Alan Hutton

Rich_D

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He does. but the problem is when he gets the ball he cuts inside onto his left foot and loses it, or he goes outside and delivers a cross into the car park.

He very rarely does anything meaningful with the ball in advanced positions.

At LB he seems to be more aware of his limitations because he can't cross with his left foot, so doesn't try. And when he cuts inside he's on his right so has more chance of doing something, ANYTHING, good.

Both Taylor and Hutton are bad. But Taylor is a far far worse player, and Hutton seems better at LB to me. So I'd much rather move Hutton to the left and get Elmo at RB.

Funny how opinions can differ.

Yesterday and last week, I don't think Neil Taylor has been bad at all. Especially yesterday, Taylor was solid, composed under pressure numerous times, and was good defensively - chased back and got back to recover when the ball was played over him twice to the winger. 

Hutton on the other hand was absolutely shocking. Yes - he was OK at LB last season but he was crap yesterday and looked a yard off the pace in his natural position. The fact that Norwich targeted Hutton yesterday should tell you all you need to know. 

In the first half our decent attacks mostly came down the left due to Taylor and Adomah linking well and supporting each other. The amount of times Elmo, Whelan and Tuanzebe had to cover Hutton when he got into the wrong position was shocking. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Funny how opinions can differ.

Yesterday and last week, I don't think Neil Taylor has been bad at all. Especially yesterday, Taylor was solid, composed under pressure numerous times, and was good defensively - chased back and got back to recover when the ball was played over him twice to the winger. 

It is funny. Because I'm honestly astonished anyone can think this about last night (I didn't see Saturday's game).

Defensively he was ok. But I'd describe Taylor as ANYTHING other than composed. he is the literal opposite of that word. If he actually gets the ball, he is a total liability.

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It is funny. Because I'm honestly astonished anyone can think this about last night (I didn't see Saturday's game).

Defensively he was ok. But I'd describe Taylor as ANYTHING other than composed. he is the literal opposite of that word. If he actually gets the ball, he is a total liability.

Yesterday, around the 60/65th minute he was under pressure from two players and was almost certain to lose the ball in our own half. Turned away from one player and played Jack through in which he played in El Ghazi.

Later on in the game he complete sold their right winger a dummy while under pressure again, right next to our box when they were pressing us higher up the pitch. 

Yes, there were times when he tried to launch the ball long and it went out for a throw - but he played in Adomah in behind their fullback which was a great ball over the top in the the first half which got us a corner in the end. 

Just some of the examples to show maybe fans are judging him very harshly.  

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

From what I have seen on twitter and on here I would say at least 50% of fans feel that Taylor was decent last night.

• Like 1

The combo of Hutton and Elmo is probably good from a defensive perspective but so much momentum is lost going forward.

Also for some reason Hutton seemed to be almost playing CB last night and losing out to attackers in the air, did Chester go missing totally.

Agree Taylor has not been terrible, wouldn't say he is good either but no worse than anyone else.

I said it in the summer very over rated and should not have had his xontract extended. He is old and cabt cut it anymore as a firat teamer. I would rather give bree a run of games at th now. Let's start building for the future and lets start at rb.

We also have Elmo who can do well there.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

nearly got 2 assists last night from the highlights both for Tammy I think, when reading the comments before I was expecting him to be anonymous in attacking sense

From the highlights he may have looked half decent but I doubt they showed the countless times he was caught out of position, or the numerous time he received the ball on the wing and did very little with it.

Hutton does very well to get around Elmo at times, but unfortunately his final delivery is awful, and at times he knows it and so plays the ball backwards from a good position.

For me it's now time to give Bree his chance, defensively he may not be as solid as Hutton but if he can ensure he's not caught out of position he shouldn't have to make as many last ditch challenges as Hutton does. Going forward he is a lot stronger than Hutton and will offer more help to Elmo in the opposition half.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

From the highlights he may have looked half decent but I doubt they showed the countless times he was caught out of position, or the numerous time he received the ball on the wing and did very little with it.

Hutton does very well to get around Elmo at times, but unfortunately his final delivery is awful, and at times he knows it and so plays the ball backwards from a good position.

For me it's now time to give Bree his chance, defensively he may not be as solid as Hutton but if he can ensure he's not caught out of position he shouldn't have to make as many last ditch challenges as Hutton does. Going forward he is a lot stronger than Hutton and will offer more help to Elmo in the opposition half.

Put Elmo in RB and someone else right wing.  Adomah and Bolasie perhaps switch.

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

The problem with that, as clearly Bruce knew and Smith has already sussed, is that Bolasie looks light years off being fit to play.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

The problem with that, as clearly Bruce knew and Smith has already sussed, is that Bolasie looks light years off being fit to play.

Kodja can play left wing and Adomha RW.  We have options to get rid of Hutton and replace with experience. 

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Kodja can play left wing and Adomha RW.  We have options to get rid of Hutton and replace with experience. 

Indeed that’s a possible.....it was the Bolasie bit I thought a non- starter.

I can't stand Hutton he's literally always half a yard off his man , gets turned nine times out of ten , he ends up making recovering tackles which gives the Holte end an opportunity to song that stupid Scottish Cafu song , he wouldn't need to make those tackles if he didn't get beat in the first place , he's got nothing going forward , no skill to beat a man , he either stops the ball dead and passes back or he throws himself to the ground , so overrated, old now and past it. 

3 minutes ago, CraigyAVFC1987 said:

I can't stand Hutton he's literally always half a yard off his man , gets turned nine times out of ten , he ends up making recovering tackles which gives the Holte end an opportunity to song that stupid Scottish Cafu song , he wouldn't need to make those tackles if he didn't get beat in the first place , he's got nothing going forward , no skill to beat a man , he either stops the ball dead and passes back or he throws himself to the ground , so overrated, old now and past it. 

Admit it though when he jogs back after another 100 yard sprint that leads to nothing you shout

"GO ON ALAN LAD!!!"

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

nearly got 2 assists last night from the highlights both for Tammy I think, when reading the comments before I was expecting him to be anonymous in attacking sense

The pull back for Tammy when he hit the post was a very good cut back. First half for me he did well, it was second half he tired and allowed them too much space.

2 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Elmo is limited as a right back, he is better at right wing although we should be looking for better than him.

Bree is the future at right back and needs to be given a chance.

15 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Elmo is limited as a right back, he is better at right wing although we should be looking for better than him.

I actually disagree. I think Elmo is far better at RB than RW.

I think that showed last season, although he seemed to have a good understanding with Snodgrass which might have inflated his ability somewhat.

• Like 2

Back in the summer I despaired at the news he was given a new contract, while some on here were doing somersaults, and was shot down in flames. I reiterate...another bad piece of business whatever he's getting paid. Would definitely being looking to promote Bree, and would back Smith to bring out the best in him.

I also think Taylor has looked decent in the last couple of games. Nothing spectacular, but has worked the ball out of tight spaces under pressure well on a few occasions. He even seems to be getting forward with a bit more purpose too. I've been no fan of his over the last couple of seasons but perhaps he was just another victim of Bruce's lackadaisical approach to coaching.

Â