Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive looked at mclarens career record and it still hasnt convinced me at all he should be our manager. he got middlesbough to a high of 7th 1 season, apart from that bottom half of the table.won the league cup and beat bolton. not a very hard challenge.poor

Also got them to the uefa cup final.

I think his job at Boro was better than poor, but didn't pull up trees.

It's a no from me, simply because I'd have greater confidence in what I perceive to be better candidates elsewhere.

ive looked at mclarens career record and it still hasnt convinced me at all he should be our manager. he got middlesbough to a high of 7th 1 season, apart from that bottom half of the table.won the league cup and beat bolton. not a very hard challenge.poor

Also got them to the uefa cup final.

I think his job at Boro was better than poor, but didn't pull up trees.

It's a no from me, simply because I'd have greater confidence in what I perceive to be better candidates elsewhere.

well he finished 14th in the league when he got into the uefa final though. would you be happy with a bottom half finish and uefa final but not winning it

Ancelotti now 5th favourite with SkyBet and other bookmakers

Mark Hughes 2/1

Steve McClaren 5/2

Roberto Martinez 4/1

Rafa Benitez 5/1

Carlo Ancelotti 5/1

David Moyes 10/1

Martin Jol 10/1

If Ancelotti and Moyes dont want it and Hughes goes to Chelsea then what can Lerner really do he picks from a bad list but he has no really choice if his top targets reject us.

If that is the case that managers are turning us down it shows we are not a big club anymore.

Not liking these odds one bit! Either theres real substance to why McClaren odds have dropped or some stupid gamblers have got more money than sense and backing the clown......

Mark Hughes 2/1

Steve McClaren 5/2

Roberto Martinez 4/1

Rafa Benitez 5/1

Carlo Ancelotti 5/1

David Moyes 10/1

Martin Jol 10/1

Gary McAllister 20/1

Kevin Macdonald 25/1

Walter Smith 25/1

Alan Curbishley 25/1

Louis Van Gaal 28/1

Steve Bruce 28/1

Slaven Bilic 33/1

Gianfranco Zola 33/1

Frank Rijkaard 33/1

Jurgen Klinnsmann 33/1

It is upto the Board to attract a very good manager that captures the imagination of the Players & supporters.

But if we get turned down by the managers the board want and other targets go to other clubs then it sort of forces their hand to get someone in,

People seem to think we can get anyone we want, if they don't to be our manager what can the board do.

It is upto the Board to attract a very good manager that captures the imagination of the Players & supporters.

Agree, and disagree. It's the boards job to appoint a man they believe fits in whatever plan they have for the future of Aston Villa. It's not their job to win a popularity contest.

When we appointed Grgeory nobody was expecting it, but he did a pretty decent job didn't he ?. In fact considering his lack of managerial experience he did a pretty amazing job.

The problem now is some people care more about what the media or other people think of the manager than they do about how well he can do the job.

I've sort of warmed to the idea of Martinez. He seems to have a good football philosophy and seems the kind of man manager players like too

McClaren would be financial suicide to the club in terms of season tickets sales etc. Plus he would have to hit the ground at an absolute sprint for the fans not to be on his back early doors. I suspect and hope the Board know this.

He actually is on 'ok' manager, pretty much a Curbishley for the modern generation, but I certainly do not want him as manager of Villa.

can someone break down the mcclaren hatred for me? what's he done in english club management that makes him such a terrible choice?

he did a great job at boro, then went and won the league in a country usually dominated by a couple of a clubs with a team who'd never won it before. things didnt work out at wolfsburg, but they were in the process of being completely asset stripped when he arrived

McClaren - good coach but shit manager imo

in fairness to him probably will return to Prem one day and do a decent job for whoever he ends up at.

BUT ...i wouldn't want us to give him that opportunity. Fans would be on his back from the start and would make things pretty much impossible and after last season its really not what we need.

They'd be a riot i think if he was appointed here.

If Ancelotti wouldn't come I'd be pretty open to Martinez. He'd be a good candidate for continuing to build the passing revolution at Villa Park that Houllier started. Once you've improved the players' technique and got them used to passing and moving it would be nicely set up for someone like Martinez to take them further.