Alan Hutton

Rich_D

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t know why gets so much stick on here and at games, he always gives 100%, ok he’s not the best technically but Spurs paid a fortune for him not so long ago, I love him and his attitude 

Nearly 15 years ago now.   ;)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

If that is your view its utterly pointless us even getting into a discussion on it our views are so diametrically opposed.

I think he is gash as well. I questioned why we have him a new deal in the summer. His best days are behind him.

Maybe as a squad player but as a starter? Not for me. If rather give bree games thete or play Elmo at rb

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think he’s rubbish? I don’t know why he gets so much stick on here. For me, he’s one of the first names on the teamsheet 

Agreed. I think his LB contribution has been phenomenal. I used to be very critical of him in the Prem. Remember having this discussion with one of the Bewdley lads. And I've got to admit he was right and I was wrong. 

He makes the occational blunder like every other player we got, but next to Chester and Grealish, he's probably the first player I'd field. How anyone can't recognize his contributions the last two years is beyond me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not really the sort of comment you like to see on a message board.

Well it’s better than page after page of a debate between people with such polar opposit views that they will never find common ground. Especially when it’s been done a hundred times before over the last 6 or 7 years.

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Agreed. I think his LB contribution has been phenomenal. I used to be very critical of him in the Prem. Remember having this discussion with one of the Bewdley lads. And I've got to admit he was right and I was wrong. 

He makes the occational blunder like every other player we got, but next to Chester and Grealish, he's probably the first player I'd field. How anyone can't recognize his contributions the last two years is beyond me. 

I recognise his contribution. 

I do think that he gives 100% most of the time. And I've said over and over that he's better at LB than he is at right back and continues to be our best option there, imo. I think especially last season he performed pretty admirably.

BUT, he is an extremely limited player. The VP fans tend to get excited because he makes these big breaks forward, but he is utterly useless once he gets in those positions. I think I could count the number of good final balls he's delivered in the past 5 years on one hand.

I've nothing against the guy. He's been treated like shit by the club at times but he's constantly come back and given it his all. I admire him for that.
But he's not a very good player. And the fact he's STILL a first choice full back for us is more of an indictment of our lack of decent transfers for that position in the past few years than it is of his ability, imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's all relative though. You may say he's not a very good player, but he's still one of the better ones we got. If anyone claim we have better left back options, I'd love to be informed. 

He genuinely isn't a very good footballer. Surely you could see this? 

Yes - he has a big heart and gives 100% most of the time. But as of right now, I'd still keep Taylor ahead of him at LB, purely because of the fact we need a left footer at LB and Taylor has actually been decent last couple of games. 

5 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

He genuinely isn't a very good footballer. Surely you could see this? 

relative
/ˈrɛlətɪv/
adjective

1. 1.
    considered in relation or in proportion to something else.
    "the relative effectiveness of the various mechanisms is not known"
    synonymer: comparative, respective, comparable, correlative, parallel, corresponding, reciprocal
    "the relative importance of each factor"

His legacy here will the that he tried really hard.  (for the most time)

For that he'd been payed something like £35-40k/w on average over 8 years for taking part in a total of 140 games here.

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:
relative
/ˈrɛlətɪv/
adjective

1. 1.
    considered in relation or in proportion to something else.
    "the relative effectiveness of the various mechanisms is not known"
    synonymer: comparative, respective, comparable, correlative, parallel, corresponding, reciprocal
    "the relative importance of each factor"

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's all relative though. You may say he's not a very good player, but he's still one of the better ones we got. If anyone claim we have better left back options, I'd love to be informed. 

No he isn't. He is absolutely not one of the better players we have. In fact I'd say he's one of the worst players we have who regularly make the first 11.

I agree he is our best left back option. But considering the only other viable option is one of the worst fullbacks we have ever had at the club, imo (Taylor) it's not saying very much.

Like I said, it's more a sad indictment of our lack of good signings for that position than it is a compliment of Hutton's talent.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think he’s rubbish? I don’t know why he gets so much stick on here. For me, he’s one of the first names on the teamsheet 

That would be part of our problem.

Time to move away from the likeable triers.

48 minutes ago, sne said:

His legacy here will the that he tried really hard.  (for the most time)

For that he'd been payed something like £35-40k/w on average over 8 years for taking part in a total of 140 games here.

You think we should gave paid him more ;)

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You think we should gave paid him more ;)

Nah.

£120.000 per game played seem fair. ?

edit: rounded up for effect, and I'm sure other clubs paid at least part of his wages when out on loan :D 

Edited by sne

I know he is a bit crap but i like him, he seems a good character too. It wasnt his fault a number of managers had him as our main creative threat at times which was painful to watch.

But in recent games under Smith he has been unlucky not to get 3 assists at least and seems to be crossing a lot more to feet

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Well it’s better than page after page of a debate between people with such polar opposit views that they will never find common ground. Especially when it’s been done a hundred times before over the last 6 or 7 years.

Tbf thats probably 90% of threads on VT :mrgreen:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

No he isn't. He is absolutely not one of the better players we have. In fact I'd say he's one of the worst players we have who regularly make the first 11.

I agree he is our best left back option. But considering the only other viable option is one of the worst fullbacks we have ever had at the club, imo (Taylor) it's not saying very much.

Like I said, it's more a sad indictment of our lack of good signings for that position than it is a compliment of Hutton's talent.

Alright then, good you cleared that up. By the very definition of that he's one of the best players we have. Unless the idea here is that you don't put your best players in your first eleven. 

Â