dudevillaisnice

We are years behind Everton and the gap is growing all the time due to the TV income and their new owner.

Their new ground is a significant development for them in terms of the income it will generate.

It is utterly pointless to even estimate how many years we are behind them while we are in the Championship.

• Like 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

We are years behind Everton and the gap is growing all the time due to the TV income and their new owner.

Their new ground is a significant development for them in terms of the income it will generate.

It is utterly pointless to even estimate how many years we are behind them while we are in the Championship.

True. We really need to get back up next season and even then fund a squad that can compete. Villa park as a ground is being left behind regarding capacity and that will continue whilst we continue to struggle. New owners are not always a blessing though.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I think this is THE salient point.

The longer we stay down here, the larger the gap will be.

But I do think the guys are right when they say that currenty ... and ON THE BASIS that we get promoted this season ... then the gap to Everton is not a huge one.  But it does require immediate promotion.

When you think that Southampton finished 8th last season on 46 points.  That's quite mental.  Yes there was a big jump of 15pts from 8th to 7th, but let's face it, if we finished 8th to Everton's 7th, you'd be hard pushed to argue that the clubs were separated by a massive gap.

Let's just get up out of this den of mediocrity and let Tony do his thing.

Definitely agree. Get promoted next season and Everton finish out of the top 6 then I'd hardly call the gap huge. IF we don't get promoted then I shall be concerned with our chances of escaping anytime soon. 

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

True. We really need to get back up next season and even then fund a squad that can compete. Villa park as a ground is being left behind regarding capacity and that will continue whilst we continue to struggle. New owners are not always a blessing though.

I don’t know if capacity plays a major part really. We have a 42k stadium more than Chelsea and they don’t do too badly. I'd agree anything that can improve our income is important but it won’t take too much to throw another 8 – 10k onto our capacity by renovating the North Stand.

With regard to how far we are behind the likes of Everton then yes obviously being in a division below means we are a good way behind them. We get back into the top flight though and spend the kind of money you’d imagine Xia will and we can certainly see catching them over a 2-3 year period as achievable. I doubt Newcastle see Everton as being out of reach for them over the next 2-3 years.

The key is getting promoted and that has to be this season as the longer we are down in the Championship the harder it will become for us as we won’t have the parachute payments to help with FFP.

Income off crowds is pretty irrelevant for premier league clubs these days, but it's important to keep moving with the big clubs. Personally I think if we get promoted our season ticket sales will maybe hit an all time high which will see VP at full capacity for most games. It's important we continue from then on and progress. I'm intrigued to see how long and if at all Everton progress as I think it's much harder these days. There is a lot of competition for those top four places and let's be honest that's got to be there aim. Regular top four finishes and your club takes a gigantic step in the footballing world.

Just now, Genie said:

The other day this thread was discussing Everton being CL contenders, now its that Mid-table in the 2nd Division Villa are not that far behind... :blink:

Everton being CL contenders requires a jump from where they are.  Us catching Everton requires a jump from where we are.  Both things can be discussed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The other day this thread was discussing Everton being CL contenders, now its that Mid-table in the 2nd Division Villa are not that far behind... :blink:

Everton managing top four status or villa catching Everton up. What's more likely? 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

Everton being CL contenders requires a jump from where they are.  Us catching Everton requires a jump from where we are.  Both things can be discussed.

The discussion was that they'd got the personnel in to make the step up. We don't even have a proper GK as it stands :lol: 

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don't think anyone has said it the way you have implied.

Merely that the gap between us and Everton is feasibly bridgeable. it may take time, and it may not happen. But midtable in the championship with our squad and finances to top 6/7 in the premier league is not a crazy suggestion.

Certainly the point I was making was that grouping Everton and Spurs as being miles ahead of us suggests they're at the same level. Whereas Spurs are a whole tier above Everton now.

Basically, the gap to Everton is a gap I could see us closing over the next few years. The gap to Spurs won't close very much, if at all.

• Like 2

Just now, Genie said:

The discussion was that they'd got the personnel in to make the step up. We don't even have a proper GK as it stands :lol: 

That's a slightly obtuse observation though given that there's currently no football and we'll have a keeper probably this week, but certainly by the time there's meaningful football to be played.  Meanwhile Everton have sold most of their goals to Man Utd.

But anyway, the point is made further up.  This season will be massive for both clubs and will go a long way towards dictating the size of the gap next year.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Everton managing top four status or villa catching Everton up. What's more likely? 

The former.

The later Everton will never get top 4 but Villa in 10 years might catch Everton. Leicester have had more success than Everton so would you put them ahead of Everton right now. 

Edited by PaulC

21 hours ago, jim said:

The former.

Pick which 3 of the 6 clubs currently above them are all going to fall behind them.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Pick which 3 of the 6 clubs currently above them are all going to fall behind them.

You'd have potentially said the same about Spurs before they became a regular top 4 challenging club.  Everton are closer to doing that at the moment than we are with regards to catching Everton.

By an absolute mile, too.

Just now, bobzy said:

You'd have potentially said the same about Spurs before they became a regular top 4 challenging club.  Everton are closer to doing that at the moment than we are with regards to catching Everton.

By an absolute mile, too.

I'm still curious as to an answer all the same.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I'm still curious as to an answer all the same.

I don't think there's any particularly obvious weaknesses - it would just need Everton to finish above any 3 of the 6.

Arsenal are probably weakest IMO.

Just now, bobzy said:

I don't think there's any particularly obvious weaknesses - it would just need Everton to finish above any 3 of the 6.

Arsenal are probably weakest IMO.

And you're getting towards the crux of my point.  For them to come 4th it needs 3 to drop.  Getting above Arsenal puts them 6th.

I'd say it's more likely we get promoted this season than they get 4th.  I'd say it's more likely we stay up next season than they get 4th and I'd say it's more likely that we start to bridge the gap than them getting 4th.  The gap; or let's call it chasm; between them and 4th is a very difficult one to bridge.  They're beginning to find out how difficult now that they're so close their rivals are stealing their best players.

• Like 1

Â