dudevillaisnice

It seems Martinez has started believing in all the hype around himself. Not surprising, the media have blown so much smoke up his arse these last 2 years. For me he's massively over-rated and will be found out at everton.

I'm not sure he'll last the season.

Just heard on sky that he promised Champs league football? Is he being serious? If moyes could only achieve that once, why would he think he could in his first season in charge? 

Just heard on sky that he promised Champs league football? Is he being serious? If moyes could only achieve that once, why would he think he could in his first season in charge? 

What is he supposed to say?   He thinks he will deliver mid table obscurity? 

• Like 1

He didn't promise it in his first season though.

Just say he will continue where Moyes left off and continue to push for a top 4 spot. 

Martinez is an interesting case. He's a guy with a very good but not great record who we think of as better than he is because of his confident talking and entertaining style. Whether he's actually good will now be tested more

An amazing stat on Sky just....

In the last 4 seasons Martinez has only spent £4m less on transfers than Moyes did at Everton. He had signed more players with the money and so had a lower average spend per player but that is an amazing stat.

I think I'd be a little concerned reading that as an Everton fan.

When you see that you have to question just how good Martinez actually is and admire just what a good job Moyes did.

• Like 1

Martinez would be a very good car salesman. If he doesn't get off to a flying start he will get it from there fans. The difference with Lambert was, he was given time due to awful year we had with McLeish. If Martinez tries the 'tipp-tappy' stuff with some of their players too soon they may struggle. Next season will be interesting.

Backlash is going to be pretty hard when he eventually is looking at 12th place with 4 matches to go though

He be pretty chuffed. Would be his highest league finish ;)

I'd say that given the resources he had at Everton, Moyes has been the best overall manager in the Premier League for the last several years. 

It is hard to argue.

Not to mention that Fellaini was his biggest buy at 15 million, that has been his only big buy. Bring that too the match table and it`s more clear. Concerned indeed. I do think Martinez has some talent but he is setting himself up for a fall, I don`t think this is a club he should have been taking over. IMO, something like QPR last year where he could have brought in a lot of spanish players on big money then maybe. Either way, we will see now. I find it hard to believe that he will do anything close to what moyes did.

In the last 4 seasons Martinez has only spent £4m less on transfers than Moyes did at Everton. He had signed more players with the money and so had a lower average spend per player but that is an amazing stat.

When you see that you have to question just how good Martinez actually is and admire just what a good job Moyes did.

Net spends are always subjective (due to a very high margin of error). There is a big difference in their relative wage bills (which are easier to compare).

Everton's was 63m in 2012 and Wigan's 38m. That's a huge difference in resources.

• Like 2

Net spends are always subjective (due to a very high margin of error). There is a big difference in their relative wage bills (which are easier to compare).

Everton's was 63m in 2012 and Wigan's 38m. That's a huge difference in resources.

Plus you have to factor in that Everton's squad was probably of much higher standard already at the outset. Not to say that Moyes hadn't done a remarkable job, just that net spend in isolation may not tell the whole picture.

Just say he will continue where Moyes left off and continue to push for a top 4 spot.

He did say that CL is what the club should be aiming for and that that's what he'll be doing - which they kind of have been aiming for all along anyway. He also basically gave himself at least 3 years to achieve it. So he hasn't said anything that he shouldn't have said or that you wouldn't expect him to say.

Martinez is an interesting case. He's a guy with a very good but not great record who we think of as better than he is because of his confident talking and entertaining style. Whether he's actually good will now be tested more

Very good by what standard?

Â