Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

He played dour football with Fulham.

That's untrue. By the second half/final third of the season they were playing some really nice stuff.

One of their best displays being the 2-0 away win at the Sty that all but confirmed their relegation. 8)

taking into account the fact that his body language looks wrong , we don't get the ball to him etc

would people take £20m for him and use it on Hoilett and Rhodes and maybe 1 or 2 other players ?

assuming Lerner actually spends the money this time instead of lining his pockets with it

taking into account the fact that his body language looks wrong , we don't get the ball to him etc

would people take £20m for him and use it on Hoilett and Rhodes and maybe 1 or 2 other players ?

assuming Lerner actually spends the money this time instead of lining his pockets with it

We got £35m for Young and Downing, we saw about half of that for transfers. So if we sell Bent for 20m, we'd be looking at 8-10m and that would go on Gardner, Davis and probably somebody else who suits the 0-0 defending we do.

We wouldn't have the ambition and McLeish wouldn't have the nous to sign anybody ambitious.

I really do like bent but recently he just doesnt look interested. Cant remember him having a shot and thats against a very poor bristol team. He just didnt even seem like he wanted to try. Very poor. I only want him here if he wants to be here and is goin to try.

Trouble has always with Bent is if he isn't scoring he does **** all and you may as well play with 10 men. He was utter tripe again today. He has an air of billy big bollocks about him but he really needs to start to put a shift in even if things aren't going his way. He needs to accept that he isn't going to get the service he was last season, due to the loss of Ash and Downing, get his head down, give 100% and realise its not all about him and start putting a shift in for the team. I'm sick to death of seeing him gesturing as if to say how come you haven't laid it on a plate for me. In terms of effort he could certainly learn plenty from Gabby.

i may be in the minority but i thought that tonight was actually one of his better all round games in terms of interest and effort. for some reason we seemed to be playing him as a target man, but he dropped short, held it up, brought others in to play and ran the channels when required. i saw no less effort and ability at this than gabby tonight. not sure why mcleish had the defence hoofing it too him and expecting him to win headers against much taller CBs though.

he took up some good positions in the box, although i agree there were a few times when he looked less sharp than what we saw last season.

our final ball all round was pretty poor tonight however, there was many a time where we had people in the box only for the cross to hit the first man or sail over everybodys head. we actually didnt create that much, i think we scored 3 of maybe 5 or 6 chances created. 2 of those were excellent individual goals.

we may as well wrap him up in cotton wool and protect him for liverpool if we continue to play how we have been.

if however the players take it upon themselves to ignore the GC and play football how it should be played, it will be worth unwrapping him from that cotton wool and playing him.

at the moment he looks shit because we play shit anti football, when we get it on the ground and move it around it takes advantage of bents movement, hooof it up in the air nullifies all of bents qualities of off the ball movement and his finishing ( what we paid the money for).

this idiot of a manager had a whole preseason, he knew young ( who was poor by his standards last season) and downing were off and had the entire summer to get in a couple wingers, they are not mystical creatures and rare as rocking horse shit .

the reason we didnt get anyone like that is because it doesnt agree with the ginger clunges interpretation of how the game should be played.

he manages to crush any player with flare or attacking instincts, he literally bores it out of them.

for some reason we seemed to be playing him as a target man, but he dropped short, held it up, brought others in to play and ran the channels when required. i saw no less effort and ability at this than gabby tonight. not sure why mcleish had the defence hoofing it too him and expecting him to win headers against much taller CBs though.

Agree it's stupid and just frustrated him even more if anything.

I would keep Bent at all costs and start playing two wingers to furnish him with chances & goals

this

it also gives us some shape and support for the fullbacks who are not having the best of times anyway

it is not excusing some of the poor shows ( hutton especially poor) but it cant help when they dont have a regualr player in front of them to help when the other team is attacking.

but we cant do it having petrov and clark in the middle, we need more energy and skill than that.

i would even be tempted to go to the gregory thoughts of 3 central defenders at the back and wing halves, albrighton and nzog should be able to bomb forwards and get back

that would leave petrov heard and ireland in the middle with gabby and bent up front

nzog played left back for a season or 2 before an albrighton is quick enough to run up and down the sidelines, both can also deliver a decent ball into the box from deep ( not a hoof but an outswinging deep cross)

while not exactly a traditional formation, the likes of dunne cuellar and clark covering the back line while nzog and alby holding further up the pitch SHOULD offer more protection and also give us 5 across the middle when we are on the attack

I would keep Bent at all costs and start playing two wingers to furnish him with chances & goals

But why are Villa fans so keen to do this for Darren Bent and not some other cheaper option? This is why I didn't think signing him was a good move for you, as it tied up so much of your capital in such a basic player. If you create chances there are lots of stikers who can finish them. But for £18/24 million you'd want a player who has real quality and can add to the team in different ways. As much as your fans rated Bent last season, his record even then wasn't as impressive as Yakubu's has been for Blackburn this season, or Bemba Ba's at Newcastle. There are other similar players around that are much cheaper. Last season when you were delighted with Bent he scored every 155 mins for you. But there are lots of stikers who score at a quicker rate than that. Even Stephen Fletcher at Wolves scored every 134 mins. Why not create the chacnes for someone like Fletcher instead? Why would he score at a lesser rate than Bent if he was wearing a Villa shirt? There is nothing wrong with Bent per se, but the price for such a basic player was absurd and even more so given Villa had a limited budget. Bent isn't bad and he's done pretty well for you, but even the most staunch Bent fans must recognise you've got far too much tied up in a limited player, that despite his popularity, wouldn't be hard to replace for much cheaper.

Â