Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

just read martin jol's career stats and he looks impressive. has good win percentages, has the international experience, pl expierence , bought some quality players while he was there berbatov, lennon, bent, bale. so why are we no that interested on him on viila talk????

Still my first choice as he is a few others. I think he would fit us perfectly.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just read martin jol's career stats and he looks impressive. has good win percentages, has the international experience, pl expierence , bought some quality players while he was there berbatov, lennon, bent, bale. so why are we no that interested on him on viila talk????

Still my first choice as he is a few others. I think he would fit us perfectly.

yep, he's my first choice as well.

John Terry would welcome the reappointment of Guus Hiddink as Chelsea manager and believes the Dutchman's return to the club would provide some much-needed stability.

So what does that say about Ancellotti!

Is he implying that Ancellotti wasn't bonding the players just as Gh has been accused of.

Its simple.

Their megomaniac purchased a dud spaniard for ridiculous money, and which upset players like Drogba, behind his managers back.

The Manager of course HAS to be blamed for that, since the megomaniac is a sane, level headed person, that has nothing to do with the russsian mafia, and is a really nice chap.......apparently :winkold:

Don't think Jol did much of the player recruitment at Spurs. Damian Comolli was mostly in charge of signings there (as he is at Liverpool now).

Jol's a good manager though. I think he'd be a choice most would get behind, far less divisive than someone like Benitez.

One surprising thing to bear in mind though: when managing Ajax, Jol was beaten to the title by Steve McClaren's Twente :shock:

From the mail:

RANDY Lerner will not rush a managerial appointment and it is likely to be at least another week and most probably longer before Gerard Houllier’s successor is unveiled.

Villa are patently aware of the need for a rapid resolution to their search for a new boss and are likely to adopt a speedier recruitment process than they did last summer.

But the time-frame is fluid and much will depend on whether the claret and blues ultimately settle upon an out-of-work boss or one who is currently contracted to another club.

Of the free agents in the running, Villa are continuing their bold pursuit of former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti, while Martin Jol also figures prominently in their thinking.

Contrary to suggestions that Ancelotti has already turned Villa down, the Italian will be given the weekend to mull over their approach before responding early next week.

Jol is highly thought of by Lerner and only the fact he was under contract to Ajax prevented the owner from making a serious play for the former Spurs boss last August.

Former Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren has tried to banish his ‘Wally with a Brolly’ reputation from his failed England spell spending time overseas in Holland and Germany.

Although, after his impressive achievements at FC Twente and less encouraging spell at Wolfsburg, the Villa hierarchy are aware McClaren is still unpopular with some supporters.

Rafa Benitez has privately indicated his interest in the Villa vacancy and wants a Premier League return with his family settled in England following his time with Liverpool.

However, Benitez’s demands for total autonomy are Martin O’Neill-esque while, after Houllier, Villa are also wary of appointing boss with strong Anfield connections.

Robert Martinez’s place among the Villa contenders has prompted Wigan owner Dave Whelan to start preparing a bumper new contract to stave off interest in the 37-year-old.

Whelan would still be able to demand compensation for the Spaniard, who has a year left of his current deal, but the Latics chairman is keen to tie him to longer terms.

Villa hope to make an appointment by mid-June at the latest by sticking to a tighter schedule than last year when almost six weeks passed between O’Neill leaving and Houllier starting.

Ideally, it will be more straightforward than back then when they spoke to Sven Goran Eriksson, Alan Curbishley and Kevin MacDonald at length before deciding on Houllier.

This time, providing everything runs smoothly, Villa will hold a thorough interview with their prime candidate and only if there is a snag will they speak to anybody else in detail.

Meanwhile, Houllier has revealed Villa blocked his plans to resume work on a part time basis until he was fit enough to return fully in late August/early September.

The departed boss suggested easing himself back in and delegating some duties to coaches Gary McAllister and Gordon Cowans, but Villa were worried about another early season period of turmoil like last year if he was subsequently unable to come back.

“I almost died,” said Houllier. “The doctors advised me to not resume before late in August or early in September. So it was a problem.

“The officials were also scared my comeback could be postponed again at that time. I can understand that. The risk exists.

“They are still traumatised with what happened last year, when Martin O’Neill left five days before the start of the season. So they didn’t want such a possibility to happen again.”

Click

I think that's probably the most balanced analysis of our probable position I have seen recently.

Seemingly Ancelotti is the man they want and I applaud the club for aiming high. The only really worrying name mentioned is McLaren who would be a total no no with supporters. Personally I don't think he is anywhere near the job if for no other reason than there are better and more high profile candidates around.

If not Ancelotti Jol would be a good shout, Benitez has the right sort of CV but I'm not convinced. I also quite like the idea of Martinez, a good young manager who could really build something at the club.

As for the two obvious names not mentioned in the article Hughes would be a decent appointment and he is clearly in the market now. I am rapidly cooling on Moyes. By any measure he has taken Everton as far as he can and it seems it will be another summer of wheeling and dealing on a shoestring probably involving selling a prized asset. Where is his ambition? Not necessarily with us but generally.

I see Hughes and Moyes as being very similar but Hughes had the courage of his convictions to put himself in the market and I quite like that.

how how how does mclaren get talked up for jobs in the press???

he must have some serious friends :huh:

I think the press know how disliked he is and band his name around merely to cause alarm. No team wants to be linked with him and yet every team gets linked to him by the press as they know it strikes fear into the fans.

What's the latest odds?

Oddschecker tells you everything.

The odds on McLaren worry me.

The odds here will telll you nothing. At this stage during our last managerial hunt Houlier was 66/1 - same as Mourinho is now. (and No, I am not saying we will get Mourinho)

I still don't think we should discount Moyes. I think this has a long way to go, but a lot of news will be flying around all next week to keep us fans excited. I still think regardless of media speculation that Moyes is very much in Randy's top two of listed targets.

Just a hunch. His odd's have moved to 6-1 with skybet.

But I agree McClaren's odds worry me. But, I don't think we have anything to worry about. Randy isn't that foolish unless the stories that he and McClaren are friends are true.......It may be that, McClaren has still close contacts in Holland and Randy occassionally likes to smoke....DA REEFA!! LOL

Gus Poyet was with Paul Faulkner in Hams Hall at 12.30 yesterday afternoon he was with 3 over suited and booted guys.... Anybody think he will have an assistant manger role ????

How do you know that? Did you witness it?

I've been told that Faulkner is Poyets cousin...Just a family lunch I believe.