General Chat

maqroll

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it true Harry Redknapp was in a car crash, hence the melted candle face?

He was certainly in a car crash in 1990 and badly injured. He appears to have always been a fairly grim looking chap though so the face he currently sports may just be age and gravity.

Harry Kewell, Australia's favourite over-rated, over-the-hill, injury-prone footballer, has demanded a percentage of gate-revenues at away games as part of deal to bring him back to Oz to play in the A-league!

In other words, opposition teams would have to pay Kewell if he took part in games against them :shock: :lol:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04072011/58/hyundai-league-kewell-demands-scupper-return-oz.html

Tosser.

Is it true most Aussies dont like Kewell? From what i heard he is a bit of a hate figure for Aussies

Don't know. I always get the impression he was well liked, part of their own "golden generation" along with Viduka and... umm... some others. Certainly not a hate figure as far as I know, and I've seen some of my fellow oz-based VTers defend him when I've given him stick on here before.

Aussies generally reserve their hatred for Brits in my experience. And cricketers and Aussie rules players have a way bigger profile here than the footballers. Although for a while you'd see Harry's near naked image everywhere as he had a big underwear advertising endorsement!

i remember my friend in OZ said they didnt like them down there is where i heard it.

though i said this to an Aussie girl one night and got pissed off and kicked me out of an apartment

Harry Kewell is not well liked in Aus because he does come across as selfish and arrogant.

And we did have a "golden generation" by Australian standards.

The squad we sent to Germany 2006 with Kewell, Viduka, Cahill, Schwartzer, Lucus Neil, Marco Bresciano, Bret Emerton and Craig Moore all in their prime was about as good as it will get for Australian football for quite a while.

They beat a strong Uruguay side over two legs to get there and put in a good showing in the WC itself only going out to winners Italy with a last min dive from Grosso winning the decisive penalty.

The squad we sent to Germany 2006 with Kewell, Viduka, Cahill, Schwartzer, Lucus Neil, Marco Bresciano, Bret Emerton and Craig Moore all in their prime was about as good as it will get for Australian football for quite a while.

agree it was a very good Australia team except maybe Craig Moore never liked him. That game vs Croatia was a cracker

FIFA now apparently looking at the option of playing matches at the Qatar world cup in 30 minute "thirds", rather than 45 minute halves, cos of the heat.

wtf.gif

FIFA now apparently looking at the option of playing matches at the Qatar world cup in 30 minute "thirds", rather than 45 minute halves, cos of the heat.

wtf.gif

I saw it too, I assume you are referencing this article?

Fifa could allow matches at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to be played over three 30-minute periods if temperatures in the stadiums became dangerously high for the players.

Michael Beavon, a director of Arup Associates who helped to develop the zero-carbon solar technology that will cool the 12 stadiums, told delegates at the Qatar Infrastructure Conference in London that the air-cooling would maintain a comfortable temperature of around 24 degrees Celsius in the stadiums.

"There is a moderate risk of heat injury to the players between 24C-29C but if you go above that you have high and extreme risk of injury. The one thing Fifa do say, although it is for guidance, is if it's 32C they will stop a match and play three 30-minute thirds rather than two 45-minute halves.

"The reason would be to re-hydrate the players before they could carry on playing. That of course would play havoc with TV schedules and those kind of things. The commitment from Qatar was to provide conditions in the moderate band, so that matches would go ahead and be played as normal. Matches have to be played at an acceptable temperature and in safety so that Fifa do not intervene."

However a Fifa spokesperson told Reuters that such a drastic change to the way the game is not something that was on the governing body's agenda. "This possibility has not been discussed," the spokesperson said. "In any case, this would require a change in the Laws of the Game, and therefore would have to be analysed and approved by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in the first place."

I do like how they are trying to spin that the TV companies would not like football to be in a format which would allow them an extra commercial break. :crylaugh:

I cant see it happening though. I am convinced that FIFA just puts out all kinds of crazy rumours to gauge public reaction, most people arent happy about Qatar getting the world cup anyway (though I still think that will change when everybody in Europe realises that the time difference in Qatar suits our TV habits the best, **** getting up at 5am to watch a World Cup played in Australia) but a change to one of the fundamental rules of the game will be unthinkable.

Luckily for us 50% of IFAB is from the UK, and its probably the main reason why the UK holds so much power and has so many enemies in world football. IFAB will close this idea down in a heartbeat though.

I cant see it happening though. I am convinced that FIFA just puts out all kinds of crazy rumours to gauge public reaction, most people arent happy about Qatar getting the world cup anyway (though I still think that will change when everybody in Europe realises that the time difference in Qatar suits our TV habits the best, **** getting up at 5am to watch a World Cup played in Australia) but a change to one of the fundamental rules of the game will be unthinkable.

Luckily for us 50% of IFAB is from the UK, and its probably the main reason why the UK holds so much power and has so many enemies in world football. IFAB will close this idea down in a heartbeat though.

Seriously, though, would FIFA actually have to go to the step of formally amending the Laws of the Game? Day of the game comes and the suggestion is made to the referee that he blow the whistle at 30 minutes for a break and he does. The position of FIFA and IFAB has been fairly consistent that even if the referee gets a Law fairly comprehensively wrong there's not much that can be done this side of an apology. Would there be grounds for appeal to invalidate the game (and who would hear the appeal?)?

• 2 weeks later...