Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Reporter: "Do Bent rumours annoy you Alex?" McLeish: "It doesn't bother me. What's a source of irritation is that people don't believe you."

Another from Matt Kendrick. I think the press are trying to stir this up more than anyone else. They're obsessed with them.

7th July 2011 : Aston Villa: Stewart Downing is NOT for sale - Alex McLeish

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/07/07/aston-villa-stewart-downing-is-not-for-sale-alex-mcleish-97319-29010346/

Villa are adamant they have no desire to sell Downing who cost £10 million, rising to £12 million, when he arrived on crutches with a fractured foot two years ago.

“He had a magnificent season last year and really came to full maturity as a top player,” said McLeish.

“I understand why there’s teams interested in him and that is what happens when you play well consistently.

“His performances last season were top drawer.

“That’s why he’s NOT for sale."

15th July 2011 : Stewart Downing signs for Liverpool

Difference is Downing put a transfer request in. Bent hasn't.

As much as people think we're not told the truth, there is no way on gods earth that mcleish will have said that we have had no contact and a deal to have been done.

I see what you are saying myb but as Ulver said previously "It wouldnt surprise me if the board tried to sell him mind". Could it be that he has not been made aware of the contact from Liverpool and it has been done at board level?

I must admit that having seen his goal celebrations at Chelsea I had thought that Darren was happy where he was but if a deal is done he would be unlikely to hang around if we agreed to let him talk to them. At the moment I have no confidence that the club would turn down a bid that approached what we have actually paid for him which I guess is nearer £18m than £24m and I would anticipate straight cash rather than one of their rejects (although that might be used to inflate the actual fee paid to make the deal look better than it is for us) might be what any sticking point might be. If DB is still with us on 1/2 then my concerns will prove groundless but I just wonder how taking his wages off the books and getting somewhere near what we paid for him may play given our present approach to financial prudence at whatever cost to the playing side. :suspect:

The club are pushing for a sale imo.

McLeish has came out today and said he has had no contact with Liverpool. Its quite obvious what is going on. The club keep going on and on about it.

And yet if they didnt say anything, wed moan there was a lack of communication and the club should really address the rumours.

Can Mcliesh and the boared win?

Liverpool have sealed a deal to sign Aston Villa striker Darren Bent

The England international, 27, emerged as a surprise target for Liverpool late last month and it appears that a move has already been finalised.

Speaking on Twitter, David Anderson said: "An Anfield source says Darren Bent's move to Liverpool is done."

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish had previously ruled out a potential switch for Bent in the January window with the frontman only joining the club 12 months ago from Sunderland for £18m.

Â