dudevillaisnice

4 hours ago, PaulC said:

Benteke has a better touch granted, in early every other aspect Lukaku wins. Maybe equal at heading. 

I think all Lukaku has on him is speed tbh

First touch - Benteke

Hold up play - Benteke

Heading - Benteke

Physicality - Tossup

Finishing - Benteke

Vision/passing - Benteke

Pace - Lukaku

• Like 2

Is anyone else feeling devastated that both Spurs and Everton are now light years ahead of us. I mean, I understood being overtaken as a club by Chelsea in the 90s and Man City more recently but bloody hell...I never thought we would be that far behind Everton.

We really are a disaster and even Newcastle are in a league above us now. 

It's so sad to see the calibre of players that Everton are now signing (Rooney, Klaasen) whilst we prepare for a 2nd season in the Championship.

Fair play to them but I personally find it distressing to see them and particularly Spurs doing so well. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Is anyone else feeling devastated that both Spurs and Everton are now light years ahead of us. I mean, I understood being overtaken as a club by Chelsea in the 90s and Man City more recently but bloody hell...I never thought we would be that far behind Everton.

It's so sad to see the calibre of players that Everton are now signing (Rooney, Klaasen) whilst we prepare for a 2nd season in the Championship.

Fair play to them but I personally find it distressing to see them and particularly Spurs doing so well. 

Everton are a massive club and so are Spurs. Is the gap really that big between us and Everton? I don't think it is. All it will take is to go up next season and if tony is true to his word, then assemble a good team and we could be pushing for Europe again in a few seasons. It's all ifs and buts I know, but fair play to Everton. They did well to keep with us under MON when we were spending big.

19 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Everton are a massive club and so are Spurs. Is the gap really that big between us and Everton? I don't think it is. 

The gap is massive. 

We are at least 4 years behind them, but realistically could be 6-10 years before we are on an equal footing with them.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, villa89 said:

I'm 30+ and I reckon I could take Rooney in any fitness test. I'm not a fitness fanatic or anything but Rooney just looks like a someone who eats/drinks the wrong things and doesn't understand what is required from a professional athlete. His body shape doesn't strike me as someone who is going to last 90 minutes.

Ronaldo is older than Rooney.

You wouldn't believe it would you. You can tell which one trains the hardest and doesn't drink!

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Is the gap really that big between us and Everton?

I don't even know how to begin to answer that question so Ill just go with yes it's massive

Absolutely huge. For so many reasons. The main one being that are a quite literally, in a different league..

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I don't even know how to begin to answer that question so Ill just go with yes it's massive

Absolutely huge. For so many reasons. The main one being that are a quite literally, in a different league..

We shall see how we progress over the next 5 years and also what they do. I'm not denying there isn't a gap, but to say it's huge is a bit of an overstatement imo. Obviously potentially it could get very big, but we shall see. We need to get back up next season.

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We shall see how we progress over the next 5 years and also what they do. I'm not denying there isn't a gap, but to say it's huge is a bit of an overstatement imo. Obviously potentially it could get very big, but we shall see. We need to get back up next season.

I'm sorry but I can't see in what universe the gap between the team who finished 7th in the Premier League and the team who finished bottom half of the Championship, isn't huge. Even on a financial level, Everton must have earned a couple of hundred million for their top 7 finish whereas we must have earned about 50p (comparatively) for our disaster of a season. 

On top of that, their best player is being sold for £75 million. Probably 10 times what our best player is worth. On top of that they have just signed Rooney and Klaasen and are linked with Giroud. We have just signed a 37 year old and are linked with Peter Crouch. 

The gap is monumental.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 2

Lukaku has had the better last 18 months but Benteke is still good for 15-20 goals. He wasn't great at Palace but still managed 15 in 30 odd games.

Both of them will always be nightmares for defenders when on form due to their physical presence.

No way is Lukaku 40m better though. I note Benteke is getting linked to Chelsea now.

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I'm sorry but I can't see in what universe the gap between the team who finished 7th in the Premier League and the team who finished bottom half of the Championship, isn't huge. Even on a financial level, Everton must have earned a couple of hundred million for their top 7 finish whereas we must have earned about 50p (comparatively) for our disaster of a season. 

On top of that, their best player is being sold for £75 million. Probably 10 times what our best player is worth. On top of that they have just signed Rooney and Klaasen and are linked with Giroud. We have just signed a 37 year old and are linked with Peter Crouch. 

The gap is monumental.

There is a gap, but it's not a gap that can't be clawed back in a few years. It's okay saying all of what you've said, but Everton need to push on and do the job in hand. 

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There is a gap, but it's not a gap that can't be clawed back in a few years. It's okay saying all of what you've said, but Everton need to push on and do the job in hand. 

I'm not saying we can't claw it back one day. I hope we can do. I'm just stating that there is a massive difference between the two clubs at present and that it's a really sad thing to have to admit as Villa fans. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I'm not saying we can't claw it back one day. I hope we can do. I'm just stating that there is a massive difference between the two clubs at present and that it's a really sad thing to have to admit as Villa fans. 

I know the money they are getting for lukaku is too good to turn down, but I'd be disappointed if I was an Everton fan that they couldn't keep him. I'm not seeing anything at the minute that tells me they will seriously challenge the top 4. Good luck to them.

• Like 1

Gaps can be closed quickly...who'd have though in 2010 that 6 years later Bournemouth would be finishing ahead of us in the league table. They were in league 2 at that point.

Sad how far we've fallen from that time when we were roughly on a par with Spurs and Everton, just terrible managerial and recruitment decisions season after season while those two have generally made sounds ones and quickly rectified any mistakes.

• Like 2

Whilst the gap between us and Everton is huge, it's a gap that I can see being bridged in the near future. Not saying we WILL bridge it, but going from Championship club to a top 6 or 7 club in the Prem isn't an insurmountable task. If Xia runs us well and backs us financially then we can do that, despite it seeming so far away now.

The difference with Spurs is they have done that next step that Everton haven't managed yet. Two steps in fact. They've turned themselves into a Champions League regular (you would imagine) AND genuine title contenders. That is another gap altogether

• Like 3

18 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Newcastle are not miles ahead of us read Rafas latest comments he is pissed at their business so far. That squad if they dont add some real quality will get relegated again. They only scraped the title because of us. They didn't run away with the league like most predicted. I think rafa will resign or be sacked before season ends. Hopefully we will switching leagues come next summer :)

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Whilst the gap between us and Everton is huge, it's a gap that I can see being bridged in the near future. Not saying we WILL bridge it, but going from Championship club to a top 6 or 7 club in the Prem isn't an insurmountable task. If Xia runs us well and backs us financially then we can do that, despite it seeming so far away now.

The difference with Spurs is they have done that next step that Everton haven't managed yet. Two steps in fact. They've turned themselves into a Champions League regular (you would imagine) AND genuine title contenders. That is another gap altogether

Everton will find it tougher keeping hold of their better players unlike Spurs who can now compete with the top clubs in Europe. A few years ago Kane would have left Spurs just like Bale did. Anyway I don't want two Liverpool clubs in the top 4 when Birmingham has none. its ridiculous when we have the larger city. Not that SHA in anyway represent the City's name. in fact they are a insult to the name

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Everton will find it tougher keeping hold of their better players unlike Spurs who can now compete with the top clubs in Europe. A few years ago Kane would have left Spurs just like Bale did.

Well exactly. Spurs have made that jump, which is what I meant by them being a step further ahead than Everton.

Â