Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

The papers are just throwing Bent's name out there. He was going to Liverpool last week.

Nonsense. When it comes to football "rumours" The Guardian and Telegraph are usually spot on. They don't print random bollocks with no substance like The Mirror, Daily Star or The Sun.

There were some stats on here a while ago comparing how true each paper's rumours were. The broadsheets performed slightly better than the tabloids IIRC but were still wrong most of the time.

Can anyone link me to the stats?

I think it may have been these

Thanks briny_ear. I wish people wouldn't believe every negative story they read.

How come everyone thinks bent is going all of a sudden? Mcleish said his not for sale. Whats changed?

Nothing. He said Downing wasn't going in the summer, he thinks Keane is at his peak.

McLeish says lots of things, I like a lot of others just happen to think he is full of shit.

So nothing has really changed.

The papers are just throwing Bent's name out there. He was going to Liverpool last week.

Nonsense. When it comes to football "rumours" The Guardian and Telegraph are usually spot on. They don't print random bollocks with no substance like The Mirror, Daily Star or The Sun.

There were some stats on here a while ago comparing how true each paper's rumours were. The broadsheets performed slightly better than the tabloids IIRC but were still wrong most of the time.

Can anyone link me to the stats?

I think it may have been these

Thanks briny_ear. I wish people wouldn't believe every negative story they read.

I wish people wouldn't fall for a number of statistics put on a website and then act as if it is gospel.

Firstly, anyone can put a bunch of statistics on a website. Secondly, if someone was to carryout research whether it is in the field of academic research or transfer rumours people will want facts on how this research was carried out. You cannot expect everyone to simply believe numbers put on a website.

Thirdly, there is quite a huge difference that is clear to me when reviewing the statistics that this website says is correct.

Daily Mirror - linked Villa with 500 players

The Sun - linked with 171 different players

NOTW - 131 different players

Daily Mail - 214 players

They have an average accuracy rating of 23.75% out of a total of 1016 players the 4 rags linked us with. Over 750 rumours they created were absolute bollocks, created as bollocks to fill column inches.

If you look at the broadsheets and respected papers:

The Guardian - Linked with 46 players - 18 correct - 39.1%

The Times - Linked with 50 - 21 correct - 42%

It is quite clear papers like The Independent, The Times, The Guardian do not bother making up pointless rumours to fill column inches. Sure, they get some wrong, show me a paper that doesn't. However, when they bother to link us with a player there is a 40% chance with The Times there is substance, thereabouts with The Guardian.

My point is they don't create mindless rumours like The Sun etc. They link us with players because they have heard from sources that there is substance. When The Times and The Guardian say QPR are looking at Bent and Hughes has money to spend I am very likely to believe it. Two respected papers wouldn't link him there if Hughes wasn't interested imo.

When you look at the statistics and number of players linked you will see that. The broadsheets link us with a smaller sample which has an average accuracy rating, as again they don't put random made-up rumours in their paper. The rags link us with everyone and anyone and mud will stick eventually.

I can see lots of reasons why Darren Bent would want to leave right now.

Me too. Just not to QPR.

More ££££ and moving back to London?

Bent is on a phat wedge here, i doubt hed get more at QPR. Plus, London is a dump and Bent isnt from London anyway hes from Cambridge. Cambridge aint that far from Birmingham...

I can only assume you've never been to London? Perhaps I'm slightly biased as I live here but London on the whole especially for a man on £70k a week is far from a dump.

I wish people wouldn't fall for a number of statistics put on a website and then act as if it is gospel.

But its okay for people to believe that Darren Bent WILL be sold, because a paper said so? (and then subsequently use that info to continue slating the manager, owner and club?)

How come everyone thinks bent is going all of a sudden? Mcleish said his not for sale. Whats changed?
Is this the same type of going nowhere comment that he gave for downing or a different one?

But its okay for people to believe that Darren Bent WILL be sold, because a paper said so? (and then subsequently use that info to continue slating the manager, owner and club?)

