Alan Hutton

Rich_D

When their CM got the ball for their second goal, I saw where Hutton was and just knew that he wouldn't be able to get across to stop the ball being crossed in. To be fair, both full backs for us were narrow every time Norwich attacked us. This was something very noticeable at times last season for us. Anyone remember the Wolves away game where we pretty much played that same way and got beat? 

That defence needs sorting badly but first, they need a goalkeeper that instills confidence in them!

• Like 1

You won’t find me arguing, he is an awful player. Not sure why he is still in our team to be honest. I would have hoped that Smith had been more radical with the team early on. Still looks like a Bruce team on paper.

When there's not much on he does give us some drive going forward, he overlapped well with Elmo on more than one occasion.

Problem is both he and Taylor were often right up the pitch when we were careless with the ball, Norwich move it quickly and leaving massive gaps on both sides at the back was too easy for them. So he wasn't helped by how slack we were in possession, but it's true his positioning can be bad too. Hard to say at the moment but I still think he can be an asset at this level, hopefully when they've had more time to get them organised better off the ball, and covering for each other when possession gets turned over especially we won't look as frail. I'd say we've got other priorities in Jan as we've got a few right backs on the books ;)

Might be time to try one of the younger ones out though, Da Laet has looked like there might be a player in there but he's in Melbourne... 

Just now, thejoker said:

You won’t find me arguing, he is an awful player. Not sure why he is still in our team to be honest. I would have hoped that Smith had been more radical with the team early on. Still looks like a Bruce team on paper.

YEah, he has said you can't just come in and change everything at once, change has to be bit by bit, so I spose he didn't want to change too much too soon. Going to be a long process this.

• Like 1

Said it before and I'll say it again.

Hutton is a better left back than he is a right back.
And he's not a particularly good left back.

I know Smith is just going back to basics and putting everyone in their natural position. And I know bruce was lambasted for playign everyone out of position.

But Hutton at Left back and Elmo at RB would be far better than our current situation. Taylor is appalling. And Hutton is slightly better at LB than RB.

A back four of 

Elmo, Axel, Chester, Hutton

is only one player away from our back four of last season which was excellent.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2018 at 19:03, Dr_Pangloss said:

I wouldn't have at all been bothered if we would have let him go. Parts of the fan base are simply watching him play with their eyes closed, he's really not very good at all, whether he's at right or left back.

I don't think its so much that, He is like many of our players, good bits and bad bits.

but he is getting older and players can only defy the clock for so long.....He is too easily beaten lately and yes his positional play is really questionable.

Problem is when we play like that second half, we could all write a piece on all of our players.

41 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t agree, I’d much rather have a left footed player at LB than Hutton. 

I would too. If that left footed player wasn't Neil Taylor.

Hutton is our best LB. Which is **** ludicrous, but it's true.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t agree, I’d much rather have a left footed player at LB than Hutton. 

Taylor has been the better of the two, so I'd keep Taylor at LB and bring in Bree at RB. Give him a run of games.

49 minutes ago, romavillan said:

When there's not much on he does give us some drive going forward, he overlapped well with Elmo on more than one occasion.

He does. but the problem is when he gets the ball he cuts inside onto his left foot and loses it, or he goes outside and delivers a cross into the car park.

He very rarely does anything meaningful with the ball in advanced positions.

At LB he seems to be more aware of his limitations because he can't cross with his left foot, so doesn't try. And when he cuts inside he's on his right so has more chance of doing something, ANYTHING, good.

Both Taylor and Hutton are bad. But Taylor is a far far worse player, and Hutton seems better at LB to me. So I'd much rather move Hutton to the left and get Elmo at RB.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Both Taylor and Hutton are bad. But Taylor is a far far worse player, and Hutton seems better at LB to me. So I'd much rather move Hutton to the left and get Elmo at RB.

Perhaps Bruce was onto something then and we have made a terrible mistake. Is it the players that are the reason as to why we are so bad, nothing to do with coaching/team selections at all... 

Makes one wonder doesn’t it...

Edited by Tayls

32 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Perhaps Bruce was onto something then and we have made a terrible mistake. Is it the players that are the reason as to why we are so bad, nothing to do with coaching/team selections at all... 

Makes one wonder doesn’t it...

No I think Bruce had a lot to do with it.

But like I said before, we had one of the best defences in the league last season, and for the most part it was Chester and Terry at CB, Hutton at LB and Elmo at RB. We still have 3 of those 4 components. Terry was obviously a huge part but I don't think there's an issue  keeping the other three the same.

Both Hutton and Taylor are crap. But Taylor is by far a poorer option imo. And Elmo is a better RB than Hutton, so it's win win.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No I think Bruce had a lot to do with it.

But like I said before, we had one of the best defences in the league last season, and for the most part it was Chester and Terry at CB, Hutton at LB and Elmo at RB. We still have 3 of those 4 components. Terry was obviously a huge part but I don't think there's an issue  keeping the other three the same.

Both Hutton and Taylor are crap. But Taylor is by far a poorer option imo. And Elmo is a better RB than Hutton, so it's win win.

The other issue we have is that Chester is playing at 60% of his level last year. 

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

The other issue we have is that Chester is playing at 60% of his level last year. 

Which is probably due to not having Terry next to him and the constant rotation in the defence.

I think with Axel settling in next to him, assuming his performances stay as high as they looked last night, Chester will get back to his best.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic.

Â