've worked ourselves up into a right old frenzy and basically over nothing as nobody really knows **** all it would seem.

Dunno why we do it to ourselves must be mad. If it all goes wrong 2ndly I will blame the journos and firstly I will blame myself for buying into anything they said.

I guess this is blind optimism taking over any rational thinking.

....Hope we get Ancelotti anyway :D

Aren't you supposedly slightly ITK? Heard anything from your sources? ;)

Naaa, had no contact this week!

Am I the only one who doesn't think that an Ancelotti appointment doesn't mean great deal at the moment. He had money and an already decent team at Chelsea so couldn't do much but look successful. even Avram Grant was a post away from winning the Champions League. Can Ancelotti do it at a club like Villa? Where he can't sign just anyone? he's as untested as a Paul Lambert on this regard and for that reason I'd be fairly sceptical if he were appointed.

i'd rather have Hughes than Ancelotti.

i just think Hughes would be a better fit for us and could build a good team, whereas Ancelotti would struggle without major money.

plus i struggle to spell his name :evil:

why would Hughes resign today though ?

1.He has been told off the record that the villa job is his should he wish to apply

2.He was pissed off with Fulham - and the timing of his resignation is just coincidence

3.He knows another vacancy will occur - possibly as a result of villa recruiting a manager at another club.

Only 1 makes any sense to me.

So long as it is not Mclaren or Rafa thats ok by me

Are you Phil McNulty?

While the erstwhile BBC Chief Sports writer will doubtless be keen to speculate as to the identity of the man many feel will be taking the hot seat at Aston Villa, he may come to have felt that inadvertently exposing his identity on a fans' web forum will come to have been seen as an ill-advised professional misstep. One thing is certain: if Carlo Ancelotti does take the reins at the Midlands club, the Villa hierarchy will doubtlessly hope that the Italian will bring them the success they will surely hope for.

[continues for 2000 words]

Oh. Cheers PhilMac. I like your journalism.