That is the nature of football and transfer windows. If you read RedCafe people still thought Rooney would leave even though he signed a new contract. There were posts claiming it was all a ploy to get a top price in the summer.

It is human nature to be pessimisttic in times of uncertainty, and with the club being in so much turmoil that really is not surprising. People are curious beings and will always see the bad in certain situations regardless of what has been said. It certainly does not help that our manager said Downing would not be sold for anything less than £50m.

I just don't understand why QPR. He could end up playing Championship football at the shittest ground in London next season. I don't think he's guaranteed to keep a side like QPR up in the same way he did for us. It would be better for him to bang the goals in for us, go to the Euros and knick a couple of goals before Rooney gets back and then have offers from all over the place (before turning them down to stay with us).

As per Downing, transfer requests can 'move the goal posts' significantly. Downing's request could be seen coming, possibly caused by AM's 'we're not selling' which forced Downing's hand, saved the club a huge pay off and brought the uncertainty to an end. Do people think a request from Bent is as likely?

Exactly... there is a huge anti Villa bias in the media

no, there isnt

stop being such a scouser

All opinions mate and like it or not that's mine.

Like it or not there is huge bias towards certain clubs and individuals. The love in with MON being a great example.

Despite not doing very well at the moment and despite McLeish failing to utilise him I still think he's got more chance of getting into the England squad here than at QPR. When he was at Sunderland he hardly got a look in yet since he's moved here he's been called up for every game I think.

To a direct question face to face ' Don't sell Downing he is class if you do Bent will suffer ' AM replied ' I won't sell him for 50 mill ' FACT

I know things change and Downing made it clear like Milner before him he wanted out . But for a supposed expeienced manager why say it then , don't tell me what I want to hear tell me the truth .

For the record I don't think Bent will leave because no one will come up with the money . There isn't the money around to pay 25 mill unless your top 3 and none of them will buy him or need him .

For the record I don't think Bent will leave because no one will come up with the money . There isn't the money around to pay 25 mill unless your top 3 and none of them will buy him or need him .

QPR easily have the money

qpr will gamble this transfer window, fernandes said that if qpr fail then he will walk away, he will not want to walk away so will do as much as he can to keep them up, if it means buying the best players from the clubs around them, i wouldnt be suprised.

i want bent here, we deserve him, he doesnt deserve the tactics or style of play he has been forced to play under.

it looks like he isnt trying in most games, i wouldnt if all that i saw was the ball 35 foot in the air and 2 defenders around me 9 out of 10 'passes' to me.

it looks like he isnt trying in most games, i wouldnt if all that i saw was the ball 35 foot in the air and 2 defenders around me 9 out of 10 'passes' to me.

I don't give a **** if the ball is 100ft above him he should still try his hardest. I don't see his fellow forward Gabby suffering from this Billy big bollocks attitude of if its not put on a plate for me I ain't trying.

He could learn a lot from Gabby in terms of work rate and attitude and getting yourself involved in games. It was inevitable he wouldn't be getting as many chances be that due to the manager or the loss of Downing and Ash. He needs to get his head down and give his all for the team and stop thinking of number one. Lets not forget has missed a few good chances this season as well by the way.

QPR easily have the money

Having the money and spending the money are very different things. Many owners possess the funds, very few have spent £20m plus on one player. Its a big step, one we ourselves have only made once.

For those questioning why he would go, the answer is simple....money. The exact same reason he came to us, dont go thinking the man will offer any loyalty.

I don't give a **** if the ball is 100ft above him he should still try his hardest. I don't see his fellow forward Gabby suffering from this Billy big bollocks attitude of if its not put on a plate for me I ain't trying.

He could learn a lot from Gabby in terms of work rate and attitude and getting yourself involved in games. It was inevitable he wouldn't be getting as many chances be that due to the manager or the loss of Downing and Ash. He needs to get his head down and give his all for the team and stop thinking of number one. Lets not forget has missed a few good chances this season as well by the way.

You're always referring to this "billy big bollocks attitude" he's supposedly got but how do you know this? Do you know him in real life?

Â