Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reports about Ancelotti not wanting it sound a bit odd to me, it says we haven't even been in contact, i really don't see us not even being in contact about it.

Was blatant to anyone even half sane that Ancelotti was talking patronising crap about West Ham etc.

If we have seriously tried/trying to get him we'd have to offer him a lot and a warchest in transfer money.

Hes won 2 champs league , the Premiership , FA cup , serie a etc - hes a manager a calibre and would take a hell of lot of convicning to manage a side outside of champs league. As would be risk to his own reputation.

Was blatant to anyone even half sane that Ancelotti was talking patronising crap about West Ham etc.

If we have seriously tried/trying to get him we'd have to offer him a lot and a warchest in transfer money.

Hes won 2 champs league , the Premiership , FA cup , serie a etc - hes a manager a calibre and would take a hell of lot of convicning to manage a side outside of champs league. As would be risk to his own reputation.

You nailed it if you ask me. His reputation is the main thing he will worry about IMO. And to avoid that from happening he will want a serious war chest of cash.

Exactly.

I tell you, this place will be rocking if we persuaded him. Season ticket sales will go through the roof, so any warchest handed to him, Randy may just get back :winkold:

One thing is for sure. Last year everyone said "this is the first really test of randy as chairman to get the right man in." this time I think it's even bigger. He got it wrong last time. He must mean business this time.

"I would coach West Ham - why not? It's a challenge to manage a team in the Championship.

"The atmosphere at West Ham is amazing. It doesn't matter if you manage a top team or a smaller team.

"It's more important to work. I was happy to train in the second division when I was learning."

vs

The former Chelsea manager is known to have no interest in the position. Ancelotti, according to sources close to the Italian, is holding out for a club that can offer Champions League football.

Something doesn't quite add up there.

He's had form for having a laugh and a joke at a press conference before (though not on Mourinho levels). It's always hard to know if he was being serious or not if you don't see his facial expressions and so forth, and just go by what's in print.

There are so many wanky West Ham obsessed journo's down that way that it's not completely out of the question one of them (rather ambitiously) asked whether he'd consider West Ham.

One thing is for sure. Last year everyone said "this is the first really test of randy as chairman to get the right man in." this time I think it's even bigger. He got it wrong last time. He must mean business this time.

I agree.

The other thing is, not one of us would of thought that we would go out and spunk 24 million on a player in January, so Ancelotti arriving??

I would not rule it out 8)

Randy please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please get ancelotti. Thanks.

I think Randy's reputation is also on the line a little. He HAS to get it right this time!

Patronising? The man is as humble as managers get. Sure his comments were flippant and I don't think anybody was taking him fully seriousl. That said I still think there is truth in the fact he would like to stay in this country and I don't think he would be holding out for champions league only.

As to risking his reputation, MON was hailed as the second coming of christ for getting a 'mediocre' club 6th place finishes, how much worse could he do in honesty.

Nonsense. Houllier did not work out for a long list of reasons. But that does not mean he was a wrong choice. You can't judge a bad choice by criticism in VT... Every name suggested gets criticized be some group of posters here.

Houllier had a good reputation, a good track record, the ability to draw some talented players. Results did not match the promise. But to blame that on RL is, IMO, nonsense.

Sometimes good decisions don't work out. My friend built a new home. It was beautiful until the tornado. RL did not "get it wrong last time." I'm not defending our results, but RL doesn't deserve the blame.

It seems possible that RL is considering the cost of paying off Everton vs handing Carlo a juicy wage. Seeing as Ancelotti's on a Bosman (if you like), he might not cost all that much more than Moyes to bring in. Really hope it's one of those two, otherwise Jol i guess or maybe Deschamps. Nobody else.