Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I will be sad to see him go but it seems the best move for everybody concerned. I will be always be thankful for that first year when he made a big impact at the club.

Good luck Darren (Except agains us)

Bent and 3 million for Cisse  ? Discuss ! Helenius, Cisse Gabby & Andi. Versatile front 4 . Sell Benteke for realistically £26 million max, (pref keep) £10 million on a NO 10 play maker.  Money in the bank for january and towards a mammoth spree next summer to propel us to the next level. Continues the organic growth Learner has rightly put in place and Lambert seems to thrive under. 

If Benteke is sold, then Lambert needs to swallow his pride and have a rethink. I know it is unlikely but........ I am not confident that the Benteke money will be reinvested wisely, and I think the club needs at least 3 competent forwards.

You're not confident that the Benteke money will be reinvested wisely yet it was Lambert that bought Benteke in the first place?

Bent really wont be a loss as he has only contributed about 12 goals in 2 seasons which isnt good enough.

He isnt worst guy we ever had at club but he is limited. Phrase "does exactly what is says on the tin" sums him up perfectly

That isn't really his fault. He was superb under Houllier who bought him and played him to his strengths. Is McLeish did that instead of playing the 9-0-1 system where Bent ran around aimlessly as a result, he'd have been a hero.

I like Lambert and I like what he has done, but the way he has treated Bent is both unfair a bit childish. He deserves better and I hope he gets that elsewhere. We wasted potentially one of the best strikers we ever had in my opinion.

Unfair and childish?  You'll need to explain that one if anyone's to understand it.  He's patchy, he gets injured, he doesn't do a lot, he doesn't fit the system.  The obligation is surely to explain why he should be played ("we paid lots of money for him?") rather than defend why he's being sold.

Edited by peterms

We have Gabby, Weimann, Helenius, Tonev.....bowery competiting for 3 spots. N'zogbia will be back November-December probably. We will sign a replacement for Benteke and hopefully also an attacking midfielder who could play in one of those 3 spots.

Do people really think we won't be able to cope with that until January, numerically of course.

We have Gabby, Weimann, Helenius, Tonev.....bowery competiting for 3 spots. N'zogbia will be back November-December probably. We will sign a replacement for Benteke and hopefully also an attacking midfielder who could play in one of those 3 spots.

Do people really think we won't be able to cope with that until January, numerically of course.

Numerically yes. However, Benteke was so important for us last season I can't see the likes of Bowery and Delfouneso contributing at all. A replacement striker is a must. However as we have Helenius I would prefer more of a "number 9" come in to replace Bent as opposed to signing another big man. Maybe Guidetti on loan if Man City are getting Negredo and Jovetic...or a permanent deal for Vydra if City want to keep Guidetti.

If Benteke is sold, then Lambert needs to swallow his pride and have a rethink. I know it is unlikely but........ I am not confident that the Benteke money will be reinvested wisely, and I think the club needs at least 3 competent forwards.

You're not confident that the Benteke money will be reinvested wisely yet it was Lambert that bought Benteke in the first place?

No, too many dross signings to trust Randy Lerner. I know Benteke was a good buy but I have this feeling the money will get wasted.

Our striker signings have generally been hits under Lerner....Carew in a swop for Baros was great business, Bent was what we needed at the time and really should've been signed 18 months earlier when we actually had Young and Milner not about to leave and of course Benteke. I'm confident Helenius will be a hit aswell, certainly for 2m.

Let's not mention Heskey or Marlon (although he did have some moments in 07/08).

Bent (alongside Bannan + Ireland) was one of the most disappointing performers for me last season. Apart from equalizing against the baggies I just remember disappointing performance after disappointing performance when he did get a game. People seem quick to forget his stint as captain was awful and instead seem to feel sorry for him that it was taken off him too soon. He has a great career scoring record for sure, and I kind of agree with those who think "we might have just wasted our best striker in years" but I'm hoping he leaves asap.

I'll be sticking a tenner on him scoring against us home and away next year...

but its time to go.

Â