Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

He played dour football with Blackburn and Fulham, we wouldn't stand for it. I agree he is a good manager, but it's a similar situation with us lot whenever a player is left out the squad...we inflate their qualities.

I actually thought Fulham played some decent football in the 2nd half of last season, they certainly did at VP.

And he got Man. City attacking well, they just couldn't defend.

Much much better manager than Mcleish.

I would keep Bent at all costs and start playing two wingers to furnish him with chances & goals

But why are Villa fans so keen to do this for Darren Bent and not some other cheaper option? This is why I didn't think signing him was a good move for you, as it tied up so much of your capital in such a basic player. If you create chances there are lots of stikers who can finish them. But for £18/24 million you'd want a player who has real quality and can add to the team in different ways. As much as your fans rated Bent last season, his record even then wasn't as impressive as Yakubu's has been for Blackburn this season, or Bemba Ba's at Newcastle. There are other similar players around that are much cheaper. Last season when you were delighted with Bent he scored every 155 mins for you. But there are lots of stikers who score at a quicker rate than that. Even Stephen Fletcher at Wolves scored every 134 mins. Why not create the chacnes for someone like Fletcher instead? Why would he score at a lesser rate than Bent if he was wearing a Villa shirt? There is nothing wrong with Bent per se, but the price for such a basic player was absurd and even more so given Villa had a limited budget. Bent isn't bad and he's done pretty well for you, but even the most staunch Bent fans must recognise you've got far too much tied up in a limited player, that despite his popularity, wouldn't be hard to replace for much cheaper.

I think you speak a lot of sense to be fair. His prem career record is outstanding but he doesn't offer anywhere near as much to the team as someone like Ba.

Bang on the money for me Joey I think we would have a much better team without Bent in it. The only problem for me is how much we would get from a sale or whether Mcleish is the man to spend the money.

I really think Gabby should be our main striker .

His prem career record is outstanding but he doesn't offer anywhere near as much to the team as someone like Ba.
Ba is outstanding just at the moment. His movement on and off the ball is exceptional. he works hard for position and possession.

It presents a real contrast with Bent who just seems to drift around waiting for someone to pass to him and has no game to offer if that isn't happening.

Main reasons we should keep Bent is he is our top scorer and what if he scores loads of goals for another team, makes us look stupid.

He still has 15 in 32 league games which is a very good ratio.

He is having a difficult spell but all players have it many times throughout thieir career

i've not said a bad word about bent this season and have defended his performances after watching him chase defenders all game.....

but that has always been after mcleish has played 451 and left him completely isolated and ive been screaming for mcleish to give him a partner...

yesterday mcleish did that and we played 442....and Bent was just as invisible as he is in a 451....

im sorry darren but if you cant play yourself into the game against bristol rovers then maybe you are more complacent and willing to be a passenger than i originally thought....

he was no threat at all and he tried nothing to change that.....

i still think our style is limiting him as a player but if he keeps producing lifeless performances like yesterday when he had plenty of support then im gonna start thinking his motivation and desire is waning.

I thought it was an interesting choice of words from McLeish last night. From what I have seen, he did not at any point say that he doesn't want to sell Darren Bent, rather that they have not had any offers.

I think McLeish has had a problem with Bent from pretty earlier on - I don't think he sees how both him and Gabby can play in the same team -and that there is the will within Aston Villa to sell him on.

I think though they also realise that this is a hard 'sell' to the fans - so are caught in something of a quandary.

I was a huge fan of bent until this season,

I watched a video of all him goals last season and most of the assists came from walker, downing or young.

we havn't had that sort of supply line this season so he hasnt been a lot of use, dosent really work hard for the team or show for the ball. In fact Heskey comes looking for the ball more than bent does.

I always used to go mad when gabi was plaued out wide however in a way i think sometimes he enjoys it. Against arsenal he played up front on his own and kept drifting out and leaving no one in the box when the delivery was ready to come in from out wide.

for me id play gabi in the middle and give him a bit more of a roam by playing 1 wide man in nzog and ireland just behind the centre forward to support if gabi does drift.

is bent that centre forward though????

but if we was to be sold who is the replacement?

if it was liverpool it could involve a swap for caroll??? however this could encourage dunne and collins to return to hoofing the ball up the pitch.

but who else is out there who is going to please villa fans??

McLeish also reiterated the club stance on Darren Bent after the third round victory.

The Villa boss revealed he had spoken to Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish about the ongoing and wild internet speculation linking Bent with Anfield.

He was happy with the response of Dalglish, who reiterated that "there's nothing in it."

McLeish added: "It's not frustrating. It's just the window. It's good fun. I'm not frustrated by it.

"People like to speculate, social networks, it's a field day.

"Anyone that's out there that want Benty certainly haven't contacted me.

"Benty has said on the record that he wants to stay at the club. You have to take his word for that.

"Certainly anyone I have asked outside the club - agents etc - is there an interest I have been told flatly no.

"I have spoken to Kenny and he said there's nothing in it. He said - just because Mark Lawrenson said something it doesn't mean it's true.

"That kind of stuff you can't prevent it. It's out of my control. I don't get upset by it."

McLeish also reiterated the club stance on Darren Bent after the third round victory.

The Villa boss revealed he had spoken to Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish about the ongoing and wild internet speculation linking Bent with Anfield.

He was happy with the response of Dalglish, who reiterated that "there's nothing in it."

McLeish added: "It's not frustrating. It's just the window. It's good fun. I'm not frustrated by it.

"Benty has said on the record that he wants to stay at the club. You have to take his word for that.

"Certainly anyone I have asked outside the club - agents etc - is there an interest I have been told flatly no.

"I have spoken to Kenny and he said there's nothing in it. He said - just because Mark Lawrenson said something it doesn't mean it's true.

"That kind of stuff you can't prevent it. It's out of my control. I don't get upset by it."

Interesting isn't it? Nowhere does he say 'I don't want to sell Darren Bent' - and clearly he has asked around to see if anyone is interested in him.

Interesting isn't it? Nowhere does he say 'I don't want to sell Darren Bent' - and clearly he has asked around to see if anyone is interested in him.

Well no.

"We've not heard a thing from Liverpool," said McLeish told Sky Sports.

"I'm aware of the speculation. But there has been no contact with this club and I think you've had three parties telling you that."

"But, even if there was contact, we would not entertain that (selling Bent)."

"We wouldn't want to entertain selling our top scorer of last season. He is a prolific marksman."

link

So he has said he doesn't want to sell Bent. Your argument is void.

Well no.

"I'm aware of the speculation. But there has been no contact with this club and I think you've had three parties telling you that."

"We wouldn't want to entertain selling our top scorer of last season. He is a prolific marksman."

link

Sorry to be a pedant, but I think this is quite important - when was the second quote from? After the Bristol Rovers match?

Well no.

link

Sorry to be a pedant, but I think this is quite important - when was the second quote from? After the Bristol Rovers match?

Before. Either way, he's maintained several times the club doesn't want to sell.

They didn't want to sell Downing either. But he was sold anyway.

Difference is though, Downing put a transfer request in. Bent has not.

He also had 2 years left on his contract (bent has 3 1/2) and wasn't worth anymore than £12m.

The club realise this is a hard sell for the fans and aren't going to come out and say 'we are selling Darren Bent'. But, in my opinion, I think there is some 'wiggle room'. If the right offer comes in, it is my belief he will be sold.

The club realise this is a hard sell for the fans and aren't going to come out and say 'we are selling Darren Bent'. But, in my opinion, I think there is some 'wiggle room'. If the right offer comes in, it is my belief he will be sold.

does that not apply to every player in the world?

Â