James Collins

AngelGabriel

when carlos is back match fit id like to see him get to partner dunne, but rather than drop collins id give him a shot playing in front of the back 4. he'd be worth bringing on for stan with 25 minutes left in a coupe of games to see how he fares. couple of reasons for this. firstly, he's got a decent engine, secondly he can tackle rather well, even if he does tend to go on his arse a bit. thirdly, since he'll be playing a bit higher up the pitch he's not likely to hoof as much. fourthly, getting caught out of position won't be quite as disastrous

been saying for a couple of years now i think he could do a job there, and i stand by that. coz hes a **** liability at the back

• 2 weeks later...
Collins said: “I’d love to extend my contract here and stay at Villa as long as I can. I’ve only just turned 28 so I think my best years are definitely still in front of me.

“My family have settled in the area, so if the opportunity was to come I’d love to sign another contract.”

http://tinyurl.com/65p9v47

I personally hope we don't offer him a contract extension.. I really don't rate him, positioning at times is awful, hoofs far too many times.. I hope we let him go and get another ball playing CB in or continue to develop Clark. Take out Collins from the team and I bet the the possession stat will increase.

Too indisciplined and has a tendancy to dive in which costs us free kicks and also throws the rest of the back four out of position due to a necessity to cover his magnet like attraction to wherever the ball is. Distribution is typical of the ONeill era where Heskey was the outball. Unfortunately, Collins doesnt seem to realise that without a Heskey like target man, the ball just comes back at him.

He is not awful, but neither would I be offering him a bumper pay rise. Personally, I would offer him an extension on reduced terms or, same terms and then try to offload him for a fee in the summer. I am sure the likes of Blackburn would snap him up.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Collins. Yes his distribution isn't great and he gets drawn a bit too easily to the ball at times. BUT he has to take credit for playing a big part in our mean defence this year. I think he deserves an extension on current form.

Not a big pay rise though

Collins is 28, he has 2 years left on his contract so when it expires he will be 30.. 30 is a good age for him to find another club and see out his career (picking up his last pay packet), by then hopefully will Clark will be first team material at Villa if not buy another better younger defender (who will probably be on half of what Collins is on anyway)

when carlos is back match fit id like to see him get to partner dunne, but rather than drop collins id give him a shot playing in front of the back 4. he'd be worth bringing on for stan with 25 minutes left in a coupe of games to see how he fares. couple of reasons for this. firstly, he's got a decent engine, secondly he can tackle rather well, even if he does tend to go on his arse a bit. thirdly, since he'll be playing a bit higher up the pitch he's not likely to hoof as much. fourthly, getting caught out of position won't be quite as disastrous

been saying for a couple of years now i think he could do a job there, and i stand by that. coz hes a **** liability at the back

dear god! :shock:

Collins is 28, he has 2 years left on his contract so when it expires he will be 30.. 30 is a good age for him to find another club and see out his career (picking up his last pay packet), by then hopefully will Clark will be first team material at Villa if not buy another better younger defender (who will probably be on half of what Collins is on anyway)

This for me!

collins is shit, never rated him. just a clumsy over weight defender.

i would rather clark or cuellar any day

Indeed, when I read he would love to extend all I could think was "I'm sure you would, easy money for doing **** all".

Actually Collins strikes me as someone who takes pride in his game and tries to give it his all. Little things suggest this like his apology to fans over Twitter after the 7-1 drubbing from Chelsea where he said he was ashamed to be a footballer or something like that, or that gif where he couldn't watch Gabby taking the penalty against Blose (incidentally the penalty which McLeish said 'wasn't a penalty in a million years' :lol:).

The problem with Collins is I just don't think he's very good. I'd say his game-reading ability is probably the weakest of all our back line (barring maybe Hutton), he makes bad decisions and he has too much of a license to hoof. Even playing with heart, he doesn't quite make the grade.

Still, I wouldn't drop him just now. For his standards, he is playing fairly steadily and there's no sense in breaking up a CB pairing when we aren't conceding many. Maybe later on when he starts having nightmares, switch him for Cuellar (who I'd like to see in for Hutton asap).

I don't mind Collins. He's not the best on the ball, but I don't mind that. He puts his body on the line, makes numerous blocks and tackles. It's only his lack of pace, getting turned and occasionally his distribution that lets him down.

If Clark is to come into the first team next year, I wouldn't mind keeping Collins as our sub defender.

• 2 weeks later...
Â