Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

I can't see it being McLaren, replacing an unpopular manager with possibly the most unpopular managerial appoinment possible (bar appointing Trevor Francis) is hardly going to help sell season tickets or keep our best players. If Randy appoints that clown I'll find a new sport to follow.

Should we start a McLaren Out thread just in case?

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palacios is the only real notable departure there.

And Heskey tbh, Heskey did well for Wigan

I believe he scored 3 league goals in his final season.

I think we all know that when we say Heskey did well it isn't to do with his goalscoring.

And Heskey tbh, Heskey did well for Wigan

I believe he scored 3 league goals in his final season.

I think we all know that when we say Heskey did well it isn't to do with his goalscoring.

Either way, it isn't a completely different squad which was the original point I was disputing.

Secret Squirrel, GH if he hadn't been ill, would have come good next season. He was managing to sort the crap out and move players on. His ability to bring good players in this summer would have seen Villa up in the top six without doubt, next season. GH managed to get the players to pass the ball to each other, instead of aimlessly kicking the ball out. I think many Villa fans were too impatient and should be ashamed of the way they treated GH.

Unfortunately he became ill. I will always thank GH for having to come in and try and sort things out for Lerner after MON threw his dummy out, without having the luxury of a summer transfer window. Injuries, Player power and rubbish players (bought before he became manager), caused our problems last season, after MON dropped us in the fertiliser.

It's those two 16th place finishes at Wigan, his first two seasons as a Premier League manager, at a small club. And from what I've seen he wants to play attacking and entertaining football. He is a promising young manager in my eyes.

Fair enough I guess but don't forget Wigan finished 11th the summer he arrived.

IIRC with completely different squad?

No not really.

January 2009 Transfers

In:

Ben Watson (£2m, Crystal Palace)

Charles N´Zogbia (£6m, Newcastle)

Ahmed Abdelhamid Hossam (loan, Middlesbrough)

Out:

Lewis Montrose (loan, Cheltenham)

Luke Ashworth (free, Leyton Orient)

Kevin Daniel Kilbane (undisclosed, Hull)

Wilson Roberto Palacios Suazo (£12m, Tottenham)

Emile William Ivanhoe Heskey (£3.5m, Aston Villa)

Ryan Taylor (undisclosed, Newcastle)

I'm obsesssed.

According to wikipedia (because I didn't know 8) ):

His (Martinez) first league game as Wigan manager was an away fixture against Aston Villa on 15 August 2009. Wigan won the match 2–0. :!:

Played in 2008/09 (Bruce) and not 2009/10 (Martinez):

OUT:

Palacios

Heskey

Kilbane

Valencia

Cattermole

Mido

Brown

Zaki

de Ridder

Routledge !

Completely different team IMO.

Martinez is a weak shout IMO.

Not experienced enough yet and despite Wigan always playing well against us they can be **** awful also.

This idea he has them playing free flowing great attacking football is bollocks to certain extent.

Hes done well to keep them up and is a likeable bloke who may well go onto bigger things but would be far too much of gamble for us now.

And i get the distinct impression our players would walk all over him.

I think a good point was made about Benitez earlier on....all his recent clubs have demanded instant success so he hasn't had time/chance to rebuild from top to bottom. I believe the last time he did this was at Valencia when he won La Liga...if he was given a 4/5 year contract with us, I'm certain he would have us pushing the top 4...

I think a good point was made about Benitez earlier on....all his recent clubs have demanded instant success so he hasn't had time/chance to rebuild from top to bottom. I believe the last time he did this was at Valencia when he won La Liga...if he was given a 4/5 year contract with us, I'm certain he would have us pushing the top 4...

Benitez was given plenty of time at Liverpool wasn't he?

And in the end left an arguably worse squad than he inherited from Houllier.

The ammount of players he got through was also quite remarkable.

No denying he has pedigree (champs league win etc) but he seems to have lost the plot past few years and even alienated the likes of Gerrard in the end.

The Inter job was always going to be hard and difficult after Mourinho but he made some really awful decisions - did you see the games against Spurs ?

Also his hardon for Liverpool would be irritating.

I think he'd be another bad fit for us.

Back to the Graham Taylor thing, I can remember reading somewhere that he reccomended Kevin Macdonald to take the managerial post, with an experienced Director of Football involved. Can't remember if that was idle ITK talk or a report from Matt Kendrick..

I got a lot of grief for my last ITK (Houllier not fit to return until October)

Anyway its a bloke who claims to know Gordon Cowans wife

Basically although lerner owns the club - he isn't the type to rail road his choice through - other board members will have some input. There isn't consensus on the two front runners Ancelotti \ Hughes - but there is on Moyes/Jol.

His thoughts (like mine) that faulkner would find hughes to abrasive - whilst Randy wouldn't throw silly money at Ancellotti.

Also reckons Benitez is a non starter.