Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

The papers are just throwing Bent's name out there. He was going to Liverpool last week.

Exactly... there is a huge anti Villa bias in the media which has been around for years which got worse after Saint Martin left.

I can just imagine it now, all these editors can think of is doing down Villa. Lets be honest Villa are a non-story. The club over the last few years has shown it self to be a selling club, so if we are selling Bent, it would be ‘typical’ and not out of character.

I would suggest that perhaps Bent’s representatives have been expressing their clients itchy feet, and the papers are simply reflecting it.

Agreed.

Also the fact that Albrighton & Clark have both come out saying they hope he stays, but they don't know anything is another indication to me.

The papers are just throwing Bent's name out there. He was going to Liverpool last week.

Exactly... there is a huge anti Villa bias in the media which has been around for years which got worse after Saint Martin left.

I can just imagine it now, all these editors can think of is doing down Villa. Lets be honest Villa are a non-story. The club over the last few years has shown it self to be a selling club, so if we are selling Bent, it would be ‘typical’ and not out of character.

I would suggest that perhaps Bent’s representatives have been expressing their clients itchy feet, and the papers are simply reflecting it.

Almost every club is a selling one. Bent pledged his loyalty weeks ago, he doesn't strike me as a Downing. Stop giving paper talk credence.

Agreed.

Also the fact that Albrighton & Clark have both come out saying they hope he stays, but they don't know anything is another indication to me.

Are many VTers in danger of being reduced to guessing about guesswork? :|

I can't see Bent going to QPR. We're not going to want anything less than £24m for him and there's no way QPR are going to blow all or most of their transfer budget on one player.

The papers are just fumbling in the dark.

Agreed.

It's not that Villa re a non-story. It's more that Birmingham and the Midlands have zero impact in the world of the UK media industry. Reporters, newspapers, TV stations and programming are all mainly London or North West based. It's why non-entities like Joey Barton - once they move to London - get huge coverage. It's why the likes of McEachran and Wilshere get all the plaudits and focus whilst Gardner, Albrighton and so on don't. Imagine if Wilshere had scored the 20,000th Premier League goal for example...it would have been blanket coverage.

It's a sad state of affairs because it means we, as a club, have an extra hurdle to climb when it comes to getting a fair press - and it's been that way since the 1960's in my opinion.

By the way, "selling club"? Are Villa any more of a selling club than Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs? They've all sold just as much talent (and for just as much money) over the past few years. The media tends not to dwell on this, for whatever reason.

Nonsense. When it comes to football "rumours" The Guardian and Telegraph are usually spot on. They don't print random bollocks with no substance like The Mirror, Daily Star or The Sun.

Nonsense. When it comes to football "rumours" The Guardian and Telegraph are usually spot on. They don't print random bollocks with no substance like The Mirror, Daily Star or The Sun.

There were some stats on here a while ago comparing how true each paper's rumours were. The broadsheets performed slightly better than the tabloids IIRC but were still wrong most of the time.

Bent would never go to QPR

A club with a good new manager and money to spend?

Bent could well miss out on the euros this summer or find himself going and not getting a game.

I can see lots of reasons why Darren Bent would want to leave right now.

If we are to sell Bent, then we should not accept a penny less than £30m at this time of the year, especially as the rumoured interested party are around about us in the league table.

There were some stats on here a while ago comparing how true each paper's rumours were. The broadsheets performed slightly better than the tabloids IIRC but were still wrong most of the time.

Can anyone link me to the stats?

Â